Renegade Battery Light, Beeping and other Weird Behaviour

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to get the 05 600 HO SDI out of the trailer after the ride on Friday and I can't get it started properly. Ran fine on the ride and when it was put in the trailer. Started ok when I went to take it out but would die when going into reverse - did this a couple of times then the battery light and beeping started.
Symptoms are:
- Battery Light Flashing
- Steady Fast Beeping
- E-start worked at first but then locked out
- Pull start gets the engine started but won't stay running
- When 'running' it revs up and then almost dies (several times before finally quitting) - headlights come on and go off in sync with engine

Troubleshooting:
- Checked battery voltage. OK at 12.5v
- Put charger on for a while to fully charge it
- Checked battery connections and grounding
- Pulled 30A fuse at battery and replaced
- Pulled battery + lead off and put back on a couple of minutes later (reboot system?)
- Checked all fuses
- Pulled relays out and put them back in
- Moved relays to different locations
- Pulled relay/fuse block off and checked wiring on backside
:confused:

Anyone have other ideas?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other weird behaviour: kneeling on the seat makes a sound like a not-very-loud car horn that comes from the engine compartment. Only kneeling right in the middle does this and it's something I've never noticed before. Could be just the sound of air purging out but weird anyway.

The e-start does not work at all so that must be the clue here. Push the start once and it goes through its get-ready procedure but push a second time and nothing happens. Pulled the plugs and they were flooded from trying to start earlier.

Could this have something to do with the RER?
Also what is relay R4 for? R4 is not listed on the label.

Last edited:

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked battery this morning and it is at 12.5v. Pulled battery out and it is the original from 2005 so I am going to replace it anyway.

Still doing the same thing this morning: push start once and everything powers up, press a second time and nothing happens except the battery light flashing and fast beeping. The e-start motor doesn't even try to engage. Makes me think its more than battery.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the noise you are hearing when you kneel on the seat is your fuel tank venting, took me a bit to figure it out too. lol
as for the bat light on replace battery and start there, they do wierd things when the batteries are not fully charged, may have full 12.5 volts but not enough amp. to start or run engine electrics.
R4 is not even in my sled not sure what it is supposed to be for either. check all the wires at starter for corrosion and security as well. also were the ground goes from the starter to the chassis.
replace plugs as possibly ng as sometimes they just fail for no reason, have had a few do that.
sounds to me like there is a corroded wire possibly. or a faulty relay/solenoid in the system. good luck. gotta love electronics

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does that machine have a DESS Tether cord?
unit will still start and idle with a faulty dess cord as long it is on, it just will not rev over 3 000 rpm
however it does sound the same as what it will do if the dess cord is not even on the unit try wiggling the cord and see if the e start will work

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as for the bat light on replace battery and start there, they do wierd things when the batteries are not fully charged, may have full 12.5 volts but not enough amp. to start or run engine ... good luck. gotta love electronics
Load checked the battery with 12 watt light and voltage dropped enough to be under 12.3v in a hurry - without load it drifted back up to 12.5v. Had a brand new truck battery in the shop and rigged it up to the sled leads. Hit the start button once, then hit it again and BOOM the sled started in less than a second! Hopefully that is problem solved. Get a new battery tomorrow.

newbornrider

Reaction score
Yeah my rev acts up sometimes to I just turn it off for 5 min unhook the box then plug it back in and start it let it warm up real good then hit the reverse and give it a quick hit of throtel sp she starts then the beeping will go awaybor ur dess key is dirty with dust

Top Bottom