Regulations and insurance.

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey just got a 450SXF recently and was curious about how strictly regulations are enforced with regards to headlights, taillights, spark arrestors etc. I know that we are supposed to have them but do we actually get checked to prove that they are functional? The generator only puts out 42 watts on the bike and the lights require 75ish watts. Needless to say on an electric start only bike I would prefer not to use them. (Wont be riding in the dark anyways).

As far as insurance goes can anyone recommend a decent company? The rates are much higher than I expected and they actually charge more for not having a class 6 which is absolutely ridiculous since this is a off-road use only vehicle.

Thanks

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the area and the c/o how picky they are on the regulations I have never been checked for a spark arrestor and we took the taillights off the ktm's they usually only ever check the insurance and registration get a ktm headlight and put it on the front as long as its there they won't hassle you usually you should have. Spark arrestor as the 4 strokes could backfire however the hot header is more likely to start. Fire

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dont think they will bother you about the lights,hope not or im foobarred,you are right they have different rates for those who dont have a class six,they did this cause beginners were buying bikes like 450 cc and never rode a bike before therefore causing a lot more claims(go figure)I dont totally disagree with this as I been riding my whole life and my 450 scares me every now and then.Unfotunatly a few experienced riders do fall into the trap!
Licence is pretty easy to get and save you about half!

Brock_Landers

Reaction score
Hi, In my experiences in the past I have never has a CO check if my headlight and tail light actually work. The big thing is insurance and registration. I have had buddies get their bikes impounded for not having their documents on them, even though they were insured. And they had to comeback with the papers to prove they had them to get their bike back. If you are not insured or registered its mega fines.

I am also having the same problem finding decently priced insurance for my dirtbike due to my lack of a class 6. I went to the registry and wrote the written exam for the class 6 and it was super easy. I just need to find some one to rent me or lend me a bike to do the road test. (any one in the Lac La Biche area that would be willing to rent me a bike for an hour to do the road test, send me a pm!)

Most of the insurance quotes were $318 per year for plpd. and an extra 300-600 for full coverage, all through Nordic Insurance. the best quote i got was from Margeret at Link Insurance in Calgary (403-286-7777) and she quoted me $292 for plpd and $297 for plpd plus fire and theft. I'm not sure what insurance company that was through but i think thats the one i'll take if i cant find a bike to do my class 6 test.

Hope this helped a bit, Happy riding :)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got mine today,comprehensive with fire and theft for 265,thought that was good considering I knoew dirtbikes were more than quads......250 deductable!

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks.... Ya Im looking at $350 for insuring with no class 6 and thats just liability. Almost as much as my vehicles insurance, a little bit ridiculous its almost worth just taking it to BC and not riding in Alberta.

I've got the class 6 learners as well and done riding school and what not but have the same issue as you for not having a bike to do the test on.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had good rates with state farm (Michelle Broadbent) in St. Albert, and TD Insurance online. My wr450, dual-sported, was less than $300/year.

Attachments

• 2004 wr450 007.jpg
    2004 wr450 007.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 105

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never heard a word about having functional light as mandatory for a off road vehicle of any sorts for insurance purposes.

I had my quad insured through Klondike. They told me after I already had my truck insured that they specialize in motorcycles and atv's. Being a young male with a not so clean drivers abstract I thought I was going to get raped. I was quoted 289 a year for the quad for all perils coverage. 16 bucks difference from pl/pd and all perils.

Or also Primum, I had a honda shadow insured for 316 a year for full coverage.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never heard a word about having functional light as mandatory for a off road vehicle of any sorts for insurance purposes.

I had my quad insured through Klondike. They told me after I already had my truck insured that they specialize in motorcycles and atv's. Being a young male with a not so clean drivers abstract I thought I was going to get raped. I was quoted 289 a year for the quad for all perils coverage. 16 bucks difference from pl/pd and all perils.

Or also Primum, I had a honda shadow insured for 316 a year for full coverage.
the functioning light is to be legal to ride on crown land, must have headlight and tail light. as for enforcement I've never been hassled about it, but it is the law.

Top Bottom