REALLY getting upset with shipping. i need some explanation

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i really dont understand completely how the shipping industry works.

i do alot of aftermarket work on you name it. which means stuff showing up regularily. usually i get nailed 20-50$ here or there and i never think anything of it.

this time i orderd a set of wheels and tires...my own fault for not asking the correct questions i suppose. they were about 300-500$ cheaper online than i could find in town WITH shipping.

now i get an email from fedex with a 300$ bill. and a bunch of paperwork i have to fill out before they release it over the border.

they always ask me " do you have a broker"????

is this something to look into for the average person not running a business but does alot of shipping?

so here i am..3 weeks after i ordered my wheels and tires....STILL dont have them and they are going to cost the same and be more of a headache.

im finding that ordering online is not any cheaper than ordering in town. just convenient.

basically what i want to know is where does this brokerage and duty go?
why is it not added to the shipping cost ORIGIONALLY?

how can this be avoided or reduced?

i could have driven to the states...stayed in a 5 star hotel. and picked up my rims for what it is going to cost to get them

CHARGES: CDN $
DUTY 109.87
GST 88.69
PST
HST
BROKERAGE * 77.25
BUSINESS NUMBER FEE *
PERMIT *
PERMIT FEE *
MANDATORY H.S. RELEASE FEE * 4.25
DISBERSEMENT FEE * 5.85
GST ON FEES 4.36
*SUBJECT TO GST
GRAND TOTAL (CDN $): $ 290.27

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the wheels made in the US. If so then should not be duty. I ordered rims and tires for my travel trailer. FedEx Ground and brokerage was about $35.00 and no duty as the wheels were made in USA.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i really dont understand completely how the shipping industry works.

i do alot of aftermarket work on you name it. which means stuff showing up regularily. usually i get nailed 20-50$ here or there and i never think anything of it.

this time i orderd a set of wheels and tires...my own fault for not asking the correct questions i suppose. they were about 300-500$ cheaper online than i could find in town WITH shipping.

now i get an email from fedex with a 300$ bill. and a bunch of paperwork i have to fill out before they release it over the border.

they always ask me " do you have a broker"????

is this something to look into for the average person not running a business but does alot of shipping?

so here i am..3 weeks after i ordered my wheels and tires....STILL dont have them and they are going to cost the same and be more of a headache.

im finding that ordering online is not any cheaper than ordering in town. just convenient.

basically what i want to know is where does this brokerage and duty go?
why is it not added to the shipping cost ORIGIONALLY?

how can this be avoided or reduced?

i could have driven to the states...stayed in a 5 star hotel. and picked up my rims for what it is going to cost to get them

CHARGES: CDN $
DUTY 109.87
GST 88.69
PST
HST
BROKERAGE * 77.25
BUSINESS NUMBER FEE *
PERMIT *
PERMIT FEE *
MANDATORY H.S. RELEASE FEE * 4.25
DISBERSEMENT FEE * 5.85
GST ON FEES 4.36
*SUBJECT TO GST
GRAND TOTAL (CDN $): $ 290.27
maxwell I know* a guy in edmonton who does that sort of thing for a living, might be a good guy to know if your doing that sort of thing, nobody likes surprises.......I'll ask him if he would want his info passed on....might save a guy a few bucks and a few less headaches. Cheers!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We ship tons of stuff all packages originating in Canada goes through Canada Post...no brokerage fees across the border. With packages that originate in the US I insist my suppliers send it USPS.....their rate is it, no hidden brokerage fees and all that garbage. One time I shipped throug UPS because I was in a hurry and they charged me $100.00 for shipping then called me up and said they needed another $55.00 to broker it across the border...oh man was I ticked but lesson learned.

With products made in the US you should not be paying duty however if you are charged you can get this money back from the gov't you have to fill out some forms for this. However, and this is where it gets tricky if the product is imported to the US from say China and then is shipped out of the US to Canada you will pay duty and GST if your shipper does not mark the country of origin as the US.

Another thing we do is have parts shipped to a US shipment warehouse in Sweet Grass MT and just slip across the border and pick it up and broker it ourselves across the border.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on the frustration, Maxwell. Frickin' UPS can go blow goats. Every time I have recieved something shipped UPS, they have dinged me brokerage charges that usually run around 40 to 50% of the value of the product being shipped. I now will only order stuff that can be sent USPS. I did get my rails sent Fedex....no issues and only a small additional charge at this end.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got nailed $80 brokerage on a $375 plasma cutter(fun toy).UPS sucks.Sometimes seller will not go USPS.90% of the junk I ebay from China has no duty or brokerage fees with USPS.Still worth it to shop if you factor in all costs and stock levels.Too big of a price diff.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got nailed $80 brokerage on a $375 plasma cutter(fun toy).UPS sucks.Sometimes seller will not go USPS.90% of the junk I ebay from China has no duty or brokerage fees with USPS.Still worth it to shop if you factor in all costs and stock levels.Too big of a price diff.

