Revelstoke SAR - 25 Rescues in December and January!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it, i'm with SAR's and a good majority with the LATEST AND GREATEST sleds and gear. Unfortunitely NO REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE......ohya maybe internet experience hahahaha.
Lots of swelled heads out there, till trouble comes. I haven't riden all Dec. accept doing rescues...

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats alot of rescues for that short of time. Use your heads people! Don't ride above your pay scale. These guys are volunteers. There employers don't pay them when they are out looking for you because your testosterone was maxed out and your brain was on low tide. JMHO.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost all for sledders too, kinda paints us with the meathead brush. Use your heads and pack what you need to take care of yourself and/or do a sled recovery.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were a few of these situations at Blue Lake on Monday and Tuesday this week as well. It only too S&R 10 minuites to find them whithin a km of the cabin at 2:00 AM.

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im far from backwoods experienced, but im learning and it common sense. don't all sledders carry the basics to fix what they can and the basics for a night out in the bush? ive been a couple times where I was a little panicy as to where we are but then i realize that if I had to spend the night or half ass fix a broken part to limp out to safety I could. its like the motorcycle world( less the terrain and cold) guys buy new bikes and go learn to ride it in Sturgis or Daytona. its like people are to proud ask for help or advice. carry the basics to get out of a bind and don't be a typical alberta oil patch hero with the big turbo sled and go show how big your pecker Is. don't ride past the abilities
of the weakest rider. with the world of electronics an apps get a gps an use it. or carry on with your ride and when your done for the day call stars. they will come get ya and you can do it again next time. point being that it gives new riders a bad name. use your heads and leave the macho, I know all attitude behind , and learn the basics before you ruin it for everyone else. just my thoughts. maybe little off topic but oh well. I hope that rescue is still available if I ever need them

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're they young males raised by video games and now over paid and lazy at work. I have rode the hills for 20 plus years and never come close to spending the night. It all comes down to decisions you make during the day. Looks bad on sledders. Another good reason for the govt to keep us In one area. Some people don't get it.

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
Sounds Like people who have money to buy the NEW fancy toys but have not a CLUE about outdoor survival . I always carry extra cloths food for two days and fire starter I hunt alot and run hounds in the summer and winter so the woods is my home and I am comfortable in the woods . learn a compass people GPS dont always work...... my:twocents::twocents:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been mostly young rider's actually.
Hate to say it but the middle aged male group are the worst, many with some riding experience and pretty nice equiptment....but maybe alittle too cocky and never learn't to respect the enviroment he's in.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW, figure i'll relate the last rescue we went on, just before Xmas.
Hunters range riding area, women calls. Her and her friends husband/boyfriend were out snowmobiling in the Hunters range area and have not come back to club cabin.
Next morning we found both men stuck with one sled between GordonSydney cabin and main cabin in the drainage, the other sled approx. 1km away out of fuel. Both dudes as high as a kite and both sleds had empties in them.
BTW not young men.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hunters range riding area, women calls. Her and her friends husband/boyfriend were out snowmobiling in the Hunters range area and have not come back to club cabin.
Next morning we found both men stuck with one sled between GordonSydney cabin and main cabin in the drainage, the other sled approx. 1km away out of fuel. Both dudes as high as a kite and both sleds had empties in them.
BTW not young men.

Must have been all that damn Atari machine that melted their brains.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW not young men.

Big thanks to you Lund and all the SARS volunteers for saving people behaving stupidly. Certainly not just a young person's affliction.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW not young men.
I would have made a trail for them to walk out....

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
BTW not young men.

I would have left them there to Sober up.. then smacked there heads together to maybe get the last brain cells working ...

BXP-88

Reaction score
BTW not young men.

How dissapointing..... its the jokers like this, high and drunk on the hill that put everybody at risk!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, ya i do shake my head when we come accross this type of situation. But each call out are some what unknown and better a rescue then a recovery.
SAR can only rescue and is its #1 priority. Anything else like penalties, fines ect. is up to the RCMP and Crown. Generally unlikely to happen in most cases.
Unless the politicians change the rules regarding rescues.

I would recommend anyone to join SARs, it is a sobering experience in what you see out there. But most cases i would like to think it is just bad luck and poor judgement....like they say POOP happens, be glad SARs guys are more then happy to help you out.

Top Bottom