Registration-Can't really find an answer

Fratzog440

Reaction score
So I'm from AB, have insurance on my sled but no registration. Just found out about BC's new registration laws after I got here. Is there any way around this or a grace period? Or a way to register a sled over the phone? Because I'm not driving 9 hours home and 9 hours back to get a plate. Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse, but I can't find an answer anywhere and we were planning to ride tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uh, Alberta requires you to register your sled as well. I assume you never ride it in AB though? You basically will have to risk it if you don't want to drive back, you can't get a plate except in person.

Fratzog440

Reaction score
Well that isn't what I was hoping to hear, but thanks for the quick replies guys. I might just try to rip to Banff as soon as I can to avoid a fine.

Fratzog440

Reaction score
Also, just curious if you know what the fine is? In case it's not worth the fuel to Banff.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone checking you should be fine and the ticket would likely be less then fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Where are you riding? The only place that I have heard about them checking has been Revelstoke. Anywhere else is like before......................no checks.

I'm with the guys above, just ride.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go ride, if you happen to get checked be polite and plead ignorance. Probably only get a warning that way.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just ride as well...I register our family's sleds but in this case with it being an oversight or simply a forgotten item I would risk the fine and get registration when I returned home. Good luck and ride safe..

Last edited:

DooDoo

Reaction score
Just go and ride. They haven't been out checking much and like others said, and if they happen to be out just be polite and respectful and you will more than likely get a warning. The cost of fuel to run back into alberta would be way more than the ticket.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Just go ride" that's hilarious. How about following the rules and register your sled and mount the plate. That way you don't have to worry about wasting your gas on a trip just to get turned around at staging area on a deep blue bird day. If you don't want to drill holes do what I did and take a pic of your plate and send it to a print shop and turn it into a decal then stick it on left side of tunnel. Yes they are checking in revelstoke. Sledders have till jan1 to MOUNT their plates or you won't pass through either gate at frisby or Boulder.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go ride, if you happen to get checked be polite and plead ignorance. Probably only get a warning that way.
easy for you to say as being from cranbrooke and probably ride local most of the time. So getting turned around isn't a huge waste of your time. Drive from Alberta and take a chance on conservation officer being Nice and letting you go is gonna cost you more then a plate. I know the rules are different in bc but come on sledders from Alberta it's 50 bucks for a plate. The rules went into affect in November. They are being nice now til jan1 then you won't ride if you get stopped. How do I know? I'm in revy and if you ride Boulder or frisby whoever is managing the ticket booths will let you know.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
"Just go ride" that's hilarious. How about following the rules and register your sled and mount the plate. That way you don't have to worry about wasting your gas on a trip just to get turned around at staging area on a deep blue bird day. If you don't want to drill holes do what I did and take a pic of your plate and send it to a print shop and turn it into a decal then stick it on left side of tunnel. Yes they are checking in revelstoke. Sledders have till jan1 to MOUNT their plates or you won't pass through either gate at frisby or Boulder.

easy for you to say as being from cranbrooke and probably ride local most of the time. So getting turned around isn't a huge waste of your time. Drive from Alberta and take a chance on conservation officer being Nice and letting you go is gonna cost you more then a plate. I know the rules are different in bc but come on sledders from Alberta it's 50 bucks for a plate. The rules went into affect in November. They are being nice now til jan1 then you won't ride if you get stopped. How do I know? I'm in revy and if you ride Boulder or frisby whoever is managing the ticket booths will let you know.

Hey young fellow, I hear you and I mostly agree with you. There is an "educational time frame" for some lea-way and if the OP is respectful and as his opening post states: "So I'm from AB, have insurance on my sled but no registration. Just found out about BC's new registration laws after I got here." It should be okay. There is a gray line here and if he is already here, then there are some complications that IMHO need some sympathy or lea-way. I am sure a warning would be all that would be issued. But when it comes to push and shove, who am I other than an ol' fart who has a sour note about the whole process. Cheers and Happy New Year to ya' milton.

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Except AB has required registration and insurance for years, again, if you never ride in Alberta, you probably didn't care. Not sure how you could miss that BC was changing, there must be a dozen threads on every sled forum about it.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't recall the exact price but it's around $50/year for AB registration which gives you a plate and mount it on your sled. Problem solved... Or don't and get hassled by the cops, been there done that...

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't recall the exact price but it's around $50/year for AB registration which gives you a plate and mount it on your sled. Problem solved... Or don't and get hassled by the cops, been there done that...

We have ins. and reg. on our sleds but plates are under the seats. Have been stopped while ridding and checked several times and never had any problems. But that might just be good luck/right guy doin the checking...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Except AB has required registration and insurance for years, again, if you never ride in Alberta, you probably didn't care. Not sure how you could miss that BC was changing, there must be a dozen threads on every sled forum about it.

BC has required sleds to be registered since 1971. Nothing new here other than ATV's now also require it......and enforcement of course.

Top Bottom