Rear suspension set up?

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the proper sag from the bumper is supposed to be when u sit on the machine, I've heard 1" or 3", mines set at 1" but i got that by tightening the front spring which i just heard is the incorrect way to do it, so now i must back it off and pump up the rear shock i guess, Is this correct?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the proper sag from the bumper is supposed to be when u sit on the machine, I've heard 1" or 3", mines set at 1" but i got that by tightening the front spring which i just heard is the incorrect way to do it, so now i must back it off and pump up the rear shock i guess, Is this correct?

should be full instructions in your manual, if ya got one
heres a question, do you like how it handles? if so then dont worry too much!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When you tighten up the front skid frame shock you reduce ski pressure and create a lighter front end under exceleration, this is what you want in the powder. A weak front skid shock = More ski pressure.This may cause you to dive in the fluff instead of floating or getting up on the snow. When I head to the hills I reduce ski pressure (tighten front skid shock spring), loosen the springs on the front shocks (front as in front end, skis..) and diconnect sway bar and remove hardware. This makes my sled float instead of being front end heavy. Our sleds are very similar even though mines a Firecat long track...

If you back off the front skid shock and increase pressure on the rear skid shock (only on the 08 SP Fox Air shocks can you increase rear shock pressure Right?) your sled will want to dive... My experience anyway... if I'm wrong sorry... someone will set me straight I'm sure, but I'm quite confident as this has worked for me over the years. Try it out and see? Like Johny blase said, if you are happy and it works as it is then great! But it is always fun to play around to see what you might like better, As you already know I'm sure, different snow conditions require different suspension set ups on any sled to make it Purr. :)

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
should be full instructions in your manual, if ya got one
heres a question, do you like how it handles? if so then dont worry too much!

No,Not really liking the way it handles as compared to my old 2006 M7. The M7 kept me right on top of the snow, but my M8 feels to be trenching a little, I have heard to loosen the front skid shock to help the machine get up on the snow a little easier, is this correct?

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you tighten up the front skid frame shock you reduce ski pressure and create a lighter front end under exceleration, this is what you want in the powder. A weak front skid shock = More ski pressure.This may cause you to dive in the fluff instead of floating or getting up on the snow. When I head to the hills I reduce ski pressure (tighten front skid shock spring), loosen the springs on the front shocks (front as in front end, skis..) and diconnect sway bar and remove hardware. This makes my sled float instead of being front end heavy. Our sleds are very similar even though mines a Firecat long track...

If you back off the front skid shock and increase pressure on the rear skid shock (only on the 08 SP Fox Air shocks can you increase rear shock pressure Right?) your sled will want to dive... My experience anyway... if I'm wrong sorry... someone will set me straight I'm sure, but I'm quite confident as this has worked for me over the years. Try it out and see? Like Johny blase said, if you are happy and it works as it is then great! But it is always fun to play around to see what you might like better, As you already know I'm sure, different snow conditions require different suspension set ups on any sled to make it Purr. :)

I understand what you are saying, but i thought the limiter strap was what adjusted ski pressure? Im not arguing, just trying to figure this out.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a different brand, but I find in the real deep snow the sled seems to "plane" better when I set the front skid shock 1/2 way on the adjuster, rear torsion springs at the softest position, ski shocks on the softest setting and my limiter straps tightened almost all the way up. I wiegh about 220 with all my gear on and was setting the suspension on the "hard" side with poor results. Then, maybe my sled is just training me,LOL. Hope this works for you. At least this only costs you time , not money.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but i thought the limiter strap was what adjusted ski pressure? Im not arguing, just trying to figure this out.

Yah... you're right, I assumed the Limiter straps were already adjusted for powder conditions as it's an M8? If the straps are too tight and keep the front of the skid from dropping then you will suffer in the deep snow. Since '03 Cat went to a factory "dropped and rolled" type configuration. This changed the way the lmiter straps contributed to the Floatation issue, a bit anyway.

However, there alot of guys on this site that can give you WAY better advise then I can when it comes to setting up your sled for powder. I've been riding for 30 years but my newest ride is only an '04 hybrid sled and I ride a bit of everything. Hope you get the advise you are looking for. :rolleyes:

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A better way to get up on top of the snow, would be to buy an XP!!!LOL

Thats funny you say that, cause even with my sled trenching i still out climbed those, what do you call them, "XP's"

Not being a jerk, just joining the fun.

Top Bottom