Prince George Petrochemical

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been pretty quiet since it was proposed. One of the large companies has proposed one in NE BC or AB and would be competing for feedstock. Most locals are pretty excited about the potential investment but a few are concerned about the airshed.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that makes sense, petrochemical plant is good.....pipeline bad.
you ever been to PG? It has 3 large pulp mills, numerous chemical plants, and a small refinery. The citizens are pretty resource oriented and the plant would use an existing NG pipeline iirc.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PG was also a railway town. Not that this has anything to do with resources. Towns are going to have to diversify and be resourceful. With the forestry industry take a **** kicking out there and the coal mines being slashed we’re going to have to find other ways to make money.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a big announcement about this project in the spring, basically announced as going ahead. Then the local university started crying about potential air pollution and things went quiet, quiet as in disappeared. I couldnt find a date on the video posted, I wonder if it is recent as in this week, or if its from the spring announcement.

It was big news here for about 2 weeks, then rumors circulated that is was not going to happen. No news since.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was a big announcement about this project in the spring, basically announced as going ahead. Then the local university started crying about potential air pollution and things went quiet, quiet as in disappeared. I couldnt find a date on the video posted, I wonder if it is recent as in this week, or if its from the spring announcement.

It was big news here for about 2 weeks, then rumors circulated that is was not going to happen. No news since.

I thought this was posted last week but I will see what I can find.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you ever been to PG? It has 3 large pulp mills, numerous chemical plants, and a small refinery. The citizens are pretty resource oriented and the plant would use an existing NG pipeline iirc.

Don't get me wrong I hope it goes ahead.
Just the hipocricy of of we will be green as long as it does not interfere with our needs agenda.
The more real jobs the better.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just the hipocricy of of we will be green as long as it does not interfere with our needs agenda.
You're mixing up the lower mainland with the BC interior again. PG is, was, and always will be a resource town. Not a big green movement as they know who butters their bread.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they must need another pipeline. The pipe that’s in the ground going there right now delivers dry, sweet gas. Well mostly dry. Maybe there going drier. Haha.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they must need another pipeline. The pipe that’s in the ground going there right now delivers dry, sweet gas. Well mostly dry. Maybe there going drier. Haha.

The pipeline they are talking about is already in progress

http://www.coastalgaslink.com/

The province is much more open to natural gas pipelines than oil, plus this pipeline doesnt go anywhere near the lower mainland so the vast majority of them probably have no idea that it has started.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're mixing up the lower mainland with the BC interior again. PG is, was, and always will be a resource town. Not a big green movement as they know who butters their bread.

That was very true 20 years ago, but since UNBC was built there has been a very vocal but small group who hoots and hollers about anything that isnt electric or supported by the green party. A university with around 500 employee's trying to tell everyone else what is best for their everyday lives. And by best for "their" everyday lives, I dont mean "their" as in local citizens, I mean "their" as in university employee's.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

frankly you sound very "poor poor pitiful me"

Prince George is about as resource of a community as you can get in Canada. Its Fort Mac of BC. Your jaded by resistance from the lower mainland but you prefer to lash out at the province as a whole.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will always be tough to diversify a industry. Such as energy. Keeping it green or clean, whatever. The biggest problem with successful diversification is GREED.

Top Bottom