Pop, Fart POP Fart Misfire BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Calling DOO Gods!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished an excellent trip to Mcbride..... The Brother (Young-Gun) and I took the girls up for the first time and it was a BLAST!!!!! Saturday was a little cloudy, But Sunday Made up for it BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! Hit up Lucile both days and loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just one little issue......

Im runnning a 2006 REV 800 Powertek, 151 Summitt.... Just did the top end on her before the trip... Made sure to break her in a little before I opened her up (first day was Doubling the girls on our short seated sleds.... So it was a gentle ride up lucile...)...

Saturday and sunday she absolutely performed like a MAD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Power like u never believe!!!!!!!!!!! Really impressed with the improvement on comp that I got out of her (150 cold both sides, 135 hot both sides)

On the way down the trail to the staging area on Sunday.... I took the lead and left Young-gun in the dust!!!! Stopped to wait a while..... and the sled weirdly would not idle normally.... She idles about 5-600 rpm lower, sounding like it was laboring BAD!!! And then the imfamous POP FART run run run POP BANG!!!! WTF!!!!

We were going downhill.... So I figures Illl cork the tank right full (sled only picks up fuel from rear of tank) and changed the plugs to BRAND new BR9ECS's...
I had to wait fot the bro to ride down to the truck to get my oil tho (did oil delete, but forgot to mix jerry can :rolleyes: :realmad::nono::nono:... Oooops.....

So during the ten or fifteen min it took for bro to get back and forth the sled had some time to cool..... Once she was filled up and plugs were in..... fired her up.... sounded good..... wentr down the trail not even 100 yards..... POP POP BANG!!!!! Only at an idle tho......

Now Im getting worried..... I decided to get to the truck quickly.... So I opened her up WOT..... Wouldnt even get to 7000!!!!!!!! Sounded like a rev limiter or sparratic spark happening Im not sure... I got the BIBLE for this thin g and it says all the timing and such is monitored and adjusted by the ECM.... And the only way to change is hooking up to computer....... HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

So we loaded her and went home........ Once I got back home I fired her up again... RAN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! purred like a kitten!!!!!!! went for a little burn once the cooler was warm.... As soon as I stopped POP FART POP FART BANG!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON!!!! I cant figure it out if it happens so sperraticly lke that!!!!!

I am starting to think it has something to do with the ECM.... The module right under the headlights..... Seems like a silly place to put the brains of a sled.....I looked a little closer at it.... And it seems that the little vent on top of the ECM is frozen, like i cant even push it with a key... Enter BRIGHT light!!!!

Heres what I think..... All day it was warm enough on the mountain to keep the mopisture "wet" on the ECM.... allowing the little "vent" to read out altitude and whatever else it had to do..... Going down the trail at 7pm sun coming down getting cooler.....Moisture on ECM vent freezes, and hense ECM cannot read properly....

Also thinking that maybe my RAVES are sticking.... not sure tho..... Pretty sure I got the problem covered but I NEED the DOO GODS to help....

HELP ME OUT HERE GUYS!!!!!! ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME SLED BUT THESE LITTLE QWERKS ARE STARTING TO GET TO ME!!!!!:realmad:

Thanks guys and gals,,,, hope someone can help out!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG00666-20120320-1319.jpg Heres a pic of the Vent on my ECM right now!!!! +3 and its covered in water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enter Maxwell!!?? He will have the answer:d

LOL Oooops....!!!!!!! I meant to say DOO Goods, but DOO GODS work just as well..... Hopefully Maxwell Chimes in... But Im sure there are LOTS more Doo guys that can offer the same information that Maxwell has......

Lets hear U!!!!!!!!!!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to check the function of the rave's. Just pull the caps off and see if they are opening up at WOT. Look to see if they are sticky.

If it was mild its possible the carb's built up some moisture, if it happens again try running the carb heat. Also check to ensure both plugs look like they are in the same temp range. Maybe a coil or ignition wire is bad.

