Non PAL required weapons

daddys girl

Reaction score
Something else to think about is making sure your significant other is up to snuff on your home defense remedy, whatever it may be. I work away from home every so often which is why I have large dogs. I find them to be one of the best deterrents. Having bear spray, paintball gun for you is great, but if your not around then what. Make sure they are competent and comfortable using whatever it is. 12 gauge is a little big, youth or tactical 20 gauge with buckshot is the trick for mama. Just racking that slide should have em running. Big enough to pack a punch, small enough she's not scared of it

Using buckshot for home defence is a bad idea.It can penetrate a wall and maybe kill a innocent on the other side.Also it has a pretty long range of travel,agin don't want to hurt the wrong person.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Using buckshot for home defence is a bad idea.It can penetrate a wall and maybe kill a innocent on the other side.Also it has a pretty long range of travel,agin don't want to hurt the wrong person.

To each their own. I prefer buck over bird shot but that's me. I would rather stop intruder. If you miss with bird....don't forget I'm also talking 20 gauge, not 12. there is lots of different shot options out there. Point I was trying to make was us big strong males aren't always around when shot goes southland having a home defense tool of any kind is no good if wife can't or doesn't know how to use it.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this one when it was on sale for $419. Wish I would have went with a PoE system.
lorex.JPG

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smart phones and other electronic chit can leaves a trace,, gotta cover your tracks good now a days.
But hey, people disappear every day and you're right, they probably aren't the kind of people who will be missed.

Personally I think an assault rifle; AR15 ext is your best option. Not like Id ever want to shoot someone,, but if its a life or death situation...

What if they show up with an AR and all you have is a paintball gun?
No doubt the .223 is better then a paint ball, but if you really want protection use a 12 gauge. A shot gun is easy to use, no aiming required, just point and shoot. One shot and your done. It's also a lot less ofensive to use your duck hunting gun then assault rifle and there a lot cheaper and easy to use. I think the biggest benefit of a shoot gun is that it is just plain intimidating and might just solve your problem with out firing a shot. Culprit might need a underwear change though.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt the .223 is better then a paint ball, but if you really want protection use a 12 gauge. A shot gun is easy to use, no aiming required, just point and shoot. One shot and your done. It's also a lot less ofensive to use your duck hunting gun then assault rifle and there a lot cheaper and easy to use. I think the biggest benefit of a shoot gun is that it is just plain intimidating and might just solve your problem with out firing a shot. Culprit might need a underwear change though.

I live in the country, in the city a rifle not a good idea. Might shoot your neighbor by accident and you'll be going to jail.
Out here, neighbor is a mile away,, also have a backhoe... Chit tends to get real in the sticks. There is no cops around, gotta be ready for it.

Shotgun would be fine against unarmed crackhead thieves, but if you had an armed gang of thugs or zombies I'd rather have a AR.

Last edited:

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The PoE system is just easier to install.
Also much better resolution from network cameras. My network (POE) cameras are 5 Megapixels, where all cctv (bnc + power) are maxed out at less than 1080 p resolution. Huge difference in picture quality.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My internet is not reliable enough to be the centre cog of my security monitoring. I may set up a separate single 5-8 MP camera on a network connection but I want that DVR recording.

Realistically I could likely get away with dummy cameras and a sign, but Rather than bluffing I will have hard evidence for the RC's next time.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My internet is not reliable enough to be the centre cog of my security monitoring. I may set up a separate single 5-8 MP camera on a network connection but I want that DVR recording.

Realistically I could likely get away with dummy cameras and a sign, but Rather than bluffing I will have hard evidence for the RC's next time.
Internet quality does not affect the recording or playback abilities of the NVR or your DVR.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I got to play around with a Hikvision analog camera DVR system that is high resolution. I'm not sure how they do it, but using coax cabling and BNC connectors they put out true 720p quality and I think they offer 1080p as well. And very attractive prices with a nice web interface for viewing on other computers, or from anywhere in the world over the internet, plus a mobile app.

The other thing that doesn't get much attention when shopping for CCTV cameras is low light capabilities. Once a camera hits 1080p (or 2MP), low light performance makes a bigger difference in real world video quality than huge resolutions like 3/4/5MP.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get where your coming from, but I am sticking with my Bennell 3 ½ Nitro Mags. 2 oz per shell = 875 grains on target. Yes the range is less then the AR but even with the reduced velocity it hits with about 10x the force at close range . Now on the zombies are we talking the slow zombies or the fast ones. LMAO
I live in the country, in the city a rifle not a good idea. Might shoot your neighbor by accident and you'll be going to jail.
Out here, neighbor is a mile away,, also have a backhoe... Chit tends to get real in the sticks. There is no cops around, gotta be ready for it.

Shotgun would be fine against unarmed crackhead thieves, but if you had an armed gang of thugs or zombies I'd rather have a AR.

daddys girl

Reaction score
I get where your coming from, but I am sticking with my Bennell 3 ½ Nitro Mags. 2 oz per shell = 875 grains on target. Yes the range is less then the AR but even with the reduced velocity it hits with about 10x the force at close range . Now on the zombies are we talking the slow zombies or the fast ones. LMAO

I hate zombies,they don't like sandwiches

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Could be fast, could be slow zombies, got to be ready for anything. I like to keep them at a distance, but close quarters a 12gauge might be the way to go. I think I can get more shots off quicker with an AR though. Either way, kill them fawkers.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a chitty situation any way you look at it. there's been a lot of theft around wab lately and i know cameras are going up asap at my place north of wab. I think if the thieves are unarmed just the distinct sound of a 12 gauge loading would do the trick, but you never know whats hiding under his coat or in his pocket. i think firing bear bangers at them would be fun though, least they wont hear chit for a while.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a chitty situation any way you look at it. there's been a lot of theft around wab lately and i know cameras are going up asap at my place north of wab. I think if the thieves are unarmed just the distinct sound of a 12 gauge loading would do the trick, but you never know whats hiding under his coat or in his pocket. i think firing bear bangers at them would be fun though, least they wont hear chit for a while.
Would the bearbangers Blow out your windows if fired inside your house.

Top Bottom