Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throwThe torch;
be yours to hold it high
.If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Thanks to all that have served, are serving and mostly to those that have giving there lives so we can do these things we love to do:flagca: Last year we were at Quartz and took a break at 11:00 for a moment of thought, I hope other will bo the same:beer:

Attachments

• remembrance-poppy.jpg
    remembrance-poppy.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 136

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
I Don't usually post long wordy stuff...but this seems relevant...worth the read.

A lesson that should be taught in all schools . . And colleges

Back in September, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren,

a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School, did something not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room

they discovered that there were no desks.

'Ms Cothren, where're our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me

how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behaviour.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behaviour.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period,

third period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms.Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher

who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the

puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless

classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day

no one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done

to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily

found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of

her classroom and opened it.

Twenty-seven (27) War Veterans, all in uniforms,

walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk.

The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall...

By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in

place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks

had been earned..

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks.

These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens.

They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
we will be shutting down our site for the moment of silence......RIP to all those who have given they're lives for the freedoms we enjoy, and thanks to all those still fighting for the rights and freedoms of others and for what they believe. soldiers are a special breed, thanks to all of you for everything you do.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was growing up in small town Sask in the 60's the principle and some of the teachers were vertran's and we were always reminded. Generations from my Father in Korea to uncles and grand fathers in WW2, I will never forget.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
My dad fought in ww2 in Holland, France and Italy he was a Big part of the legion and was always out there selling poppies all make sure i always Have one all year around (hangs on My sunvisor) RIP dad

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the majority of kids now days really know what Remembrance Day is....it's not a day off from school. It's a time to remember those that have fallen, and to honor those that are serving still. I hope my kids both know the value in Remembrance Day, and know how important it is to remember those that have sacrificed so much for our freedom......

I WILL REMEMBER.....my grandfather that served in the 1st Batallion of the Canadian Scottish Regiment in the 2nd World War.....fought on the front lines in Normandy. He had some stories to tell....all documented in a book "Ready for the Fray" by R.H. Roy.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our kids had a beautiful ceremony today and they featured a slideshow with pictures of grandparents and family members who have served. As the music played and old sepia pictures flashed across the screen a tear went down my cheek. My grandpa looked like a baby in his photo... It was very moving and it sure brought the message close to home for the kids.

I walked through Croatia this summer and visited the place where the first casualty of the Serb-Croat war was killed. It struck me that many of the 18-20 year olds in the smaller towns are actually the children of rape. Soldiers attempted to destroy the muslims and assure their longevity as a race by killing the men and boys and impregnating the women with their babies... In Romania where I went on medical mission this Sept., our university aged translators would recall standing in food lines for milk, only to be turned away after hours of walking. Their government sold any other food that could be exported for profit, leaving them little to eat. Milk spoiled easily and was most commonly passed out at the food lines. Imagine being only 20 years old and having vivid recollection of your country ravaged and families destroyed by communist soldiers...

As a parent, it is my greatest fear that my own children should ever witness such atrocity and pain in their own lifetime. There are no words to express my gratitude for those who fought so that we may remain free and for those who continue to fight. May we never forget.

Last edited:

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a Ladies Aux of the the Legion Br 213 meeting and setting up the hall for Remembrance Day Service......Let us all not forget what tomorrow is and no matter what you are doing tomorrow at 11am let us all have 1 mins of silence to remember the fallen soldiers and the ones still fighting for freedom.......Lest we forget....

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be thinking fond thoughts of the vets in my family and remembering those that served with them. I will be thinking of and hoping for the safety of all those that serve for us now. I will be wondering at the generosity of soldiers who sacrifice themselves for the betterment of another country and the people who live their and cannot defend themselves. To all I have mentioned thank you.

Alfred

Reaction score
I will also be thinking of my father who was wounded three times and many of my family relatives who gave there lives. They will not be forgotten.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all our present and past veterans. Glad to have my nephew Mackensie home from 3 tours in Afghanistan safe and sound.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
God bless every one of the veterans who fought and those who gave their lives for our right to live our lives the way we do today. :canadaflag:
Protect those that are still fighting the on going battles.
Educate your kids, make them think about what they have and why they have it.
Thanks Grand Dad!:beer:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a link to an article a good friend of ours was asked to write. shows what military families sacrafice.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
LEST WE NEVER FORGET......... IN MEMORY OF SEVERAL OF MY UNCLES AND AUNTS THAT FOUGHT IN WWII, AND TO MY DEPARTED FATHER IN-LAW WHO FOUGHT IN SEVERAL WARS ON TOUR, ESPECIALLY THE HOLLAND TOUR DUTY.

THIS WAS E-MAILED TO ME YESTERDAY:

Snack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation.

'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me.
'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that snack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time...

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard a soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a snack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to base.'

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten snacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'
'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class.

'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars..

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base.
I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich.
God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers.

As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country.. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to ' Canada ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
instead of raising our arm to hold a gun...can we not raise our arm to extend and shake a hand...

thanks to our Vets and all the families that have lost someone to war...TODAY AND EVERYDAY... is a day for us to be proud to be Canadian!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Our busy shop shut down for 1 minute....... Even had a customer paying a bill, and when the radio stopped for the minute, he took his hat off and said he'd wait with us................................ I had a tear in my eye;)

Top Bottom