Re-torque of rims....

WCTHEMI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always re-torque myself, going back to the tire shop can be a hassle, waiting in lone for something I can do myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
being a heavy haul trucker I am borderline obsessive about proper torque on wheel nuts. Dave B is 100% correct, you risk weakening or stretching your studs by rattling them tight with an impact wrench. If I had a dollar everytime I made a tire repair "technician" back off every single lug nut because the torque wrench clicked without the nuts moving, I wouldn't be working....but relaxing in some cabin where the snow never melts. I love it when they say "our impact is set to the proper torque..." :rolleyes: get fawked, back them off and do it again....

I've done the same thing T.Try to splain to the kid that overtorquing is just as bad as not tightening at all.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple years ago I bought some nice tires/wheels for my wife's Mustang for her b-day. I told her she needed to go back to Kal Tire in a week for re-torquing. Well she forgot and so did I and that could have caused a life as my brother in law borrowed the car when suddenly the car started to shake and pull into the on coming lane. Out of 5 lug nut 3 were gone on drivers front and balance two were ready to fall off. The other tires were also missing lug nuts. Could have been a disaster!

aaron_m

Reaction score
running a 06 3500 srw.
Showed up at a lease one time, the greasy roughneck noticed that i was running on 2 fricken wheel studs. Had sheared off the other six. WTF is up with that?
then about 2 mo ago, cooking down the hwy, little wobble, best check things out. SHEARED OFF 7 OUT OF 8 STUDS!!. scared the crap out of me. Shops said either caused by over tourqing, o under, or just wheel studs getting weak.
i recheck now every few days.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm a auto tech and run a shop..... 98 % of people don't come back for a re torque....... mabe have 1 problem every 2 years [ 99.9 % not a problem ] ... we hand torque every one [ no torque sticks cause if the inpack gun don't have the jam then if will stop and give ya a improper value ] ....

also alumi after market rims are the worst for having issues [ well dulleys too ].... i have had to check my alum aftermarket rims on my truck 3 times before they quit moving...

next time use the brakes, stops quicker.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
absolutely....and always back them off to zero after you are done with them. and a 3/8 torque wrench is handy, especially when required torque values are given in inch/lbs....smaller bolts are very easy to overtighten and strip in motorcycle and snowmobile applications.

i may be wrong but 3/8 torque wrenchs are in ft lbs, 1/4 inch are in lbs. at least the ones i own.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where I work I have seen it at least 4 times always on duals. Every Time has been due to not re-torquing. I lost the duals on one side of a one ton I was driving years ago on hwy 63. That was a scary wait for a tow truck. People on that hwy don't slow down for anything and only inches away from the truck.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most important thing is prep before you reinstall rim make sure it is clean free of mud and rust i usually buff the contact area never lost a set of duals yet but i also retorque once a month thats just what i do.

Top Bottom