First thing I look for when not reaching rpm is clutching. If clutching is okay and a change in clicker yeilds a change in rpm I go to engine management systems. DPM, rave's, spark, ecm and so on.

Being that it ran great for two days and only had issues on the way down there could be a number of issues that you hadn't mentioned as well. Fuel tank was low, water settles, moisture in the tank.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 with an 860 just did very similar thing. Sled hasn't missed a beat in year and a half and started running like chit about 3km from the truck and completely died 4' from the truck and wouldn't even start back up. Changed the plugs and fired idled perfectly...unloaded at home ran normal for about 5mins then starting running really erratic again. Went and looked at it a few days later checked compression etc and then started ran perfect again but didn't have time to actually ride it.

Lots of wet snow the day it initially happened. Anyway I thought i blew it up (but both sides 145) but that all checks out so I was thinking electrical too but haven`t time to look at it. Maybe as you say TTB says it's moisture as i was running on the gas light for about 10km or so...

How would you trouble shoot the coil? Would it start and idle fine with a coil issue?

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to check the function of the rave's. Just pull the caps off and see if they are opening up at WOT. Look to see if they are sticky. Can I perform this while riding??? My brother took my can to sandblast and paint, cant run sled right now.....

If it was mild its possible the carb's built up some moisture, if it happens again try running the carb heat. Also check to ensure both plugs look like they are in the same temp range. Maybe a coil or ignition wire is bad. I run carb heaters off..... Could the plug wires be arching spark from wire to wire.... I put in Brand new boots and plugs before trip..... What wire would I look for for a Ignition/Coil wire????

First thing I look for when not reaching rpm is clutching. If clutching is okay and a change in clicker yeilds a change in rpm I go to engine management systems. DPM, rave's, spark, ecm and so on. Clutching is awesome..... Sled only lost rpms going down to staging area.....

Being that it ran great for two days and only had issues on the way down there could be a number of issues that you hadn't mentioned as well. Fuel tank was low, water settles, moisture in the tank.
..... This is the FIRST time I ever used Off Road Premium From Mc Bride..... Could this be the issue.... Anyone else have problems with it...??? I run 5 litres av gas to a tank...... just to keep octane up.... BUT the AV GAs is tightly sealed as i know it is a dry fuel and will wick moisture....

Pretty easy to check the function of the rave's. Just pull the caps off and see if they are opening up at WOT. Look to see if they are sticky. Can I perform this while riding??? My brother took my can to sandblast and paint, cant run sled right now.....

If it was mild its possible the carb's built up some moisture, if it happens again try running the carb heat. Also check to ensure both plugs look like they are in the same temp range. Maybe a coil or ignition wire is bad. I run carb heaters off..... Could the plug wires be arching spark from wire to wire.... I put in Brand new boots and plugs before trip..... What wire would I look for for a Ignition/Coil wire????

First thing I look for when not reaching rpm is clutching. If clutching is okay and a change in clicker yeilds a change in rpm I go to engine management systems. DPM, rave's, spark, ecm and so on. Clutching is awesome..... Sled only lost rpms going down to staging area.....

..... This is the FIRST time I ever used Off Road Premium From Mc Bride..... Could this be the issue.... Anyone else have problems with it...??? I run 5 litres av gas to a tank...... just to keep octane up.... BUT the AV GAs is tightly sealed as i know it is a dry fuel and will wick moisture....

Thanks for the replies...... We WILL get to the BOTTOM of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On another note... I was only able to stuff in about 18 litres of fuel into the tank on the trail down..... Dont think i starved it of fuel but maybe......

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 with an 860 just did very similar thing. Sled hasn't missed a beat in year and a half and started running like chit about 3km from the truck and completely died 4' from the truck and wouldn't even start back up. Changed the plugs and fired idled perfectly...unloaded at home ran normal for about 5mins then starting running really erratic again. Went and looked at it a few days later checked compression etc and then started ran perfect again but didn't have time to actually ride it.

