ride opinion of 2011 e tec

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't quite agree with you on that. This proto 154 out-pulled and out-climbed good 163 with DJ kit. From my experience, the DJ kit is a good improvement for 2010 & older XP's (gotta watch the RPM not going over onto the Rev limiter tho). It might also work on the 2011's once all shakes out, but we'll see that next year. The e-Tec had all on the hill in awe! And came back down with 115 hard & deep kms on it, still on main tank...win...win! Started 1st or 2nd pull hot or cold or after being on it's lid.
The 2011 kicked the ch!t out of all 800's we compaired it to, clutching is sometimes a personal taste thing. :)
I also belive the non ported track makes a difference.
I cant wait for my "skinny" freeride to come next fall:d:d

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys:

Just to weigh in a bit. I rode one of the 2011 prototypes this weekend with Dare Ya. It did not have the Etech engine, but had the 2011 chassis. Four or five other guys must have rode it as well. Everyone came back with "Doo finally got it right".

There was a good 3" of pow where we were at Mustang Powder. I was over-riding this thing for most of the morning - I was was riding it just like my 2010 600 Etech. After I listened to Rene and just turned the bars more and kept from trying to pull the sled over too much - wow. Turns on a dime in the pow with minimal body english. Great chassis. Even made this no-talent hack look competent (barely).:d

Only (small) gripe. Little more skitterry on the trail up. And it was whooped up big time. I will more than forgive that for the sun that thing was in the powder!

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found the answer to your question on a parts site: $739 for the Calibrated E-Tec Module. Was riding with a Cat last weekend that had his go up in smoke, and he was talking between $1250 and $2000! I have a couple friends riding the 600e-Tec and they've not had a concern about them; no failures so far.

The e-Tec 800 has more than horsepower gain; more torque (and you really know it when you pull the trigger anywhere over 70mph), better fuel range(mpg's), less oil. In over 40 years of sledding who'd have thunk they(BRP leading) could have ever taken factory stock engines this far.
I watched the Summit e-Tec challenge a Turbo'd Nitro within inches on a good hill, and found out later that the Nitro needed yet an extra 6 to $10grand worth of mods to better show it's heavy hp, and he was Not burning less fuel.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ridehard, Im` guessin being from St.Paul that you are part of the Power Merchants crew that had that sled up in Mcbride. I agree this sled sounds great and just may be my new ride next year but please do not compare turbos to stockers!! There are lots of guys runnin turbos right now that dont know how to dial them which once learned properly is easy. A turbo that is running poor is almost worse than stock but once you figure them out there is no comparison. Dont get me wrong I like doo and might switch over. P.S. There is lots of snow left in Golden, send me a PM and so we can plan a spring trip and play turbos and stockers with your new toy:d:d:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....please do not compare turbos to stockers!! There are lots of guys runnin turbos right now that dont know how to dial them which once learned properly is easy.....

I agree ^^^, while the 800 etec is likely a capable sled, it will not take down any properly set up turbo Nytro, and it will not even be in the ball park. The XP chassis is good, but its does not have the ability to make up for a comparative loss of almost 100 HP. Also, the Nytro being a 4 stroke will still be running on its first oil change when the 800 etec is getting its 2nd top end done. Yes 4 strokes need more $$ to setup initially, but they also last longer too. :D

