quad riding in B C what are the rules

abiceman

Reaction score
Am planning a trip to B C in late aug. just wondering what the rules are there (ie) canyou ride the ditches, graval roads, crossing highways. thing like that.

thanks Tom

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Am planning a trip to B C in late aug. just wondering what the rules are there (ie) canyou ride the ditches, graval roads, crossing highways. thing like that.

thanks Tom

No ditches. No highway crossing. The rest can be found here:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The main thing is to have 200,000 public liability insurance if your on a forest service road.Also no mud bogging in posted areas.

Syclone74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can cross the single lane hiways but only straight across if going from a trail to another one. Even cross a bridge to get over a river. Don't know about divided hi-ways. I have been stopped by the boys in blue and that's what they have told me. Cause I've been caught crossing the road and a bridge. And of coarse your only allowed if safe to do so. Maybe I got lucky and had decent cops that stopped me or its cause I stopped. Just my personal experience. Btw it was northern bc where I was stopped. Might be different in the south

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are not allowed, they scare all the furry forest animals :rolleyes:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can cross the single lane hiways but only straight across if going from a trail to another one. Even cross a bridge to get over a river. Don't know about divided hi-ways. I have been stopped by the boys in blue and that's what they have told me. Cause I've been caught crossing the road and a bridge. And of coarse your only allowed if safe to do so. Maybe I got lucky and had decent cops that stopped me or its cause I stopped. Just my personal experience. Btw it was northern bc where I was stopped. Might be different in the south

You got lucky. Totally against the law without a special permit.....with a very few exceptions for registered trail systems that cross the highway.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come to northern BC , ride where ever. Very few rules that are inforced, other than the side by sides pack the beer in and cans out, if the unit has been painted pink the guy has to run it. If it has a stereo that means your a little pink, helmets are optional and if you have dogs ride in the back of the pack.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATC and Dirt Bikes require helmets. Quads and side by sides to not. No Aholes trying to enforce crap so far.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The main thing is to have 200,000 public liability insurance if your on a forest service road.Also no mud bogging in posted areas.

A little more in-depth to the above:

If you are registered properly in your home province with plates and insurance (minimum of $250,000 is what I was thinking) the FSR's are good to go as long as the area is open. In the southeast, we have some closed areas.

No mud bogging period! If you are caught, it is at the discretion of the officer as to what he/she thinks of the environmental destruction that you caused. This has big fines (maximum of $100,000) and possible confiscation of machine.

Some areas have seasonal closures and are only open for 2 months. Most "bladed roads" are open but that is a general statement. Maps are available with closures on them.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another reason I like my new ride for this year. Plated 530 exc. I don't need to worry as much.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATC and Dirt Bikes require helmets. Quads and side by sides to not. No Aholes trying to enforce crap so far.

I agree, I have encountered cops on my way to the river up foothills and never been stopped. Hope it stays that way to, I'd hate to live where mud bogging is illegal:confused:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can quad on all those thousands of soup holes we have for roads in pg and area, you probably know them all. The cops are great now in PG, they are focusing on making our town not #1 for murders and crime in Canada for 3 years running. ... and it is working.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can quad on all those thousands of soup holes we have for roads in pg and area, you probably know them all. The cops are great now in PG, they are focusing on making our town not #1 for murders and crime in Canada for 3 years running. ... and it is working.

Yup, muddy roads are fair game. Hard to call that environmental damage.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My god your coming to BC...short for Bring Cash! Everything is illegal over here. "Unless you get a permitt $$$) As a logging contractor and knowing something about the road user agreement I find it funny that "they" tell us that we need $200k -/+ liability insurance but yet I'm sure if it came down to a claim or a personal injury claim in court they would ask did you have permission to ride on that bcts or fsr road...mmmm I'm sure the ministry of forest or a licence would say NO!
That being said it like driving while impaired, no insurance. But they have your money.
Simply come and enjoy, have respect for the environment and take your chances like the rest of us. Things are not like they use to be and I can see restrictions coming our way, please support your local clubs and let's try to maintain our right to ride.
happy riding

Top Bottom