Relatively new to sleds

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy my first sled for this winter, and am going to be getting a used XP.
I have a pretty decent background in quads and dirtbikes but haven't rode a sled in years and have never personally owned my own.

It will most likely be a 08-10 just to stay on a budget I have set. Leaning towards a renegade at the moment but may buy an MXZ if the right one comes along.

So for 08 anything to look for or ask about on the SDI or the ptek? Other than the engine seems like check that the suspension isn't bent up and the rest is cosmetic? Any XP specific things to look for?
Going to a newer 600, what to look for in the etec? How about the RS sleds that are converted?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the short tracks, the powerplants are the same. If you are only ever going to ride in Sask then a mxz/rene is fine, if you plan on riding the mountains at all you might consider something longer, maybe a backcountry or even a 146.

08 800's are carb'd pteks. 09 the same. There were some early release 800 etecs in 2010, notably called the 2010.05 800 Etec in the short tracks.

As far as 08 motors, the 800's were hit and miss. Some people ran thousands of miles and had no issues, some werent as lucky. 07 wasn't a great year for the 800 and people questioned if some carry over 07's made it into the 08. I don't believe that was the case but the isoflex lubed bearings in the 800R blocks, especially on the crank stub (pto) side of the '08 tended to puke out its isoflex and many people never caught it in time and ran them to the point where it could cause failure.

Any 08 that has had the motor replaced is fine. Only a small handfull of 09's had premature crank issues. With anything running 8000rpm for extended periods of time there is a chance of failure. The crank runout on my 09 was at max spec before 3000 miles, I ran it another season without any issue after doing a top end. I could have replaced the crank but it was just easier to get a complete short block.

The 600etecs are great motors. Again, not many found in the mountains, but of the ones I have ridden I was surprised at the power they made. It was a very linear power, almost electric. Not as much as a 800, but still nice, especially for trail and light off trail use.

Items specific to the XP chassis are broken, bent, twisted and so on S- modules. Under the sled there are two moduels, the S and E which basically hold and support the entire front end and its components. The S (suspension) modules are very easily tweaked. It is easy to see if you look at the a-arms. The springs will not be centered in the upper arm. One will be forward, the other further back. As long as they are not touching the arm I wouldn't worry much about them. I have never seen an XP ridden off trail without a tweak or two to the S module. None of them are perfect. A half inch of spring distance once way or the other I would call normall. More than that, maybe worthly of replacing, but I would just ride it.

The E module essentially replaces the Nun, or the flying nun that used to be found in the Rev chassis. There can be tweaks to both the S and E, but it would have had to take a pretty hard hit.

Obviously look at track lugs, make sure none or no major amount of them are missing. Look under it and roll it on its side to check the front heat exchanger, look for obvious damage. Grab the secondary and move it back and forth with the brake on. 2-3 mm of play max for that, more play could mean excessive play in the chain. Adjust the chain tensioner finger tight and try again.

I could go on and on but check out dootalk as well. Its a great resource, especially for short tracks.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, still looking around to see what I can find. Not too many 600s around here either, and at that they are mostly the SDIs

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think the sdi is a bad motor! I talked to a guy a few years ago in Golden and he had 6500 km on his 600 sdi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda money are you wanting to spend? I have the perfect Saskatchewan sled for sale but it may be more that your looking to spend. It's a 2012 renegade bcx 800 137" track. $11500 I bought it new dec 2011. This sled is mint

Last edited:

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to research the SDI more before I decide to go with one or not. Good 600s are few and far between around here and there is a lot of pteks but I have to take their potential issues into consideration.

What I am going to do depends heavily upon if I sell my quad this weekend or not and also what kind of price quote I get on a backcountry from the dealer here.
Why are you selling yours drew?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either way Ur going to want a 800

I had a 600ho summit. It was allright but was shy of 25 hp to a 800.

A SDI has 15 more hp over a 600 etech.

If ya get a older 600ho u can put older 700 cylinders on and head , 670 ho pistons and get 145 hp with way more snap that a 800.

Big john from dootalk does tons of them.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to go with an 800, now I just have to find one I like.

What are you guys paying for new renegade backcountry's?

Top Bottom