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not say that the e-Tec took down a Turbo, instead did say that the two were very close in our recent ride. I originally thought there was something ailing the Turbo that we compared with until I spoke with a knowledgeable mod friend. He informed me that unless yet more dollars were put into that set-up that they generally would not out-do a decent-running 860kit, and that a dealer in southern AB who took the e-Tec800 out of an MXZ and installed it into a Summit chassis early in the year had been running quite close to the 860's.
Please do not get me wrong, I do understand the capabilities of a strong-running 300+ hp, and Highly modded chassis Turbo, and there is very little comparisons made there except for the kind of sledding that each is best suited for. There just seems to be a (mis-)interpretation(?) out there of what one might expect to get for $25,000 versus $15,000, that it looks like I've opened a discussion on.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since we are talkn about pricing, I just want some feed back on what everyone thinks of the extra 2G on the price tag of this sled compared to the competition. Im willn to spend the extra dough but just cant see where its goin. Also wanted to point out that a new 800 with boost can be put together for about 20000 not 25000. example 2011 dragon155 13000 and boost bullies complete turbo installed around 7000.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not say that the e-Tec took down a Turbo, instead did say that the two were very close in our recent ride. I originally thought there was something ailing the Turbo that we compared with until I spoke with a knowledgeable mod friend. He informed me that unless yet more dollars were put into that set-up that they generally would not out-do a decent-running 860kit, and that a dealer in southern AB who took the e-Tec800 out of an MXZ and installed it into a Summit chassis early in the year had been running quite close to the 860's.
Please do not get me wrong, I do understand the capabilities of a strong-running 300+ hp, and Highly modded chassis Turbo, and there is very little comparisons made there except for the kind of sledding that each is best suited for. There just seems to be a (mis-)interpretation(?) out there of what one might expect to get for $25,000 versus $15,000, that it looks like I've opened a discussion on.

I rode that sled several times, it is a mountain goat!!!
But it has a 173 - 3 1/4 inch track ( I think) and it did not climb over mountains, it just moved them out of the way.
It might not have been the fastest up the hill, but would not stop climbing and the 800 had enough power to keep the track spinning
I also rode it when it was in the MXZ and was excellent with quick throttle response, great fuel mileage and a wider power band, pulling all the way through the RPM's

skookum1

Reaction score
I was there, in Mcbride with the 2011 etec. Simply amazing. We rode in the Dor, in the climb past the glacier, aprox 10-12 high marking runs, a woman gets on the etec (she's cool) she blows past every mark. I've spent thousands on reliable horse power gains and changes to suspension and geometry that has made big differences in my ride. For the 1500 or 2000 more for the etec, Buy it, Ride it, Have Fun, have Warranty, It's more agile, your thumb does'nt hurt any more, Go back farther, Use less gas & oil, and come Back with a grin. Yes we're in a recession and I can't afford it next year, but the Bang for your Buck is here. Happy for those that can Doo It.:)

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've just "said" more than you might realize. I rode the 600e-Tec enough this year to realize that besides the thumb thing that at very few times or places it was noticeably outperformed by the good and bigger hp 800R. Cleaner engine also seemed like more precise power delivery in all conditions. That's why I think the 800R e-Tec is coming on so hard at this time. No other engine or fuel system seems anywhere in the ball-park. It will likely be a while before the others get to second base with this new Home Run.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've just "said" more than you might realize. I rode the 600e-Tec enough this year to realize that besides the thumb thing that at very few times or places it was noticeably outperformed by the good and bigger hp 800R. Cleaner engine also seemed like more precise power delivery in all conditions. That's why I think the 800R e-Tec is coming on so hard at this time. No other engine or fuel system seems anywhere in the ball-park. It will likely be a while before the others get to second base with this new Home Run.

Ridehard:

I totally agree. The only time this entire year that the 600 Etech seemed outclasses by the 800R was two weekends ago - deep, deep heavy snow (have to get those pics up)

skookum1

Reaction score
And I'm agree in with you both. The Summit 600 etec I rode in Chappel earlier this year amazed me. It was hard to get stuck. It climbed everything. You did'nt go up as fast, I had to occasionally carve my way up to keep the RPM up, I still made it to the top, and I had time to think and enjoy the climb. I think that if more people rode this machine, many would say that's the machine to own. But some of us need more power, including me. So the solution is, buy the wife or kid the 600 Etec and it will also be your spare, and you'll have fun riding either. :)

Last edited:

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I'm agree in with you both. The Summit 600 etec I rode in Chappel earlier this year amazed me. It was hard to get stuck. It climbed everything. You did'nt go up as fast, I had to carve my way up to keep the RPM up, you still made it to the top, and you had time to think and enjoy the climb. I think that if more people rode this machine, many would say that's the machine to own. But some of us need more power, including me. So the solution is buy the wife or kid the 600 and it will also be your spare and you have fun riding either. :)

Skookum - that funny. 13 yr old daughter rode my 600 etec at beginning of March this year and would not get off of it. Checked the new 800 Etech - so I have a new sled and a great spare....

Top Bottom