Protection & mods for my Prowler

JRocks

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife got a Prowler and am wondering what type of protection it requires, I see full skid kits and wonder if this is necessary.

Also hearing about people burning belts, as I have newer had a sled I don't know jack about belts. I have read about people needing to be towed back and I won't be doing that on my WR.

goonski

Reaction score
I am still running the factory skid plate on my prowler, banged it over rocks and stumps, haven't broken it yet, for plastic, it's pretty tough! I smoked 1 belt on mine and that was only because I had a seal leaking oil into the clutches, dealer told me it's not uncommon to see belts go for 3000 to 4000 miles, depending upon how its drove. I smoked my belt at 1800 miles and I'm sure it would have went that much more if it didn't get soaked in oil! :beer:

Goon

JRocks

Reaction score
Thanks Goon,

Looks like you put her through the paces. It is mainly my wifes ride but I am interested to see how capable it is.

JRocks

goonski

Reaction score
We don't mess around, the prowler you see in the background is my buddy known on mud and snow as "hammerbike". Together we have come up with some cool mods to make these machines "bitchen". One that I suggest is to put on a set of snorkels or at least one for the airbox, you'll be amazed how much cleaner your air filter will be. I used to wash the filter every ride or at least every second ride, now I'm down to a couple times a year! Glad to help, if you want to know about the mods we have done, send me a line!

Goon:beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing to remember is to use low gear in the muck. The side by sides are heavy, and they put a lot of stress on the belt. When you're bombing down the trail, high gear is great, but when you get to a long, ugly strech of skeg or mud, stop and kick it into low. If you burn your belt once, it's done.

hammerbike

Reaction score
We don't mess around, the prowler you see in the background is my buddy known on mud and snow as "hammerbike". Together we have come up with some cool mods to make these machines "bitchen". One that I suggest is to put on a set of snorkels or at least one for the airbox, you'll be amazed how much cleaner your air filter will be. I used to wash the filter every ride or at least every second ride, now I'm down to a couple times a year! Glad to help, if you want to know about the mods we have done, send me a line!

Goon:beer:
Like my buddy says, they are awesome! I bought my 2008 XTX700EFI in Aug of 2009 and it has over 2000 kms on it now with no issues at all! A top quality machine in my book!
On a recent Sunday ride.....
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc248/hammerbike/08 AC Prowler 700/100_2521.jpg?t=1268361721

Top Bottom