Power steering 08 F350 question

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with the power steering on the 08 F350? Mine seems to be intermitten and at times there is none at all. I had it into the dealer and asked them about any recalls and of course the first thing they say is that the tires are too big.

Funny though as I explained to them it only happens every once in while, if it was the tires it would be all the time.

Any thoughts

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not just the the blue oval the bowtie has the same issue. My 04 durmax and now my 08 lock up all the time. The worst is when your trying to back it up booster can't keep up. My 04 chevy locked up twist solid going down the highway not fun experance. Should have them pressure test your power steering pump.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen with my 04 hemi.. it was intermitten at first then it slowly turned into the pump would only work went reved up passed about 2500 rpms.. made for fun turns haha.. i had 35x12.5-20's on it.. i know its not a ford but a steering pump

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running 37" , make sure I am moving before I turn the wheel , haven't had problems ...............yet!!!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Im on my second power steering pump and now need a third, and I have 35" tires on my 08 F350, Dealer will not warantee with larger with stock anymore. Ford has issued a Service Bulletin on this with any larger tires than stock. I am looking into an aftermarket pump. Dragonlady's truck is just starting the same thing, I think she had 30000km, Im at 109000 km on mine. The dealer says this is very common, but the tech guys from Ford are aware of this and will be watching dealers on the warantee calls.

bigsteel

Reaction score
I too had a 08 F350 with 37"'s on it...went thru 2 steering boxes and one pump...check the pitman arm nut...it tends to want to loosen in time...if this happens the gear will be f'd in no time. The only long term solution is to go with hydraulic steering kit that includes rebuilt and upgraded pump....about a $1700.00 upgrade...other than that keep fixing and repairing...lol...gotta pay to play!!

Regards,
Mike

ST1

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with the power steering on the 08 F350? Mine seems to be intermitten and at times there is none at all. I had it into the dealer and asked them about any recalls and of course the first thing they say is that the tires are too big.

Funny though as I explained to them it only happens every once in while, if it was the tires it would be all the time.

Any thoughts

Same problem wiht our shop truck....8" lift with 38" tires likely doesn't much. Truck has 20k, but only 5k with the lift and tires.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try adding some lucas power steering fix. made a difference in my 2000 F-250 with 4" lift and 35's. another thing you can try, one of my co-workers somehow pinched off the brake booster line just a bit to create more line pressure in the power steering. hey says it works for him :confused:

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not just the the blue oval the bowtie has the same issue. My 04 durmax and now my 08 lock up all the time. The worst is when your trying to back it up booster can't keep up. My 04 chevy locked up twist solid going down the highway not fun experance. Should have them pressure test your power steering pump.

Same problem with my 08 dmax, Dealer admitted to the problem, says GM is working on a fix. My dad has the same problem with his GM 09 1/2ton.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same problem with my 08 dmax, Dealer admitted to the problem, says GM is working on a fix. My dad has the same problem with his GM 09 1/2ton.

Not really a manufacturer defect if it's the hillbilly tires causing the problem....Is it?:d:d:d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Not really a manufacturer defect if it's the hillbilly tires causing the problem....Is it?:d:d:d

GM AND FORD IS HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH P/S PUMPS, AND IT'S NOT JUST ON THE "HILLBILLY" TIRE VEHICLES(THAT'S A GOODER):d........ STOCKERS ARE HAVING PROBLEMS TOO.....:(

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ric are you seeing any steering issues with dodge with larger tires.

besides "death wobble".......... Nope..... Just the normal ball joint replacement and tie-rods, and trac bar ....... My '06 had the ball joints replaced under warranty at 58000kms along with the tie-rod upgrade to the newer steering system(that i wish i never had them doo).......... I installed the dual steering dampner "superlift" system and the problem seems better, now..........

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have tried the lucas p/s treatment with some success.....it's not a proper fix, but more of a "patch" if it works......

yeah it is deffinately not a fix but i usually gets results. i call it the other chit costs more money fix haha :beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom