NVIS paperwork for buying leftover snowcheck in Alberta

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so... my snowcheck was stolen from my dealer before delivery. Dealer purchased a similar snowcheck from another dealership in Alberta to provide to me as replacement.
Here's where I'm confused. The NVIS document is not in my name as it comes in the name of the person who originally snow checked it. The bill of sales however IS in my name.

In the past, I have always had to show the NVIS paperwork to register a new off road machine for the first time. My situation should be no different than anyone who has bought an unclaimed snowcheck and registered it in Alberta. Can anyone tell me what happens in this situation?

Thanks! Dan

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so... my snowcheck was stolen from my dealer before delivery. Dealer purchased a similar snowcheck from another dealership in Alberta to provide to me as replacement.
Here's where I'm confused. The NVIS document is not in my name as it comes in the name of the person who originally snow checked it. The bill of sales however IS in my name.

In the past, I have always had to show the NVIS paperwork to register a new off road machine for the first time. My situation should be no different than anyone who has bought an unclaimed snowcheck and registered it in Alberta. Can anyone tell me what happens in this situation?

Thanks! Dan

When my dealer forgot to give me the NVIS a couple of years ago I was still able to buy plates at the local registry. I took in the bill of sale and my insurance info. The clerk asked where the NIVS was....I said that I never got it and she still gave me plates.....

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks... on alberta registries site the state that a NVIS must be provided to register a new machine but obviously some registry offices have a more relaxed policy.
I just got off the phone with an alberta registries rep. She says that the name on the NVIS is not their concern. .. only that the vin# and vehicle info matches my bill of sales.
I just wanted to make sure nobody has run into problems with this.

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My NVIS sheets where lost with my snow checks and the dealer just gave me a letter and I was able to get registration... This was on units bought in alberta and registered in BC

stomper

Reaction score
Thanks... on alberta registries site the state that a NVIS must be provided to register a new machine but obviously some registry offices have a more relaxed policy.
I just got off the phone with an alberta registries rep. She says that the name on the NVIS is not their concern. .. only that the vin# and vehicle info matches my bill of sales.
I just wanted to make sure nobody has run into problems with this.

I did the same thing...bought someone's Snowcheck and registry was no issue, just have bill of sale in your name.

Danbot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing...bought someone's Snowcheck and registry was no issue, just have bill of sale in your name.

Perfect! Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Dan

Top Bottom