Q for the truckers.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having to now deal with the hours of service rules since our trucks are over 4500, is there an electronic log book that works? The paper versions are a PIA.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you want to go electronic or not, that's a whole new can of worms. There's no "massaging" an electronic log, it's black or white. you're either legal or not, if you get pulled over by a DOT and you're 10 minutes over, then welcome to ticketsville. Paper versions are a pia for sure, but much more forgiving.

Sent from my iPad

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having to now deal with the hours of service rules since our trucks are over 4500, is there an electronic log book that works? The paper versions are a PIA.
Learn how to love the paper versions. They may seem like a pain in the ass to begin with but once you have got your proper habits formed it just another part of your day. I have a proper clipboad with my log book attached and it is now a simple habit to reach for it as soon as I have put my seat belt on and fill it out. When I get into my personal vehicle I still reach for the logbook and sometimes cant figure out why it isnt there.

its part of the job, quit fighting it and form the proper habits. We all had trouble with it to begin with but the only solution is to be dedicated at first and soon its just another part of your day.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cummins610

Reaction score
You should not have to run hours of service unless you are registered over 11,795kgs. Between 4500 and 11,794kgs it's pre trip inspection only.

The electronic logs are usually ties into the trucks computer and gps controlled. Paper is the way to go, sometimes I even carry more then one paper copy lol

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should not have to run hours of service unless you are registered over 11,795kgs. Between 4500 and 11,794kgs it's pre trip inspection only.

The electronic logs are usually ties into the trucks computer and gps controlled. Paper is the way to go, sometimes I even carry more then one paper copy lol

Depends on the company

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's true, you will definitely want to contact the main offices ( AB is Red Deer, BC is Victoria and SK is Regina ) of all provinces that you will be travelling in to be sure that the method that you choose is a recognized and approved form of logging. I would question whether an app that lets you edit, would be kosher in their eyes though.
We've been approached by companies at work about electronic logs. If you haven't received an answer before Wednesday on here, then I will ask our transportation compliance guy for some accredited company names for you when I get back to work.

Sent from my iPad

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We travel outside of Ab. so we have to follow federal HOS, anything over 4500 KG

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes anything interprovincial requires logs to be filled out over 4500kg.

We we have a couple people filling out electronic logs and from a management point of view it is a pia. Most do the paper version. Easier to "adjust" the paper version but the other is neater. Not sure what it is like to fill out on a smart phone. Can't see it being real easy.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are a pain in the ass to keep and fill out just do what 90% of truckers do. Throw the b!tch away and go! It cost more to lie on one then it does to not have one! Trucking is the only industry I can think of where you get punished for working 15 mins extra to serve the american citizens. Sad sad deal for sure. But on a serious note, I've never seen anybody that had a ton of extra money running legal. Sure they had enough to pay the bills and all but nothing extra. Maybe its just me, but anybody with a work ethic can't stand quitting according to the "law"

Trucking isn't as fun as it use to be. Sad deal, but in order to get ahead you have to "run hard"

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are a pain in the ass to keep and fill out just do what 90% of truckers do. Throw the b!tch away and go! It cost more to lie on one then it does to not have one! Trucking is the only industry I can think of where you get punished for working 15 mins extra to serve the american citizens. Sad sad deal for sure. But on a serious note, I've never seen anybody that had a ton of extra money running legal. Sure they had enough to pay the bills and all but nothing extra. Maybe its just me, but anybody with a work ethic can't stand quitting according to the "law"

Trucking isn't as fun as it use to be. Sad deal, but in order to get ahead you have to "run hard"
spoken from a very uneducated and naive point of view.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spoken from a very uneducated and naive point of view.
OK, maybe instead if 90% of drivers I'll go with the majority.

Otherwise, what part is uneducated and naive?

With the new hours of service laws they are forcing us to drive tired. Because they don't allow you to "bank time" that you are in the bunk. So if I'm driving and need an hour nap cause I'm tired, it just boils down to an hour less drive time. So what does the normal person do? Keeps going doing everything in his power to stay awake........is that the safe answer?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, maybe instead if 90% of drivers I'll go with the majority.

Otherwise, what part is uneducated and naive?