Lots of wet snow the day it initially happened. Anyway I thought i blew it up (but both sides 145) but that all checks out so I was thinking electrical too but haven`t time to look at it. Maybe as you say TTB says it's moisture as i was running on the gas light for about 10km or so...

How would you trouble shoot the coil? Would it start and idle fine with a coil issue?

Im with u man I thought I blew her up too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the popping and farting at idle tells me that there is an intermittent spark maybe.... but at high rpms.... bad wires COULD arching between the two, PTO gets spark from mag side or mag side gets pto spark.....
and NO my wires aren't crossed LOL!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I took the ECM off and put it in a bag full of rice to see how much moisture I can suck out of her..... AND Im going to get a new set of wires as well..... Is there a specific type of Plug wire to get...??? Besides big $$$ BRP???

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check voltage regulator. had a few fry out on me with similar symptoms.

also inspect the dpm solenoid for proper operation using a 9 volt battery.

Can you elaborate a bit more with the 9 volt battery test...??? What do I do/What do I look for..?
Also how to check voltage regulator....
My dads rev did this to him a long time ago... But it fixed itself... Is the DPM Solenoid prone to sticking??? Or is the Regulator intermittently working???

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a bad DPM will not cause the symptoms you have described. DPM leans out your fuel mixture according to altitude and temp. I bet you could unplug your dpm and it would still idle fine and drive back down the trail without any issues.

sounds like a spark / timing / ECM / voltage issue. Try a different ECM maybe ? Is there any rust inside the ECM harness ? stuff it with dielectric grease and move it to the top of your oil reservoir. Super easy job, no re-wiring required

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a bad DPM will not cause the symptoms you have described. DPM leans out your fuel mixture according to altitude and temp. I bet you could unplug your dpm and it would still idle fine and drive back down the trail without any issues.

sounds like a spark / timing / ECM / voltage issue. Try a different ECM maybe ? Is there any rust inside the ECM harness ? stuff it with dielectric grease and move it to the top of your oil reservoir. Super easy job, no re-wiring required

want to make a bet? a siezed solenoid has more effects that you think. extra current load for one can do funny things to the electronics system. when its seized its basically shorted.

im not saying thats the problem but start eliminating the easy things that fail regularly.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ECM harness is Spotless!!!!!!!!!! No rest whatsoever... But as stated before... That little vent on the ECM was Frozen.. The foam insert was so solid I couldnt deform the foam pushing it with a key....

Im thinking that ECM vent froze off, causing partial issues....

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
want to make a bet? a siezed solenoid has more effects that you think. extra current load for one can do funny things to the electronics system. when its seized its basically shorted.

im not saying thats the problem but start eliminating the easy things that fail regularly.

I am gonna try to test the DPM tomorrow Maxwell...... BUT whats your thinking on the Vent on ECM freezing off solid...???

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ECM harness is Spotless!!!!!!!!!! No rest whatsoever... But as stated before... That little vent on the ECM was Frozen.. The foam insert was so solid I couldnt deform the foam pushing it with a key....

Im thinking that ECM vent froze off, causing partial issues....

maybe but i duno.... i sunk an xp under water for 8 hours and it fired up and ran like a top LOL

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe but i duno.... i sunk an xp under water for 8 hours and it fired up and ran like a top LOL

was it a solid ice chunk??? I can see if it was WET it still could calculate and adjust for altitude etc... cuz the water is not a solid state... But, when the water turns to ice on a 110km/hr trail ride... Might be a different story.... I dunno Im taking all you advice and running with it Maxwell, what else ya got???

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was it a solid ice chunk??? I can see if it was WET it still could calculate and adjust for altitude etc... cuz the water is not a solid state... But, when the water turns to ice on a 110km/hr trail ride... Might be a different story.... I dunno Im taking all you advice and running with it Maxwell, what else ya got???

true water would not block it like ice would. that may be your issue. hard to diagnose until you rule that out for us. take it for a rip

Top Bottom