Playing guitar

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I had a Pearl white washburn 3/4 acoustic with electric pick-ups that I picked up at a pawn shop for $100 and absolutely loved..... my son knocked it over and it separated at the neck, glued and clamped it and it held for another year until the wife knocked it over and it broke at the same spot (think they are trying to tell me something????)
Now I have an deep red Ovation Applause 3/4 with pick-ups and a little Yamaha amp that I never use, the ovation sounded as good as the full size Yamaha and the 3/4 is a much better fir for me. My only complaint is that the rounded polly back on it makes it compact BUT it also likes to slide down my leg when I'm playing.

I play a bunch of stuff from a bunch of Jimmy Buffet to Everclear to Ozzy & Metallica. I like the country/folk stuff Kenny Rogers, Don McLean and sometimes bang out to the headstones and tragically hip.

Grew up with dad playing Johnny Horton/Irish Rovers/Buffet and have tried to learn most of that stuff because as a kid they were good campfire sing along songs.

My biggest issue is I can't play and drink, once I have 3 or 4 beers into me I cant remember lyrics.

washburn.jpg ovation.jpg

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Pearl white washburn 3/4 acoustic with electric pick-ups that I picked up at a pawn shop for $100 and absolutely loved..... my son knocked it over and it separated at the neck, glued and clamped it and it held for another year until the wife knocked it over and it broke at the same spot (think they are trying to tell me something????)
Now I have an deep red Ovation Applause 3/4 with pick-ups and a little Yamaha amp that I never use, the ovation sounded as good as the full size Yamaha and the 3/4 is a much better fir for me. My only complaint is that the rounded polly back on it makes it compact BUT it also likes to slide down my leg when I'm playing.

I play a bunch of stuff from a bunch of Jimmy Buffet to Everclear to Ozzy & Metallica. I like the country/folk stuff Kenny Rogers, Don McLean and sometimes bang out to the headstones and tragically hip.

Grew up with dad playing Johnny Horton/Irish Rovers/Buffet and have tried to learn most of that stuff because as a kid they were good campfire sing along songs.

My biggest issue is I can't play and drink, once I have 3 or 4 beers into me I cant remember lyrics.

View attachment 194438View attachment 194437

My mom had an Applause when I was growing up. I remember it sliding down my leg too now that you mention it haha! I left it on the floor by the couch one night about grade ten... and she stepped on it the next morning while getting ready for work. She was PIZZED! I bought her and Ibanez to replace it but she still brings it up(meaning shes still pizzed)!!! Lol

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about starting up guitar again, but its been about 25yrs since I have played, and at that time I didn't play well.

Now that I have gotten older and my fingers fatter from pulling wrenches I have decided to try playing again. I've got an old Studio Calidad that my dad gave me to pluck away on until I can get a better once I get more "rhythm" sort of speak :)

So here is my question, should a person start with tabs or chords. What I remember is tabs is easier, but it makes it harder to read music,.. am I right?

For those that started out,.. what did you do, or are you doing?

Thanks,

Doo you know how to tune it and play any little riffs still? Its hard to find the time to practice. I suggest playing what you like and dont wear yourself out on it. But keep your axe in tune and handy, search a simple song on one of the tab sites and dont take it too seriously, doesnt sound like youre going to be getting paid to play anytime soon hahaha

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Songsterr is a great app if you're using an iPad. They have a website too. I like how they have tab for individual guitars in the song as well as a basic chord chart with lyrics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What bands/guitars do you play fnDan?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What bands/guitars do you play fnDan?

I like to play almost everything. 50's to now. Country, rock, pop, some metal but no jazz. I think Blues is my favourite and can dumb down a few SRV songs.
I have 4 acoustics. A super cheap Samick, a fender cutaway, luna travel size and last year spent a little more money and bought myself a fairly nice Taylor. Nice to me anyway.
2 electrics. A mexican strat that I've had for 20 years and PRS Tremonti SE. I did have an 80's Jackson but I wrecked it when I tried to refinish it. Cheap wood under the paint.
I tried a few start up bands last year. Between difference in musical taste, volume wars and people putting in some effort to learn songs, it was hard and hasn't worked out.... yet. I'm easy going and willing to learn songs I normally would avoid just for the fun of playing with a bass and drums.
I bought an older 100 watt Line6 amp for playing in a band. Awesome amp that can play almost any music style you want. I've never had the volume past 5. One day I'll set it up in the garage and see what the limit is.
For those that are learning songs, try the Jamup app on ipad. You can load a song from your music library to play along. The cool feature is that you can slow the song down and it doesn't change the pitch.
If you're just starting, practice chords like crazy. You want to get to a point where you no longer need to really look at the fret board. Once you can hit the major chords easily, start looking at which fingers are using the same note for different chords. I call them connectors. The finger or fingers you can leave in place that work in another chord and make changes easier.
I also have a Boss RC-2 looper pedal. I can waste hours playing with it. As long as the fingers will last. Look up boss looper pedal contest on youtube.

I'll post some songs I like later. If others want to share, it's a great way to learn about songs you may not ever run into on your own.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old man taught himself way back when, bought his first out of the Sears and Roebuck without letting the family know. Practiced chords till he was blue in the face....so he said. He had a small band that played local functions for about 5 years. I started learning guitar but soon took the sports route and played 14yrs of hockey before my back gave out. I often think about starting again but as I grew older my short fat fingers just don't move freely anymore.

I can remember like yesterday my Dad practicing his vocals and chords in the living room. Some of the songs he sang I can sing I know lyrics too and quack out a few note's.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own several guitars,I find it addicting buying guitars.I still can't play worth a chit,but i keep trying using tabs.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lucked out buying my first guitar. Went to Axe music an got a great sales guy I guess. Have a Seagull S6 with the built in pickup and tuner. So easy to play and sounds great. I can relate to getting to a certain level and then just staying there. Not naturally musical so it has been a very uphill battle. But when a guy looks at the songs I can play now I guess Ive come a long ways. No better feeling than playing and singing a song you love. Unfortunately....Ive discovered that I sounds nothing like Eddie Vedder and never will. haha

Top Bottom