Pine Beetle

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I`m just wondering. So far our fall has been alot coolder than most falls. With the early cold season were are having does anyone know if this will be enough to kill some of these little critters off.They have said in the past early cold spells catch the beetle before they can build up their internall anti-freeze. Just wondering

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I`m just wondering. So far our fall has been alot coolder than most falls. With the early cold season were are having does anyone know if this will be enough to kill some of these little critters off.They have said in the past early cold spells catch the beetle before they can build up their internall anti-freeze. Just wondering
Rule of thumb for them pesky critters is minus 40. Anything warmer than that just helps them build up their endurance.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any pine trees left in BC????

Found this, its a good read....

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are areas of BC with healthy pine trees. The Cariboo region and west of Prince George is by far the hardest hit.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you have dead pine tree's in your area from the pine beatle their already gone... they kinda move through in a wave and don't come back upon themselves... so I was educated by a forestry friend when i wanted to replant tree's we had to cute down in Central BC.

Don't forget the early cold help kills the deer and moose ticks too... always a bonus for anyone that frequents tick infested areas

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lotsa Pine Tree's left in BC, just most of them are dead. Been hauling them for 8 plus years, they say probably going to be hauling them for another 5.

McTwist

Reaction score
Up here we have a bad infestation in the Kluane region and AFAIK nothing is being done and it is coming close to one town. I drive through the area all the time and in any given area it looks like 50% of the trees are dead. I keep wondering how they are going to fight the fire when it finally starts, so many dead trees it will spread rapidly.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember cutting Seismic line back in the day "Heli Portable, Mountains" and having to buck all trees I fell to a length of 18" from butt to tip. DAMN I was in awesome shape then!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up here we have a bad infestation in the Kluane region and AFAIK nothing is being done and it is coming close to one town. I drive through the area all the time and in any given area it looks like 50% of the trees are dead. I keep wondering how they are going to fight the fire when it finally starts, so many dead trees it will spread rapidly.

Fires in the dead pine are more of a myth than a problem, once the beetles hit the tree dies, no more sap and dont burn very well.

In this region we thought on spark and the whole province would burn, turns out the fires dont get started near as easy after only on winter when the snow removes the dead needles and the wood doesnt burn as hot.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fires in the dead pine are more of a myth than a problem, once the beetles hit the tree dies, no more sap and dont burn very well.

In this region we thought on spark and the whole province would burn, turns out the fires dont get started near as easy after only on winter when the snow removes the dead needles and the wood doesnt burn as hot.
yessir, once the needles are gone the risk of crowning is pretty much gone. big fires rarely burn the wood, runs along the ground in the grass and dead leaves until it hits big spruce or pine and the needles are what cause the huge and rapid spread. once they get to a certain temperature they explode, it's pretty wild to see it crowning firsthand. been to lots of big fires.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sad thing about pine beetle is to the un trained eye you don't know you have them until they're gone and everything is dead... when I lived in Central BC the joke was that when the dead pine beetle forests start buring it wouldn't stop until it hit the yukon... guess that's not true anymore! Sad. In BC, it seems two things are happening. Our Pine Bettle killed forests aren't burning... always seems like some good patch of virgin timber (look at the big Lillooet/ Clinton fires of 2009 burned everything butt...) I think the forest industry has done a great job of removing pine killed forest (thank God NDP were not in power... but that's for anther post imhop) and when they logged even if the wood wasn't market ready they'd pile it and burn it. Anyone drive through Merritt? Some of the biggest burn piles I have every seen. Then yes, there are guys like GYMBRAT who got paid (thanks) to take extra time if they saw a dead pine tree to knock it down and cut it into small pieces... I can only guess that this would help an already dead tree decompose quicker??? BC did this in all areas where they couldn't log... under power line and around small town's ect...

McTwist your lucky I have been triing to re locate to whitehorse for the last 10 years!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

makes for great easy fire wood when your camping though!!!

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yessir, once the needles are gone the risk of crowning is pretty much gone. big fires rarely burn the wood, runs along the ground in the grass and dead leaves until it hits big spruce or pine and the needles are what cause the huge and rapid spread. once they get to a certain temperature they explode, it's pretty wild to see it crowning firsthand. been to lots of big fires.

Good point, I had no idea about this! maybe that would explain my post better then I did... sorry didn't read the last comments until I posted...

Top Bottom