Old Rail line owneership??

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question??

After C.P. or C.N. abandon a rail line right of way,,,,Who owns the land after the rails and ties are gone??Does it go to the farmer who owns the land beside it or is it still owned by the rail company??Or does it go back to the Government??

Last edited:

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
The way I understand it is,,,,,,,,,,,,, years ago they let any land owners take over that part of the rail line,,,,,,,, anything outside of private land was then owned by the gov. There are a couple landowners who HATE offroaders and don't want anything to do with anykind of trail system.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some old CPR railway was given to Alberta Trailnet to create trails. For example the Transcanada Trail

Other railway has been used for the Ironhorse Trail multi use trail (ATV included:)). Alberta's Iron Horse Trail News Maps Communities

Some is leased as grazing land and is not accessable.
we asked recently about the abandoned line west of Grimshaw on behalf of our sled club, seems like it is owned or controlled by the government....they don't want to give/sell the land to adjacent landowners but prefer it be used by recreational groups. I believe we are going to persue it for possible trails in the area, it would link several communities from Grimshaw all the way to Hines Creek and points west.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On this subject, I am trying to find current information about the (BC) rail line that runs from Ft. St. James BC to Dease Lake BC, 663 km's. Started in the 1960's, and on Oct 15 1973, the first 201 km's to LOVEL, BC was opened. In 1978 it was recommended that construction be discontiued. As of 2005, the line extends to a point called Minaret, BC still 281 km's South of Dease Lake. Is there anyone one on this forum that has any CURRENT information on this Rail Line? (Can be seen on Google Earth/BC Backroad GPS Maps, Zoom in to 700 m, on the computer.)

Bruce .:ranger: 6X6

RZR800

Reaction score
Contact Alberta Trailnet for help with this project. Their purpose it to help user groups communicate with government.

Alberta Trail Net Information Centre

we asked recently about the abandoned line west of Grimshaw on behalf of our sled club, seems like it is owned or controlled by the government....they don't want to give/sell the land to adjacent landowners but prefer it be used by recreational groups. I believe we are going to persue it for possible trails in the area, it would link several communities from Grimshaw all the way to Hines Creek and points west.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question??

After C.P. or C.N. abandon a rail line right of way,,,,Who owns the land after the rails and ties are gone??Does it go to the farmer who owns the land beside it or is it still owned by the rail company??Or does it go back to the Government??
Depends on each individual situation.

Top Bottom