parents who never learned to say "No" to their children.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't know how many saw this under the "zero teacher" thread so I re-posted it.

I found this interesting. Villeneuve hit the nail on the head, IMHO. It isn't right on the issue but it is all about the big picture.

Race-car driver Villeneuve tears strip off Quebec protesters in five-minute critique

at 01:40 on June 08, 2012, EDT.

Peter Rakobowchuk, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Quebec's student protesters have a new celebrity critic — and he's firing away on all cylinders.
Jacques Villeneuve, the Quebec-born car-racing champion, is upset at a protest movement that has gone on for months and is now promising to turn up at Formula One Grand Prix events in Montreal all weekend.
In a five-minute exchange with reporters Thursday, Villeneuve urged the protesters to go back to school.
He suggested they were lazy. He called them an embarrassment to Canada — especially to Quebec. He suggested they were badly raised, by parents who never learned to say, 'No.'
And he said they risked scaring away tourists and wealthy taxpayers, who would just pick up and invest elsewhere in a more stable climate.
The student protest movement has received the enthusiastic endorsement of many Quebec celebrities and near-unanimous support from the artistic community. But the Quebec-born, Monaco-raised driver just might have become the most famous, most virulent new critic of the movement.
"It's time for people to wake up and stop loafing about. It's lasted long enough," Villeneuve told reporters at a cocktail benefit that kicked off the four-day Grand Prix festivities.
"We heard them. We listened. They should stop. It's costing the city a fortune. It makes no sense."
As for their parents, Villeneuve said: "I think these people grew up without ever hearing their parents ever tell them, 'No.' So that's what you see in the streets now. People spending their time complaining. It's becoming a little bit ridiculous. They spoke, we heard, and now it's time to go back to school."
He said that in a democracy, people can vote to turf governments, and speak their mind between elections to make themselves heard — but they have to know when to give it a rest.
"That's what democracy is. We vote for people — and if you're not happy, then you vote for other people the next time around. And if you're not happy you complain, they listen, and that's it," he said.
"Same with your parents: 'Daddy, mommy, I don't like this.' Well, go back to bed now." Villeneuve said he was raised to believe in hard work, and not imagine money will fall from the sky.
He also compared the students to the London rioters last year and said they were "rebels without a cause."
In the end, he said, the students are hurting themselves because they're pushing for things that aren't fiscally sustainable — and they'll end up paying one day. Unfortunately, he said, if they keep it up there will be less taxpayers around to help foot the bill.
"And where does the government get the money? From taxes, from selling stuff. The next thing they will say is, 'Well, take it from the rich,'" he said.
"And that's when you have the rich moving to another country."
The student protesters dismiss the idea that taxes would need to be raised to freeze or eliminate tuition — which represents only a tiny fraction of the provincial budget and pales in comparison to the money spent on corporate subsidies.
Scores of protesters demonstrated outside the cocktail event Villeneuve was attending, in the company of other racing figures and celebrities. It was a glitzy $1,000-a-plate fundraiser, with proceeds going to a local children's hospital. Some protesters have promised to disrupt events throughout the Grand Prix weekend and even jam the metro leading to the race track on Sunday.
Villeneuve, 41, won the 1997 Formula One world championship and received the adulation of local sports fans who feted his success with a roaring celebration before a Montreal Canadiens game. After several difficult seasons he left Formula One in 2005 and has since raced on other circuits.
He said he's heard from people outside the country commenting on the student protests in Quebec — but he said the opinion is ill-informed and based almost entirely on the one-sided take of protesters.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup that's about it. "We're entitled to free tuition" will turn into "taxes are too high" once they are done school. That is provided they aren't all liberal arts students, in which case they will all be working at Starbucks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yup that's about it. "We're entitled to free tuition" will turn into "taxes are too high" once they are done school. That is provided they aren't all liberal arts students, in which case they will all be working at Starbucks.

in which case they will all be working at Starbucks.... and living in their parents house with their wife and 3-4 kids expecting a welfare cheque cause they just can't make it on the income they have. I liked the fact the Gilles mentioned the rich leaving the province and investors not investing putting more demands on the tax payer. Boy, we have it good in Western Canada other than those goofy Occupation Creeps who think they should be like the rich people without working a day in their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Villeneuve said: "I think these people grew up without ever hearing their parents ever tell them, 'No.'"

LMAO! That coming from a millionaire that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once they can get thier free tuition (that Alberta pays for),they can move on to bigger protests . Like shutting down the oilsands..........

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably a bunch of tree hugger children that would want the oil companies out of business but would still take that 'dirty' money to pay for their education!!:twocents:

aaron_m

Reaction score
ANd the chair of the F1 was asked to comment. His remarks werre basically that he thought the quebec kids had it easy, if they were to complain about how much education costs, come to England.
Canada's biggest welfare case is Quebec. If they want to separate, AWESOME. One less trasfer payment to these leeches

Luchak58

Reaction score
Canada's biggest welfare case is Quebec. If they want to separate, AWESOME. One less trasfer payment to these leeches

Couldn't agree with that statement more. I can't believe they complain about their tuition, which I believe I read as $1800 a year (I could be wrong). Regardless, I'm a student as well and my tuition is $3000.00 a SEMESTER! However, you don't see me complaining.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know any of the number's involved as to what a course costs in the west compared to there,
so I cant say too much.I do know that I spent a shyt load of my own money going to college here.
I wanted to try and better my future,so I paid for it.I dont know what they are all in an uprore about.
If you want a university education,then go get a loan and pay for it.
They are just like another of my favorite people in this country.They want everything handed to them,
untill the end of time.We are all canadian,and we all should be treated the same.
NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANYONE.........................................

Top Bottom