Oil analysis

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone have their engine oil tested? If so what lab do you use and what is the cost?

Finning can do it for you Steve, I'm not sure if they would send it up here to teh Edmonton Lab or if there is one in Lethbridge.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost any freightliner, peterbilt, kenworth etc dealer will have a set up with a lab.

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finning does mine in Edm,I get mine for free because we purchase the SOS sample bottles through Cat Rental

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take all oil sampling with a grain of salt. Samples can be mixed up easily in the lab. Not knocking it as I send in about 50 samples a month. If ya get a bad one resample. And there is different tests they do so pay for full meal deal.

Didnt really think one outfit seemed that good so as a test we sent a sample in that we put iron filings from a ball bearing in it. Came back a ok. Just a FYI.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These labs work with parts per million, not parts per hundred.

Take all oil sampling with a grain of salt. Samples can be mixed up easily in the lab. Not knocking it as I send in about 50 samples a month. If ya get a bad one resample. And there is different tests they do so pay for full meal deal.

Didnt really think one outfit seemed that good so as a test we sent a sample in that we put iron filings from a ball bearing in it. Came back a ok. Just a FYI.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cuso is right, regarding the particulate size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Caper

Thing is, they probably take a fraction of what the bottle holds, do their analysis, and recycle the rest. If there was actual flakes in the oil from wear from the motor, they would detect the particulate.

One thing I myself realized, was if you do an oil analysis, make sure you get your sample mid stream of the flow during an oil change and not the dregs off of the bottom of the pan. This also can skew the readings.

Cuso is right, regarding the particulate size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom