Recoil Help

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i have a 2002 MXZ summit 800, i got a few new parts for the recoil because it wasn't recoiling... Anyways when i started taking the recoil apart the spring shot out. Is there any good way of recoiling the spring? And which way does the spring go in?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
patience is going to be your best friend here... once that spring goes it can be very trying trying to get it back together

ive never had one on a skidoo apart so cant help ya much with the orientation of it

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
usually these suck but its actually not bad on the doo. just put the end that slides into the outer moulding in. and work it around the circle holding your hand on it so it stays down and spin the recoil houseing with your hand to keep working the spring in.

not sure how to explain which way it goes back in.....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
patience is going to be your best friend here... once that spring goes it can be very trying trying to get it back together

ive never had one on a skidoo apart so cant help ya much with the orientation of it

orientation is so that it winds tighter when you pull the rope out and tries to uncoil when you let go and the rope recoils in. The best guide is to try give your neighbour and beer and have him hold it while you try and rewind it. Do a little bit then see if thats the right way. if not stop and go the other way.

Maxwell's right, put the peices together as close as you can and then wind it. trying to fit them together once its got tension on the spring is a Pain in the a$$.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. So i have the recoil back together now, and what seems in working order...Seems to pull out and recoil fine.
But now when i have it on the sled and pull it over it feels like its slipping, it will partially turn it over before sliping. I changed a few of the peices on the recoil to and the red center piece was one of them, Is that not what catches to actually turn the sled over? The old one was considerably worn but seemed to pull the sled over fine....

Last edited:

stiz

Reaction score
how did the teeth that turn out of the spool look and how did the spool itself look? cause i have had problems with the teeth wearing into the spool and they start folding back and shaving the plastic off, if ski-doo has the same set up as polaris has

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did the teeth that turn out of the spool look and how did the spool itself look? cause i have had problems with the teeth wearing into the spool and they start folding back and shaving the plastic off, if ski-doo has the same set up as polaris has

nope its differant

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. So i have the recoil back together now, and what seems in working order...Seems to pull out and recoil fine.
But now when i have it on the sled and pull it over it feels like its slipping, it will partially turn it over before sliping. I changed a few of the peices on the recoil to and the red center piece was one of them, Is that not what catches to actually turn the sled over? The old one was considerably worn but seemed to pull the sled over fine....

yes the red peice catches and turns it over. but you need to make sure when its off the sled when you pull the rope it moves to the very outside of the white ring its concained in. thats how it catches.

a couple causes could be..

1. washer on top that holds everything together must not restrict the parts they need to have a small amount of play so nothing is binding.

2. you need to take all the peices of plastic and remove all the old grease. it gets sticky and can cause it to bind. once its clean test it then you can use a white lithium grease thats very liquid.

Top Bottom