Rear travel

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Arctic Cat Cougar mountain cat. I need to replace the rear shock in it.

But what i was wondering, Is there away to get more rear travel out of this machine? Would like to get rear up an inch if possible. Also would like to know if a 136x1.25 would fit under this machine?

If anybody has any ideas that would be great.

Thanks

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I upgraded a 1997 EXT 580 but it had the ETT tunnel. Not sure how easy it would be pre the ETT tunnel. If your tunnel is indeed the ETT version it can be done quite easily.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I upgraded a 1997 EXT 580 but it had the ETT tunnel. Not sure how easy it would be pre the ETT tunnel. If your tunnel is indeed the ETT version it can be done quite easily.

No it is not the ETT tunnel.

I am thinking that i am just going to leave it the way it is, The machine goes good with how it is setup now, just trying to get a better ride out of it to keep the wife happy.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to fiddle with rear scissor arm to get more travel, then you will need a longer shock. Its been done before, lots. But your rear scissor is what will limit total travel and then your shock. You can add more travel with a shock and longer straps in the front arm too, which will greatly increase her comfort level as well.

Sometimes you can raise the rear just by moving the bottom rear arm mount on the rails, backwards. This will give a little more mechanical advantage to the arm so the shock will feel a little bit different, but without seeing the setup I couldn't really tell you if it will be softer or firmer.

What about just changing out the rear springs to softer ones, she might not be using all of the available travel right now if she is on the smaller side.

I think the 136 will fit. What did it come with stock? I thought they came with 136's.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Modman, I well try moving the rear arm back and see if that help out.

The stock track is 136x.85, Have to replace the track this summer starting rot, was thinking maybe upgrading it to a 136x1.25 if it well fit, have to measure and see if it well clear.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Modman, I well try moving the rear arm back and see if that help out.

The stock track is 136x.85, Have to replace the track this summer starting rot, was thinking maybe upgrading it to a 136x1.25 if it well fit, have to measure and see if it well clear.

Bulkhead clearance is usually the tightest spot. Tape a piece of wood to the track so that the total paddle height is 1.25" and spin it through. If it hits, then you'll have your answer.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to fiddle with rear scissor arm to get more travel, then you will need a longer shock. Its been done before, lots. But your rear scissor is what will limit total travel and then your shock. You can add more travel with a shock and longer straps in the front arm too, which will greatly increase her comfort level as well.

Sometimes you can raise the rear just by moving the bottom rear arm mount on the rails, backwards. This will give a little more mechanical advantage to the arm so the shock will feel a little bit different, but without seeing the setup I couldn't really tell you if it will be softer or firmer.

What about just changing out the rear springs to softer ones, she might not be using all of the available travel right now if she is on the smaller side.

I think the 136 will fit. What did it come with stock? I thought they came with 136's.

ETT tunnel that appeared in 97 made this easy to do.

Top Bottom