Problems on Indian Reserve

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think carguy has hit the nail on the head. The reservations should be abolished. It was the solution of the day, but does not work in a modern society. What it did do was remove the incentive to better yourself from the people living there. If you have the neccesities of life provided with no other requirement to get it other than that your on the reserve, how many people do you think are going to work if they don't have to? I know I sure wouldn't. They should give every resident on the reserve thier own dwelling and piece of property, this way they have an interest in the condition and upkeep of the building and property. It would also prove them with a huge opportunity and advantage. I imagine lots of people would like to live mortgage free. If you only have the utilities to pay living would would be a lot easier. Everybody says that the natives should just 'get a job'. Well the reality is that even though they are givin every opportunity to succeed with free education etc, most do not have the skills and learning required for most occupations. This is completely due to the government handouts, AS IT HAS REMOVED THE NEED AND INCENTIVE TO BETTER ONESELF! If their is no penalty for failure, then it doesn't matter how many opportunities are given out, thier will be no appreciation for them. I know if I loose my job or don't work, I have no money, thus I start loosing things that I like having. Giving them a house mortgage free is a good solution, as even an unskilled labourer can make utility payments and support themselves.

A person could argue that without the reserves the natives would loose their culture though, many see themselves as separate from Canada as the First Nations. This however isn’t necessarily true, as with a quick look around Alberta you will see Ukaranian, French, Hutterite, Chinese, etc etc, communities that have a strong cultural background, but are still able to function in a modern world.

Now I think this solution would work fine in a province like alberta and bc, even saskatchewan as there is lots of jobs available in the west, and many companies encourage the hiring of natives before any others. I don't think this would work in a place like Attawapiskat due to it's remoteness, but I believe the people there should be giving the opportunity to leave and move closer to civilization if they would like.

Another problem I see is the attitude that some natives have that they are ‘owed’ by the rest of Canada because of the fact that they are natives and that the rest of canada has done them wrong. Unfortunatly I see it becoming more and more common, and being passed from generation to generation. And it’s usually the people that are uninterested or unwilling to work for themselves that are saying it. Until this attitude changes I don’t see things getting better, but much worse. I think unless changes are made then this will continue to be an issue for decades to come. Maybe this situation at Attawapiskat will be the catalyst that will bring about reforms.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would happen if Western Canadians said enough is enough and said we want to be recognized as Western Canada and not Canada. The Treaties were signed under Canadian Confederation. If Confederation were to be broken, treaties go byby..........just sayin

I honestly believe that this is the only way to solve this problem.

And besides, who cares about Eastern Canada anyways.:)

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If we're gonna blow up confederation Alberta might as well go it solo.... besides who cares about Saskatchewan anyways.:)

What would happen if Western Canadians said enough is enough and said we want to be recognized as Western Canada and not Canada. The Treaties were signed under Canadian Confederation. If Confederation were to be broken, treaties go byby..........just sayin

I honestly believe that this is the only way to solve this problem.

And besides, who cares about Eastern Canada anyways.:)

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Your mom has not experienced raising the kids and then have them yanked away again, she will have no say....Those poor kids. It is going to be hard on her.. trust me.
true, but she has been raising this one girl for 4-5 yrs now, i dont think her parents ever learn,i've seen her go and come back a week later multiple times.

Thanx everyone for the good comments on my mother, true, she is a very special woman and im proud of her and i am damn lucky i have her in my life.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
A mother joke would be a tad inapropriate right here, wouldn't it?????

true, but she has been raising this one girl for 4-5 yrs now, i dont think her parents ever learn,i've seen her go and come back a week later multiple times.

Thanx everyone for the good comments on my mother, true, she is a very special woman and im proud of her and i am damn lucky i have her in my life.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Just lightening up the mood a little my friend.....lol

yes bogg, very inapropriate, dont diss my mom!!!!!lol I know how to bannock slap!!!lol

I got plenty of mom jokes, but this is not the thread, we be talkin about a rez' problems,

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, rite on bogg,u gotta give some comic relief for all the "abolishing the treaties" talk. Makes me sad.lol

And i thought Smeagul from Lord Of The Rings was a cool hobbit thing, title is now yours buddy. :p

No one cares about abolishing the treaties, they just want the free ride over. You'd think the native americans would be happy, everyone else wanting to make them equals, how many other minorites would JUMP at that opportunity? Guess that's what happens when you got it to good, you are to greedy......

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So you don't approve????

No one cares about abolishing the treaties, they just want the free ride over. You'd think the native americans would be happy, everyone else wanting to make them equals, how many other minorites would JUMP at that opportunity? Guess that's what happens when you got it to good, you are to greedy......

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
I believe they are in the same category, How did i get my schooling paid for? My Dental? My medical, My Tax free cigs nd fuel? Its because of the treaties, the free ride is about the treaties. u could say i took a free ride from the gov

This mite stir up sum chit.

I took advantage of my free ride or treaty rights, and made it work for me, went to sec school, passed with high marks, 3rd in class. Now i work my a$$ off, and love doin it.

and in my mind everyone is equal, im sorry but i was born into this brown body.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe they are in the same category, How did i get my schooling paid for? My Dental? My medical, My Tax free cigs nd fuel? Its because of the treaties, the free ride is about the treaties. u could say i took a free ride from the gov

I took advantage of my free ride or treaty rights, and made it work for me, went to sec school, passed with high marks, 3rd in class. Now i work my a$$ off, and love doin it.

As long as there is special treatment for different people, everyone will not be equal..........

mxzretta

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did the same thing. It would be stupid not to take advantage of our treaty rights. The dumb thing would be not to use it and sadly alot of the younger generation dont use it. And that is a waste. Love the cheap gas and smokes.

Top Bottom