Pull start not engaging?

Chuckt5

Reaction score
I took my '06 REV 800 out for a couple of rides last week and early on, the pull start would not engage. It would just pull out all the way without pulling over the motor. After a couple of tries it started working again and I thought all was well.

A couple of days later it did it again and then seemed to resolve itself after a little while. Yesterday I used the pull start a few times and it worked as normal but then when I went to start my sled after refueling, it was done! It doesn't engage at all anymore.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so, what part(s) do I need to replaces to fix this? I would rather fix the pullstart than buy a whole new unit if that's possible.

Thanks in advance, C.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll wager a guess, The Dogs inside your recoil need replacement. Was the rope going back in okay? or did you have to wiggle the jerk the rope to retract?

The Dogs (or fly weight) would be a little piece of plastic that flys out under centrifugal force, engaging the fly wheel, thus starting your engine,

Either the dogs aren't flying out or they are broken.

Last edited:

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Check to make sure it is not cracked. Usually in the center.
If not pull it off and change the pawl assembly... cheap and easy to fix.
Forgot to mention. make sure all the bolts are in and tight holding the assembly in first.

Chuckt5

Reaction score
The cord would go back in just as it normaly would, very easy. Does that point to anything specific being need of replacement?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, it just means the spring works.

Check for loose bolts as Kimrick mentioned, if the cover is lose that dog will miss its grab point. could save yourself some time.
If bolts are tight, remove the re-coil assembly. you'll notice that there is a plastic disc in the center and a little plastic dog, the dog should move easy, and should not over travel.

I would guess that to be your issue. my push mower was doing that this summer.

Chuckt5

Reaction score
So, check that the entire pull start is on tight and if that isn't the problem, then replace parts 7-12.

Is that right guys?

Chuckt5

Reaction score
Yah, but then I would have more problems to worry about than just a faulty pull start! ;)

Reactions: RXN

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check your starter cup while your in there (part that the dogs catch on). The corners wear out over time also and make it tough for the starter to grab on to.

Only about a $20.00 part. - think the correct part is #420852532, but make sure you double check.

Chuckt5

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the right part number for the starter cup (the number above doesn't match up to the parts diagram).

Do you have any more info on this or a link?

robb

Reaction score
On the parts diagram the pawl lock(#8) has a small plastic extrusion that tends to snap off. Thats the first place i would check based on your description Mine broke off during the second year

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Just make sure you find the metal clip that holds it all together... it will go behind the fly wheel and stick to the magneto which is a magnet run it with that stuck to it will pile up the mag then the engine has to come out to replace it

Chuckt5

Reaction score
The sled is up at our cabin so I'll need to take some tools with me to do the job.

Does anyone know what size the bolts are that mount the pull start? Do I need to take a ratchet extension to get at those same bolts? Anything else I'll need to do this?

Thanks, C.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
set of metric allan wrenches should be all you need, maybe a spring puller to take the can off.

Top Bottom