No charges laid regarding BIS

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The RCMP announced Thursday no charges will be laid in connection with the avalanche near Revelstoke that killed two people on March 13.

Albertans Shay Snortland and Kurtis Reynolds, both 33, died and dozens of others were injured after a wall of snow swept down Boulder Mountain, just outside of Revelstoke on that day,

Hundreds of people had gathered in the area for the Big Iron Shootout, a snowmobile drag racing event.

Police said the loosely-organized event was held in a flatter portion of the valley to avoid risky avalanche conditions and did not include high-marking, an activity where snowmobilers compete against each other to see who can ride the furthest up a steep slope.

Investigators said the avalanche happened after the Big Iron Shootout, when a crowd of people who had attended the earlier event went to an area called the Turbo Bowl.

Some people among the group at the Turbo Bowl began high marking, and not long after a large avalanche came down the slope and caught nearly 200 people in its path.

The RCMP said this afternoon said their investigation didn't turn up any evidence the high-marking event was affiliated with the Big Iron Shootout or sanctioned in any way by its organizer, Calgarian Dave Clark.

The RCMP said its investigators didn't submit a recommendation to Crown prosecutors asking for criminal charges. The police force said it reviewed the findings of the investigation with the Crown in B.C. and there is no evidence to support charges against any of the organizers or people involved

Read more: No charges in Revelstoke avalanche deaths

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read a small footnote on another e-news page. I guess the story if just not as newsworthy to be mentioned.

Did anyone see Ozone Dave with a CFCN reporter on last nights news?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not suprised....they couldn't get charges to stick if they wanted to.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just glad to see they didnt charge anyone, that wouldnt be a good thing for our sport in general!

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i saw this blurb on global calgary last night, they STILL make the point of saying it happend during the BIS--------fuggin media

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the RCMP ever wanted to lay charges to begin with. They were probably pressured to do the investigation. Of all the agencies involved with this (i.e. media, government, etc.) the RCMP is the one that has acted the most professional and least judgemental of all of them from the start, and have mostly if not totally (can't remember all their statements) reported factual information. I am starting to understand more why the RCMP can be tight lipped with the media when things happen, as from this event, anyone can see how the media either is incapable, or unwilling to report facts. Kudos to the Mounties!!!

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com
I don't believe the RCMP ever wanted to lay charges to begin with. They were probably pressured to do the investigation. Of all the agencies involved with this (i.e. media, government, etc.) the RCMP is the one that has acted the most professional and least judgemental of all of them from the start, and have mostly if not totally (can't remember all their statements) reported factual information. I am starting to understand more why the RCMP can be tight lipped with the media when things happen, as from this event, anyone can see how the media either is incapable, or unwilling to report facts. Kudos to the Mounties!!!

Don't forget that CAC also acted very professionally and did not fall into the BS media stuff

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
definitely, whrn the news cameras are around, anything said can and will be used to screw you.

Top Bottom