Registration? i cant get a straight answer

Dadeuce

Reaction score
So for riding in BC. do i need registration? some say yes some say no...but i dont know forsure. anybody know?

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
directly from the ICBC web page

Do I have to register my snowmobile?

All snowmobiles must be registered, no matter what they are used for or where they're used.

To register your snowmobile, go to any driver licensing office.

Note: The Burnaby Metrotown location does not offer snowmobile registrations. All other offices offer registration during regular office hours, up to 4:30 pm.

When it's registered, you will be issued two reflective decals. These must be displayed on both sides of the snowmobile.
Do I need licence plates and insurance?

A snowmobile must be licensed and insured if

* it will be crossing a road that the public has access to drive on, or
* it is used in a parking lot.

Before you can license and insure your snowmobile, you must obtain an Operation Permit. This permit states where and when the snowmobile may cross a road. It must be kept with your snowmobile at all times.

For more information about operation permits, or to get one for your snowmobile, please contact your local law enforcement agency.

Once the snowmobile has been registered and has its permit, you can apply to license and insure it, as required by the Motor Vehicle Act. You can do this at any Autoplan broker.

For snowmobiles, a restricted licence plate is issued. The restricted plate shows that the vehicle's use on a highway is limited. (The Operation Permit explains what its use is limited to.)

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah...what Plio said. First I've ver heard of an "Operation Permit" though:confused: For trail or back country riding sleds MUST be registered but insurance is optional. In 30 years of sledding I've been asked for my registration once. It's simply a fricken Tax grab again by the BC Gov.:mad:

croweman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I did a thread on Registration a couple of weeks back so there may be helpful info in there. The short answer is "Yes" you need it.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i beleive there is a loophole in the above said info and you dont need to for snowmobileing on crown land...public roads yes..BC police do not enforce any of the above info.the only thing you might run into is cops looking for stolen sledds ,and 99% of the time they wont even question registration.Now in Alberta you should register and insure your sledd ,the police will give you a ticket for this infraction.maybe some more people on this site can shed some light on what i said with some facts:d

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The gray area is sledders from Ab. I phoned Revelstoke and Clearwater detachements. One said my expired Ab registration would suffice for proof of ownership, the other detachment said I needed current registration as proof of ownership.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I buy a sled, I register it once, and do not renew. I always have insurance though.
I figure that ifit was registered under your own name, and they are looking for stolen sleds, I can easily prove it by showing my expired plate.
I have never been bothered in the last 15 years of heading up to the mountains.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I started quadding/sledding many many yrs ago. I was told, that it is.
Whatever the laws are, from where you are from. Is applicable, across North America.
Law's may have changed, but I have alway's followed that rule of thumb.
Never had a problem.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
registering is a good thing, its only 10 bucks. and in bc you need to have your sled registered before you buy insurance.

"Only $10.00". Where do you register your sleds?:confused: When you go to register a sled in BC your you have to pay the taxes on the purchase price. GST and PST. If it's new, you probably registered and paid the taxes at the time of purchase.
And I don't know of any Loophole as mentioned by Summit1974. It has to registered especially if you're riding on Crown Land, as far as I know.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Only $10.00". Where do you register your sleds?:confused: When you go to register a sled in BC your you have to pay the taxes on the purchase price. GST and PST. If it's new, you probably registered and paid the taxes at the time of purchase.
And I don't know of any Loophole as mentioned by Summit1974. It has to registered especially if you're riding on Crown Land, as far as I know.

yea, with your documentation of the purchased sled and paid taxes, registration is only 10 bucks. you get it at the ICBC office.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea, with your documentation of the purchased sled and paid taxes, registration is only 10 bucks. you get it at the ICBC office.

Oh I see what you're saying..."with documentation of paid taxes"... ya then it's only $10 for registration. My Bad! :beer: If you're registering a used sled that you just purchased privately, then when you go to register it you pay the GST and PST at that time. Can't register it unless the good ol tax man gets his cut:bullrider:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, if your machine is insured just get registration, $45 and your done! Why is it so hard?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
directly from the ICBC web page......
Before you can license and insure your snowmobile, you must obtain an Operation Permit. This permit states where and when the snowmobile may cross a road. It must be kept with your snowmobile at all times.

This province is so mixed up it is hilarious!

Plio7, I don't know if license and register are interchangeable but I don't have to have that permit to get the registration decal on my sled. I don't require insurance unless I ride in town or cross a "highway". For Forest Service Roads it states "may purchase a minimun of $200,000 Third Party Liability.

I attended a "Rendezvous 2005" ride in Kelowna and the registration form said that you needed this "Operator's Permit" because we would be crossing roads/highways.

So, down to the local RCMP I go. Information in hand. I get the permit. There is nothing on it stating where I can cross the highway but it states "snowmobiles must not operate between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise.) I'm assuming that is crossing the highway/road. This permit is issued by the RCMP via ICBC and was issued 18/01/05 and expired 16/04/05. The RCMP told me that this was good throughout the province as long as the insurance is valid.

One of these days, they will straighten out and enforce the registration/insurance process for sleds and quads.

If a sled is properly registered/insured in Alberta or anywhere else in Canada (ie according to the rules where the person lives) it is good to go in BC. Just the same as a car or truck.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh I see what you're saying..."with documentation of paid taxes"... ya then it's only $10 for registration. My Bad! :beer: If you're registering a used sled that you just purchased privately, then when you go to register it you pay the GST and PST at that time. Can't register it unless the good ol tax man gets his cut:bullrider:

you dont have to pay the PST and GST if the machine has previously been registered, because then they will of known that the tax has been paid on that machine previously. if no tax has ever been paid on the machine and its used, then you would have to pay it when registering it.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just registered my used sled. I payed the tax on it, so did the gut before me and the guy that bought it new. Yes it was $10 for registration but it was the same as buying any used vehicle. YOU PAY TAX each time.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
i beleive there is a loophole in the above said info and you dont need to for snowmobileing on crown land...public roads yes..BC police do not enforce any of the above info......

In the past, the RCMP had better things to doo and never or seldom checked for registration of snow machines. Nor did the CO's. The CO's in the east Kootenay's are on a mission in the summer with quads checking for registration, license, helmets, and insurance. Fines are still.

Registration (the little yellow decals) of snow machines is required in BC(whether Crown land or roads) and it is starting to be enforced. The RCMP in Fernie were out to the staging area and told the young lady selling trail passes to inform the riders that they will be out checking for registration. A sort of warning kind of thing.

I'm thinking that ICBC or other insurance companies are starting to put some pressure on someone for all the recent thefts that have been occurring to trucks, trailers, sleds, etc.. An insurance claim for an F350 with a deck, enclosed, 4 sleds, 4 sets of riding gear (boots, pants, jacket, under layer, gloves, back pack, beacons, helmets, goggles) probably doesn't come cheap!

And as BC Sno-Ghost said....the darn taxes! I gotta pay my way one of these days......oh well, maybe tomorrow, eh:d:d:d

Stantheman

Reaction score
Yeah...what Plio said. First I've ver heard of an "Operation Permit" though:confused: For trail or back country riding sleds MUST be registered but insurance is optional. In 30 years of sledding I've been asked for my registration once. It's simply a fricken Tax grab again by the BC Gov.:mad:

Unless you are riding from you back yard you will need insurance. I assume most use some form of staging area where there are many expensive trucks parked. If you slam into my truck you better have insurance or deep pockets.

Top Bottom