With the new hours of service laws they are forcing us to drive tired. Because they don't allow you to "bank time" that you are in the bunk. So if I'm driving and need an hour nap cause I'm tired, it just boils down to an hour less drive time. So what does the normal person do? Keeps going doing everything in his power to stay awake........is that the safe answer?
Lets see, I dont know what level of trucker you have down there, but here, 100% use a log book. You get caught without one, its an automatic 72 hour suspension and a 570 dollar fine for first offense. Second, you could never "bank" time. If you run cycle one or cycle two you can break your off duty time into two periods, the less of which must be a minimum of 2 hours. If your running a different cycle you should specify but no matter what cycle your on you can always switch to cycle one and continue on that.

To say that 90% of drivers " Throw the b!tch away and go" is uneducated and naive. There isnt a profesional driver that would run without a log book, if you do, your not professional and not welcome on the roads I drive. We take our trucking serious around here and make a damn fine living doing it. If thats the way you run its time to look for other work.

Last edited:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets see, I dont know what level of trucker you have down there, but here, 100% use a log book

I think that is probably naive to say 100% of Canadian truckers use a log book. Having just shut down my oilfield trucking business - there is hardly a Class 1 or 3 vacuum truck driver that knows how to use a log book properly and uses one all the time. I think (hope) it is quite different for professional highway drivers but the oilfield guys represent a significant percentage of truckers. A lot of log books not being used properly, huge over hours and in some cases not being used at all.

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, if your federally mandated, log books and dally inspection.. And you have to follow federal hours of service.
Been there done that.. The only saving grece is when your driver is waiting for something and or on a smoke break, lunch you can put as off duty, and your time cards don't have to match your log book, that came right from the DOT them self.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously Canadian rules are different then here in America. But honestly to the original poster, I don't think electronic logs are the way to go. Like many have stated on here, it is what it is then......no fudging what so ever........not even 15 mins!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In this region, interior of BC, the CVSE has a firm hand on log book usage. The scales are all updated with the latest technology, cameras, in road sensors, they know your height, weight, length and time your passing the scales before you arrive at them, day or night, open or closed. You can go in the shack and ask one of the guys to run your plates and you will fall off your chair when you see what comes up. Pictures date stamped, timed and from all the scales in the region. Spot checks on log books are very regular, you can expect them to take a look at your book at least once a month. We have now shifted to night shift and there is a noticeable amount of extra CVSE vehicles floating around in outlying communities where the industrial traffic is heading. It is very common to see an officer sitting at the end of a resource road at 1am doing book checks.

If your an out of town trucker and you pass through the scales there is a good chance you will get the red light and they will be having a look. They dont take no crap. But at the same time it is good, everybody has to play by the rules. As a resource road user we are allowed up to 13 hours a day driving and up to 15 hours total on duty. That is allot. Anymore than that and your are a danger to everybody around you. But because CVSE has such a presence we as truckers can tell our contracts no. We cant go over our hours, we cant push things, the chance of getting caught is to high. Once you get nailed every time you go by the scales you have extra eyes on you. Screw up once and it takes along time to get your reputation back with the CVSE officers. They can make your life hell, and will do it if they feel your an abuser.

If they want to audit your books you better be damn close, here they request fuel receipts which are date stamped, mill scale slips which are date stamped, then add in scale cameras which run 24 hours a day with vehicle recognition software and if your BS'ing, your going to get nailed.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is probably naive to say 100% of Canadian truckers use a log book. Having just shut down my oilfield trucking business - there is hardly a Class 1 or 3 vacuum truck driver that knows how to use a log book properly and uses one all the time. I think (hope) it is quite different for professional highway drivers but the oilfield guys represent a significant percentage of truckers. A lot of log books not being used properly, huge over hours and in some cases not being used at all.
I have no idea what drivers in Nova Scotia or Quebec do but "up here" as in the region I work, you wont find one truck not running a book. My phrase "up here" may imply all of Canada to you, but to me it implies my local region.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using an app for my phone called "KeepTrucking", I like it so far. Still have the paper copy on the dash though, just the "electronic" version is much cleaner, I can sign them and either print or e-mail.

Top Bottom