Really stuck cant get the belt off the King cat 900 .. Im stuck HELP please

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
Hey guys and Gals

New to the whole owning a Cat Its a 04' king cat 900 162' I cant find a mechanic manual online . I am green to the whole sledding mech stuff I am stuck to getting the belt off my wifes machine ? my Pro I have a Key for it and its simple but this kitty cats getting to me . anyone have a diagram of how to take the belt off lol simple I know but Im stuck lol :beer:

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the secondary clutch grab the helix push in and turn towards the rear of your sled. This opens the secondary allowing the belt to come off.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The older cats were a torsional clutch set up so you can push and turn with the helix angle. No tools required

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It helps to lift the track off the ground while you are taking the belt off, then usually you can just turn the secondary with your hand and slowly pry it off.

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
Thanks Cat401 sent the wife in to get her dirty work cloths on to come and learn to fix her machine instead of me pulling wrenches on her cat or her car lol lol

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's real tight, you will have to get the belt a bit lower in the secondary, then work it off by releasing the brake and rolling it off the secondary.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the belt is a bit tight put the brake on, open the secondary then pull upwards on the belt forcing the belt into the bottom of the secondary. You can now let go of everything as the spring tension will hold the belt in place and keep the clutch open. Release the brake and roll the sled backwards with the secondary as you work the belt off the top side of the clutch.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The belt on the Cats are a PITA to remove and install compared to some of the other brands out there. My wife rides an M8 and if she had to re&re the belt on her own she wouldn't be able too.
Unlike Polaris and Doo that make it simple to do with a tool.
I use mech. gloves to doit, it realy helps and only on my Cat i fight with the belt.....if i have to remove it and that is VERY rarely.

SledHead RMK

Reaction score
The belt on the Cats are a PITA to remove and install compared to some of the other brands out there. My wife rides an M8 and if she had to re&re the belt on her own she wouldn't be able too.
I use mech. gloves to doit, it realy helps and only on my Cat i fight with the belt.....if i have to remove it and that is VERY rarely.

Yeah it was not easy to get it off but probably mostly Me. Cause Im new to the whole sled thing if it was my 450f I can fix anything on it lol

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

On my m8 you take the bolt out of the secondary turn the washer around and put it back in. As you tighten the bolt it opens the secondary up then the belt comes off easy peasy.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my m8 you take the bolt out of the secondary turn the washer around and put it back in. As you tighten the bolt it opens the secondary up then the belt comes off easy peasy.

The older sleds don't have that option....just have someone lift the back of the sled to lift the track off the ground. Starting at the top of the secondary clutch, turn it slowly clockwise while at the same time start peeling the belt out of the secondary....after about a 1/4 turn, it will pop out. Wear gloves cuz your hands may get pinched. Its really not that tough after you do it a few times and develop a technique. Take note of the writing on the belt and be sure to re-install it the same way/direction

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the belt is a bit tight put the brake on, open the secondary then pull upwards on the belt forcing the belt into the bottom of the secondary. You can now let go of everything as the spring tension will hold the belt in place and keep the clutch open. Release the brake and roll the sled backwards with the secondary as you work the belt off the top side of the clutch.

What frock said... I've owned a few cats and always used this technique with no issues

Top Bottom