Reinstalling M8 rear skid, help needed

mustard73

Reaction score
So I removed the rear skid on my 2007 M8 to do a track swap. I got the track in, diamond drive, brakes and the 2 front bolts for the skid all bolted up. Now I'm having trouble getting the rear 2 bolt holes to line up with the brackets on the tunnel :mad:. I need the mounting point on the suspension to go ahead about 1/2 to 3/4" but am scratching my head a little here because I thought they would just line up....

Anyone else run into this problem? Any hints?

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I removed the rear skid on my 2007 M8 to do a track swap. I got the track in, diamond drive, brakes and the 2 front bolts for the skid all bolted up. Now I'm having trouble getting the rear 2 bolt holes to line up with the brackets on the tunnel :mad:. I need the mounting point on the suspension to go ahead about 1/2 to 3/4" but am scratching my head a little here because I thought they would just line up....Anyone else run into this problem? Any hints?
Back your shocks all the way off or take them out. Bolt in skid then reinstall shocks

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I removed the rear skid on my 2007 M8 to do a track swap. I got the track in, diamond drive, brakes and the 2 front bolts for the skid all bolted up. Now I'm having trouble getting the rear 2 bolt holes to line up with the brackets on the tunnel :mad:. I need the mounting point on the suspension to go ahead about 1/2 to 3/4" but am scratching my head a little here because I thought they would just line up....

Anyone else run into this problem? Any hints?
Use a ratchet strap from rear arm to front mount to compress rear arm, or remove torsional springs from rails.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just release the tension on the springs and you can put that axle anywhere you like (assuming the stock suspension is still in there).

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What these guys said. Also release your rear idlers/tension as much as possible to give as much wiggle room as possible.

mustard73

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Going to try either the ratchet strap or unload the springs tonight.

Kermit

Reaction score
Put your purse down Nancy and use your man hands!!! Put mine back in last night, no strap on's and works great when it's still tight!!!!! While sleds on its side put front bolts in first, do not tighten all the way, place back on track shiny side up, if you got a buddy handy have them take the weight on the back bumper, if by yourself use bucket and block of wood or something of more technical lifting assistance. Now you can easily line up rear mounting holes by hand and slide bolts in, rest of these suggestions probably work great but are make work projects. Hope this helps and couldn't resist the hard time!

mooseman800

Reaction score
Shoc Removal works, ratchet straps work, and I have also backed off the shock and loosened the rear skid wheel tension on the track and it slips right in.. The first time is always the adventure...:)

cjay

Reaction score
ratchet strap
and a bit of elbow grease
sometimes swearing helps but make sure the doors are closed
also is alot easier with 2 people than 1

Top Bottom