pods on a 700 doo zx

mel.h

Reaction score
So I did the v-force reeds, liked the mild improvement, was a b---h to get the air box back on though. Talking to a guy & he said to shave a little off the boot that connects the air box to the carbs. Not a big fan of this idea, wonder if pods would be the way to go!!! Anyone done this to the same series of 700's?What is the pros & cons?

Canuck 1

Reaction score
I too installed v force reeds and had a very tough time installing the air box.
We're running a 700 summit and I belive that the air box is monitored buy the
dpm so I can't / don't want to use pods. I've seen the air box housing and the
cowling plastic slightly trimmed to help facilitate the removal / install.This was
done carefully / tastefully and was not very noticable.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Smurff1000 was running pods on his 700 doo. was a pain to get the DPM working properly but he did it. worked out pretty good to if memory serves me right. you could try pming him for info.Hope this helps:d:beer:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the pods,really wakes them up.You just got to keep the air box sensor dry,any moisture and she will not go over 7000 rpm,and run sh*tty.I have my air box sensor and hose coming off air bow wrapped in a peice of SLP cloth.You could just get 2 more filter socks and wrap them in that .

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the pods,really wakes them up.You just got to keep the air box sensor dry,any moisture and she will not go over 7000 rpm,and run sh*tty.I have my air box sensor and hose coming off air bow wrapped in a peice of SLP cloth.You could just get 2 more filter socks and wrap them in that .

I did the same thing. I also jumped up one size on my main jets and gave the throttle screw half a turn counter clockwise. I run an aftermarket head on mine so you may not have to change your jets but it did work for me.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't just want to throw a set of pods on. You will suck in a large amount of hot air from underneath the hood. Pods take some tuning to work out, once you do, they will outperform the airbox hands down (I know someone will debate this point with me :) ).

There are a few hiccups with pods, most people don't understand what it takes to make them run, they just throw them on, then say their sled runs like crap, take them off and throw them in the garbage without understanding a few principles.

1) For venting - the airbox has a negative draw on it for the carb float bowl venting. You cannot just disconnect the float vent lines from the airbox and vent to atmosphere without altering jetting, your sled may run pig rich. If you vent to atmosphere, the bowls will have more pressure on them, meaning less vacuum in the venturi is needed to draw fuel up. Now, that being said, it is not the gospel. Some things need to be tried first, by some stroke of luck, you might have a positive pressure in your airbox, in which case you would need to jet up but I have never seen this (not without a turbo anyway.... :D) or somehow you are getting a ram air effect into the stock airbox (never seen this either). At higher speeds (high trail speeds especially with cold mornings), the setup that I use (when the windshield is off) generates high pressures which kind of forces more air into the filters. This makes my setup a little leaner on the trail (re: positive pressure in the intake tubes) which is why I use powerjets to compensate in the mid to upper fuel circuits (see #5). Average to slow speed I have never noticed a difference though.

2) Jetting - will need to be played with for sure, depending on venting and setup. Start fat and work to a good baseline, even if you end up back at the original stock jetting, better to always be safe than sorry.

3) Pressure - if venting to the atmosphere, there will be positive pressure on the vents at atmospheric compared to less if they were vented to the airbox (see #1).

4) Pods are nice, but it is still a pain in the a__ to re-jet even a couple times a ride, buy yourself some clippard power jets and install them. Get some one way valves from Thunder Products, no matter where you get the powerjets from though. World of difference. :D

5) Hot air = BAD. If you just put the pods on your carbs, build something to keep them from sucking hot air from the engine bay. Anything that keeps the hot air out, build a little block off plate for behind the filters out of cardboard (not really recommending this :)), dryer tubing, flexible PVC black hoses and duct tape, whatever, but get them sucking cold air. They are worthless if they can't flow cold air. Sucking hot air and spent exhaust fumes won't help the motors performance....

I built some velocity stacks for mine, they induct cold air from where my headlight used to be (piece of screen on the headlight opening keeps the snow out). They also pull cold air from behind them where the speedo used to be (for deep snow days when the windshield is on and covers the headlight hole). I use two hose clamps around the red silicon connector to hold the tube to the carb.

You can still run the carb vent lines to the tubes if you want (I don't but it might be a good idea if you are running DPM) or run the DPM lines to the tubes as well. Use a "Y" connector and connect a vent line from each tube into the line for the DPM. Any other sensors could be installed in the tubes as well (i.e. your air temp sensor). Drill a hole and use the rubber bung from the airbox to slip it in there. Some guys just tape it to the steering post support though, but it would be more accurate in the actual tube.

This same setup could be made with flexible PVC pipes and hose clamps in a very crude and rudimentary fashion, simply run the tubes from a cold air induction point to the carbs and slip them over the filters and then hose clamp in place. Would be ugly as sin but I hope you get the idea. The focus is to get the cold air to them.

Actually being able to get your hands in there is nice as well, besides all the other benefits. I got all my aluminum tubing (purchased from Unlimited Performance in Calgary). It is made by Vibrant for turbo intakes. Whole setup was less than $100 and weighs about 1.5 lbs.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Attachments

• Air intake 03.jpg
    Air intake 03.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Air intake 01.jpg
    Air intake 01.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 44

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya same as mine very simple no di*king around at all,just make sure airbox sensor stays DRY,I would also get the k&n style filters not the pods with foam foam gets wets and freezes.Just make sure you get the water proof socks that go over the filters.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya same as mine very simple no di*king around at all,just make sure airbox sensor stays DRY,I would also get the k&n style filters not the pods with foam foam gets wets and freezes.Just make sure you get the water proof socks that go over the filters.
You get a pre-treater for the foam, spray on type (don't use the Bel-Ray stuff, too sticky). two seasons on these ones, they haven't sucked up any water and never frozen once, shed water all day and never need oiling. 4Z did some tests a few years ago, these filters actually flowed the most of the foamies and were comparable to K&N's.

Top Bottom