OEM vs After market fuel filter/oil filter?

NORDIC

Reaction score
I have a GMC Duramax, recently switched over to running Baldwin fuel/oil filter instead of the over priced gm filters. Truck is not under warranty any more. Good idea?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, but make sure you look for at least a 5micron fuel filter if possible, as for air filter I don't know.

There are aftermarket kits you can get to filter down to 2mic for fuel filter.

In my Cummins I went to a Baldwin PF7977 5mic

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil filter is a wash, IMO. Tranny filter, I run nothing but the OEM Allison filter. Get them from an Allison dealer and they're way cheaper than they are at a GM dealer. Fuel filter is what you have to watch. I'm running the Parker Racor fuel filter, who makes the fuel filters for AC Delco. GM has changed their spec on the fuel filter a couple times, so make sure you're using the latest one if you go that direction. (PFF50216 is the Parker number for the latest coalescer filter)

NORDIC

Reaction score
okay thanks for the info, do you know how many micron that fuel filter is? The baldwin i am running is 5 micron

grizzlydave

Reaction score
The duramax is one of the most picky diesels for the size of particle that can cause damage to the injectors, Most of the reading I have done on the subject has shown that filter that is rated down to 2 microns will heavily increase the life of your injectors. This link explaines some of the issues
[/url]m/reviews/megafilter.htm

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The duramax is one of the most picky diesels for the size of particle that can cause damage to the injectors, Most of the reading I have done on the subject has shown that filter that is rated down to 2 microns will heavily increase the life of your injectors. This link explaines some of the issues
[/url]m/reviews/megafilter.htm
2 microns is super anal........... most companies dont even make them. Baldwin makes a good filter, but Donaldson is better. Cut them open and look.... its piece of mind you can see the qaulity. Fleetgaurd when open looks like a sweat shop full of toddlers assembled them. piece of string to hold it together, as donaldson is a metal strip. I personaly run Fram on my cummins cause they are cheap and Cambodian tire stocks and is open sunday.

Top Bottom