Race gas and turbos

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So basically I have been combing the website for info on what guys are running for octane with boost. I am looking into the twisted race/pump gas kit and need to know where the fine line is between PG, Mixing 50/50, and running straight race. I have herd alot of guys talking about av gas and I am wondering where you pick that up at? Any help would be awesome!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard to stay away from av gas, something about gumming everything up. Do a search you might find it here.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did that all weekend and still found a ton of guys running turbos that are useing av gas. I should specify that this is on a 2009 m1000 in case it makes a differace.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually 8-10lbs you need to start mixing after that. Most PG kits are 8-10 lbs, once you get above 10 or so then you usually have to start adding a little race gas, by the time you get to 16-18 lbs usually its about full race gas.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AV Gas is short for Aviation Fuel. It can be bought at your local airport and is usually listed as 100LL. The LL stands for Low Lead. Some will say to not use it but I have many friends that have used it for many many years with no ill effects.

I'm not sure if it would apply to your application but I'm running 10psi of boost (stock compression) on an Apex and I mix to get 96 octane rating. The elevation we ride is from 5500' to 10,000". I use TORCO Fuel Accelerator with nothing but great results. Good Luck! :beer:

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My two bits...If it is a pg setup, I mix 20 - 25% 112 VP and the rest Premium @ low boost. Seems like cheap insurance just incase your boost gauge or controller is not working. I tore down my engine this summer due to bending valves (4 stroke 4500 - 7000 g's repair not cheap)and the sled that I had purchased looked like he was running cheap fuel, top of pistons covered in gum. Run a little extra, it'll save in the long run.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So basically I have been combing the website for info on what guys are running for octane with boost. I am looking into the twisted race/pump gas kit and need to know where the fine line is between PG, Mixing 50/50, and running straight race. I have herd alot of guys talking about av gas and I am wondering where you pick that up at? Any help would be awesome!

it really depends on 2 things, boost and elevation. if you try running 10 pounds on pump gas in revy or valemont you will blow your motor. most guys running pump gas are around 7 lbs at the most. I run an av gas / race gas mix in my M8 turbo with some head work done and I can safely run 13 lbs. above 4500 ft. With stock compression you are pushing it running 13-14 lbs above 4500 ft on straight VP111. This weekend at the CNP drags I was running 11lbs of boost on straight VP111 at around 3500-3700 ft with no signs of deto.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so I usually ride Golden and vale and I was planning on running 8-10 psi depending how hard it is to hang on to, so I should prolly just run straight 111? And is the VP the best choice or sunoco ect.....

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so I usually ride Golden and vale and I was planning on running 8-10 psi depending how hard it is to hang on to, so I should prolly just run straight 111? And is the VP the best choice or sunoco ect.....

8 to 10 lbs would probably be ok on straight av gas at those elevations. if you are looking at kits look at the OVS kit as well. they are running very well with the new tial housing and extrenal wastegate

Top Bottom