Purchasing ATV in BC few questions

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in BC and am going to be purchasing a ATV very soon and I have a few questions.

How or where do I go to make sure there is no lean on the ATV?

How do I make sure it's not stolen?

Do I have to pay PST since there is no registration yet?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can take the vin to the RCMP and have them check to see if it's stolen. Or just use the same website they use Unlike Alberta, there are private outfits in BC that will do a lien search for you...phone ICBC, they will give you a few phone numbers. Find out where the quad came from...if it was out of province, you'll have to do a seperate lien search for that province. Don't quote me, but I think you have to pay PST, if not at the time of purchase, they'll get you when you register it.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tx for the great info.

But since there is no registration if ATVs on BC how would you pay the PST?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tx for the great info.

But since there is no registration if ATVs on BC how would you pay the PST?

If you are desperate to give the gov't more money I am sure you can go to your local gov't agent and they will take your money for taxes,
If you purchase at a dealer the tax will be collected on the spot, If purchasing privately wait for legislation or at least until the HST is gone.
Right now tax on a private sale will be 12% after HST goes it will return to 7%; no GST. Your decision.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are desperate to give the gov't more money I am sure you can go to your local gov't agent and they will take your money for taxes,
If you purchase at a dealer the tax will be collected on the spot, If purchasing privately wait for legislation or at least until the HST is gone.
Right now tax on a private sale will be 12% after HST goes it will return to 7%; no GST. Your decision.

Yes thank you, I know what the tax rates are.
I'm more shocked that BC doesn't have ATV registration and that Ivan save a lot of money then by buying used and not having to pay tax.

I'm not sure how the govt can go back and ask for the tax, but by saying that, they make the rules.

I hope there is grandfathering!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you want to put insurance on it, you will have to register it. Therefore, you will have to pay the tax.

Enforcement for quads is much stricter than for snowmobiles. Co's and police enforce riding on FSR (forest service roads) and liability insurance is mandatory.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to put insurance on it, you will have to register it. Therefore, you will have to pay the tax.

Enforcement for quads is much stricter than for snowmobiles. Co's and police enforce riding on FSR (forest service roads) and liability insurance is mandatory.

I bought all my machines in AB to save the tax dollars (I give more than enough money to the BC govt as it is) and you can get insurance in BC for OHVs without registration so long as you get it from a third party company (not icbc). I would like to see registration in BC but if there is no grandfathering for PST then forget it...I'll be getting an AB address and registering there or running illegal. The amount of money I saved not paying that stupid tax will cover a lot of fines anyway.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No you don't need to register to have (third party liability) insurance. I've insured both my quads for the last 3 years and BC hasn't had mandatory registration until this year and this I'm copying from another forum. I've yet to actually hear about this in the media. Take a look at sec 2 - operation prohibited without registering

Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act

Top Bottom