yah but your plasma is still half the price of one up here. lol
got a qoute today to ship a dif carrier to a custiomer in zama. in a rush as truck needs to go back to work. for the part top come out of lousville to zama shipper wanted 8 000.00 wtf
i said i will drive down pick it up and deliver it for that price. finally got them to just ship to edmonton and i will find someone there to carry it the rest of the way. 400.00 and it will be here monday morning.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
I too have learned my lesson. If they won't ship my stuff via USPS (or free shipping for purchases over a certain $ amount), I just find another place to buy the item. You can always find them elsewhere. Or you can communicate with the seller and explain the reasons behind your preference. Costly lesson I've learned the hard way - the shipping companies are the only ones making a huge profit on your purchases.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it just boggles my mind that a "shipping quote" goes up 60% once it hits the border.

in my industry if a quote goes over there is some serious chit hitting the fan.

if fedex gives me a quote. KNOWING the package is going from usa to canada...they should know the shipping cost + border fees and include that. then the customer can make there decision.

im just lost. i remember learning in school about FREE TRADE. LOL

Stillrockingabanshee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
damn man that really does suck. I have bought a couple of things online, but nothing new. I have always bought used atv parts online. Anyways, today i was looking for some rear red full bore fenders, and i found a set for 150 bucks that were in new condition, and i look at shipping and it says 300 fricking dollars!!! are they shipping with Nasa or something? cause i dont get it. Some companies are looking to make money with the shipping as well. I have learned my lesson to never use Fed Ex or UPS, or DHL, just use Canada post mail, or USPS. Its the cheapest. I would rather wait 2 weeks for my part to come in than pay 200 dollars more to have it come in 5 days :rant:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree abolut the usps shipping. i use it when i can. however they are not willing to ship 4 37" tires or a complete snowmobile frame. not to mention its kind of hard to carry that through the shopping mall where my post office is located

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fedex is in court over bogus brokerage fees for over a year now. They stand to loose tens of millions in refunded fees if they lose.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
I actually asked UPS that time what happens if I don't pay the extra $55.00 for brokerage fees how will my package get across? They said it will sit in some long forgotten back corner. Buggers!! They really have you over the barrel at that point because I really needed my package it was a Christmas gift and I was already into it for the cost of the product and $100.00 shipping.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did not pay ups brokerage fees one time. mainly just forgot about it. letter went in the pile with the rest. they sent me a letter to take me to a collectiona agency. nothing came of it.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're buying parts online, especially Ebay, they will usually have a descent "buy it now" price, but stick it to you with an outrageous shipping price. Simply because Ebay soaks the merchant for a percentage of the sale price, but not the shipping. Also, if you have a choice on shipping, have the merchant send your stuff UPS air, not standard...there is no brokerage charges on air shipments with UPS.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing to do is if they drop it off and demand stupid brokerage fees, either tell them to shove it and send it back (they likely won't) or say you will not take it unless they lower fees.

I had one from UPS $80 item in a frigging ENVELOPE paid like $30 shipping figured it had to of included brokerage, nope got a $45 bill later on. Told UPS to shove it forever they sent to collection agency, they phoned me a bunch of times and letters told them to f*ck off they weren't going to get a dime. They threatened to put it on my credit, but they can't and never did.

I absolutely refuse to pay the outrageous fees. One item I told UPS strait out, send it back I can get it shipped back usps and STILL pay less then your stupid fees. Told me there would be a $50 "reevaluation fee" and i'd end up paying the same really wanted to go threw the phone and strangle the retard.....

However there is SOME places that their shipping quotes DO include it all and UPS will not try to collect a dime and those rates are pretty reasonable but most places do not. For tires discount tire is one.

If everyone would stop putting up with the BS fees and tell these companies to shove it, it would help. I will NOT send or get ANYTHING ups or fedex even if it's local. USPS for everything.

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good relationship with my UPS delivery guy. Do a bit both businees and personal with UPS. There have been a few times where he has said not to worry about the fees and walked away. That alone tells me it's a cash grab.

Recently dealt with a US company who is shipping me some stuff. I said the cross border fees are going to be crazy when she told me she ships UPS. Her reply was that she has figured out how to skirt that. She LOVES Canadian customers and it was important enough to her to figure it out. I never did ask more, but should receive the stuff soon. Will be interesting to see what's on the paper work. I may have to call back and find out what she knows. More to come on that.

All I can say is that UPS and FedEx are giving over ALOT of business to USPS and Canada Post. I'm good with that.

I too have unpaid UPS invoices. Refuse to pay and they have gone to collection. UPS still does business with me. Once at collection UPS only makes what about 10% of the original invoice, or less. Not to important to them obviously. Collections can call all they want. They bank on those wishing them to go away. It's battle of wills at this point. I find it fun....bet they don't. I'm sure they will want to strike a deal for a portion of he original invoice at some point. Will be interesting to hear what they propose. Once the fees are more reasonable, I will be willing to talk.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a bill that goes to collections, UPS FEDEX or any other could care less if you pay or not. They have their $. Your bill is sold to a collector they pay a % on the dollar. Cant it hurt you? You bet.. pull a credit report and see if it is there. I agree that brokerage fees are crazy. If you want to talk to a broker i would call Cole freight.

Top Bottom