Question about Ski-Doos and new engines

Finkster

Reaction score
I am a newer snowmobiler and I am just upgrading from my 2003 and I would like to get on the rev platform which I understand in 2008 and newer. Soooo I have been researching ski-doos for hours and hours trying to decide on what year to buy, mods, etc etc.

What Id like to know is do all SKi Doos 08 - 10 need a new motor around the 2000 mile mark? If that is so, would I be better off to buy a 08 (ish) with low miles (1700) with the original motor or an 08 (ish) with higher miles (2700) but with a rebuilt motor? Both seem to be readily available for around $5500 to $6500.

Or should I just spend the extra money and get an ETEC which I think started in 2011, and presumably doesn't need a rebuild at 2000 miles. Or should I spend even more money and just get a brand new sled. I am stuck on getting a Ski Doo 800 for sure, dont really want to spend over $10,000 though, and I would prefer $5000. But if I get a sled that needs a new motor that can be well over $2500 I am told so where is the best value??

Any advice would be appreciated.

T

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It varies.....some need work at that mileage, alot go longer. I would say 3000 miles is closer to the average. I would lean towards one with a new motor. I just had my motor replaced in my 2010 (which is for sale by the way :) ), and was told by Dave Trygstad (who did the rebuild) that the 2013 and newer cranks are MUCH better.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
My wifes 08 xp went to 3600 miles and clipped an exhaust ring so we rebuilt it then. We maybe put on 200 miles on new engine and I just sold it for 4500. It was to a buddy and I believ I gave him a good deal. Most seem to be in the 5-5800 range. Buy an etec though if you can find one. You will enjoy that engine.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a brand new summit sport 600 for 8800 dollars it comes with the fancy new tmotion suspension. It feels nice to lay a licking on an 800 with a 600.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The '10's were bullet proof and 5000 kms was not a problem. I think a lot depended on how they were broke in and how much/how long they had WOT. IMHO, from the 2010 models up, they just got better.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is the 2014 Summit Sport 800R 154. 3 years warranty, t-motion, flextrack, s-36 front end, 800PTek with 151 hp, Brembo brakes, new seat with storage. All this for the 10G price point. Going for one myself after selling my 08 Summit 800R 154.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is the 2014 Summit Sport 800R 154. 3 years warranty, t-motion, flextrack, s-36 front end, 800PTek with 151 hp, Brembo brakes, new seat with storage. All this for the 10G price point. Going for one myself after selling my 08 Summit 800R 154.
x2 if you have the coin.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have definitely give the used market a kick in the balls for sure. But it does add up compared to a good used one. So by the time you factor in the sled, frieght, PDI, and tax youre probably around 11000 or more out the door. Then start to throw stuff on like can, quick clickers, etc. Pretty soon your at 11500-12000.

Why when you could buy my mint 2010 with a new engine for 6500? :)

Finkster

Reaction score
Yes but if you were getting a brand new sled would you want a PTEC? Arent they going the way of the DoDo bird?

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The unit I have a deposit on is barely breaking the 10 mark with PDI and Tax in. As far as the PTek I was plenty happy with my old one. Lots of power 151 hp and decent on fuel. Ski Doo is claiming that its still the best 800 out there for fuel mileage except for the Etec. With a motor that good I think they will have a few year left in them.
Just for comparison
PTek power to weight ratio - 454pounds/151 = 3.01 pounds per hp
Etec power to weight ratio - 464pounds/163.9 = 2.83 pounds per hp.
I would love to have the Etec but in keeping in this price point I think its still a great deal.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The unit I have a deposit on is barely breaking the 10 mark with PDI and Tax in. As far as the PTek I was plenty happy with my old one. Lots of power 151 hp and decent on fuel. Ski Doo is claiming that its still the best 800 out there for fuel mileage except for the Etec. With a motor that good I think they will have a few year left in them.
Just for comparison
PTek power to weight ratio - 454pounds/151 = 3.01 pounds per hp
Etec power to weight ratio - 464pounds/163.9 = 2.83 pounds per hp.
I would love to have the Etec but in keeping in this price point I think its still a great deal.

That weight is before rider/gear/snow/fuel etc. Don't be fooled by the numbers.

To the OP - There is some speculation on the design of the water cooled crankcase and the fact that there was varying expansion rates on the case, which lead to some issues with bearing clearances in the races, this caused issues with uneven bearing wear and ultimately crank run out (allegedly) and failure. Some swear it was the change from mineral to synthetic oil. The 08 came with a t-stat, where the 07 didn't, so there might be something to it. The Doo cranks use a grease in the bearing that will get washed out over time, its variable as to what happens in each motor, seen some that look like new, seen others where it was totally gone. I had a buddy with a crank that blew at 1600, but there are lots of guys that go longer than that and no issues. This issue seems to be variable and so biggest thing is to check the crank run out and see what the spec is, this is a mandatory thing on the Doo 800 befor buying any used sled. Re-grease the PTO crank side and give'r.

Reaction score
Go new if you can, but remember you also need snow and transportation equipment.

The 08 (low miles) will need the pistons replaced soon, Moosegoosemachine.com are good to deal with in your area, they will give you better pistons than what the sled came with.
Better to replace pistons and check your tolerances than a wait it out for a bigger rebuild.

If you can find out where the rebuild was done, or what was done to it you are better off.
Again Mongoose tracks what was done to your engine and keep a file on our specs, pretty handy.

Either way rip it up this winter.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go new if you can, but remember you also need snow and transportation equipment.

The 08 (low miles) will need the pistons replaced soon, Moosegoosemachine.com are good to deal with in your area, they will give you better pistons than what the sled came with.
Better to replace pistons and check your tolerances than a wait it out for a bigger rebuild.

If you can find out where the rebuild was done, or what was done to it you are better off.
Again Mongoose tracks what was done to your engine and keep a file on our specs, pretty handy.

Either way rip it up this winter.
FYI OEM piston are the best ....:eek:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you think they need 2 rings?

Just curious as to why you think this..

Yes to one point.

OEM need 2 rings. Then yes best piston

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what little u lose in drag , u gain in heat transfer , no heat soaking and way more consistent power-compresion

Biggest thing is heat soak where u run once and then have less power 2nd pull.

sent while I should be drinking twisted teas

Reaction score
OEM Piston, photo.jpg

high locator pin + bevelled ring = slipage photo-1.jpg

SP replacement piston, centered locator pin with better rings. photo-3.jpg

I guess only time will tell.

Top Bottom