news bashing our sport... red deer advocate

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts but I would like to know how they came up with the $2000.00 amount I am a member but they don't know I'm a snowmobiler.:nono:
They don't ask what you do for sport on the apl.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Guy's an idiot. Everyday there are millions of uncontrolled riskes being taken, from basic eating and drinking, to commuting and many more. Snowmobiling isn't a sport, it's a way of life. And if I'm to die, I want to die doing something I enjoy. I don't think he understands, we are not a bunch of meat heads running rampid on hills trying to kill ourselfs and others. Most if not all are trained in Avalanche safety and carry all the needed equipment in case needed. I think Sammell needs to become more educated on our sport and what really goes on. There's deaths in just about every sport out there. Auto racing, Boat racing, Horse racing, even the olympics. Everything has their risks and those who share passion prepare to deal with those risks.
As harsh as this sounds, Death is a very natual thing, highly unavoidable, and a way to control population. Banning snowmobilers or back country users would create more fat whiners that sit at home thinking of ways to make everyone miserable. But thats just my thoughts.

- RXN

RXN, I'd bet just the opposite is true regarding training. My guess would be closer to 1 in 10 would have Avy training and of those, I'd guess 10% would use CAC reports to avoid Avalanche areas.

We're our own worst enemy I think.:rant:

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and like the reporter...your GUESSING.. if you want to state your opinion, base it with facts. dont make yourself to be like BOB . ( both of you )

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is a sledder?

Someone who has ridden snow machines in the mountains since 1965 & survived the hazards or someone who rides everywhere, "Balls to the wall", endangering themselves & companions by disregarding both official and other obvious warnings of avalanche hazards?

Both I guess, take your pick. There is room for everybody.

The odd thing that I see with some of the infighting we get in these threads is the response we get if anyone suggests that we, as a group, might be doing some of the things that our critics point out. Kinda like getting mad at the person that tells you that you've got a booger on your face instead of just wiping it off.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RXN, I'd bet just the opposite is true regarding training. My guess would be closer to 1 in 10 would have Avy training and of those, I'd guess 10% would use CAC reports to avoid Avalanche areas.

We're our own worst enemy I think.:rant:

I'm not too sure of exact numbers, But I'm trained, and every one I ride with is either trained or knows enough that I can trust they know what to do in case of an emergancy. But you are right there are guys who don't got the equipment or the training, but how many go to the mountains that don't?

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure of exact numbers, But I'm trained, and every one I ride with is either trained or knows enough that I can trust they know what to do in case of an emergancy. But you are right there are guys who don't got the equipment or the training, but how many go to the mountains that don't?

Judging from the casualtys last yr & this yr, way too many. Although, the group at the shootout this yr was a good exception.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure how you read the numbers, but for me it looks like all the sledders had training and avi equipment and those they rode with had the training to find them. also for the amount of sledders going into the back country, the numbers are very low, although one lost is to many. not sure were you are adding your numbers,

Last edited:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure how you read the numbers, but for me it looks like all the sledders had training and avi equipment and those they rode with had the training to find them. also for the amount of sledders going into the back country, the numbers are very low, although one lost is to many. not sure were you are adding your numbers, but maybe get some facts right instead of jumping on the band wagon with the naysayers.

On this, we agree ! Not sure what numbers you're referring to though.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its sad to say but Bob is doing his job , selling papers.Dodnt get me wrong im not sticking up for his point of view ! We sleders are just like a bunch of jack fish.He dropped down the hook and we will swallow it by sending peeed off e-mails. Just giveing him more fuel for his point of view! I would like for him to explain who real outdoors people are? Hes done his {sick} job,hes got us talking,later on arguing with people we dont even know.like MODMAN said its all about preception! How can we change OUR PRECEPTION to non sleders??? thats the big ? I hate to say it but its not going to get better in the near future.Big changes will have to happen what they are i dont know.

Well I'm still trying to comprehend what the ol windbag is stating. Maybe he could teach us how to tie a fly or what ever! We too are backcountry lovers & I guess if the ol windbag could apprec. the experience the backcountry that we as sledders see it may change the windbags perception on the sport we all love! Pack out what you pack in "Bob".

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'm still trying to comprehend what the ol windbag is stating. Maybe he could teach us how to tie a fly or what ever! We too are backcountry lovers & I guess if the ol windbag could apprec. the experience the backcountry that we as sledders see it may change the windbags perception on the sport we all love! Pack out what you pack in "Bob".

As Fat Daddy's better half i have read the article and shake my head in disbelief. I too am a hunter, fisherman, sledder and "recky" if that puts me into "windbag Bob's" category of acceptance. I must say that we have rode the mountains for nearly 20 yrs and have not had the unfortune of being in an avalanche. We do ride the back country and yes I am nervous of avy's but, we do ride as safe as possible. Now, my question to "windbag bob" is, have you ever felt your life at risk while out on the water fishing and a storm has rolled in or, seeing a huge pile of steaming bear chit while hunting your deer/moose/elk or fishing? Well, I have! So, let's put our love of the sports into perspective and take a good look at what we do and the "risks" we take. Shame on you Bob! :nono:

bengp1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive never even ridden the back country and i know this guy is full of crap that article made me down right mad i love nature as much as the next man how i choose to explore it is my choice if i decide to do it on my quad rather than walking so be it and i have hiked in the mountains as well both are enjoyable experiences its just mind boggling how someone could say things like that and still sleep at night

jaws

Reaction score
I am always annoyed when someone postures about how our sport of choice encroaches on the 'taxpayers' wallet as if snowmobilers are not taxpayers.Most if not all sledders also enjoy other outdor pastimes with family and friends on a regular basis it is not like we sled all year round and contribute nothing. There are far more 'taxpayer' funded programs that we have contributed millions to and as a taxpayer I will never use.I have yet to sit and bitch about the millions spent annually on art museums and tranfer payments made by the said taxpayer.This guy and many others should do as we do and mind his own business there are bigger fish to fry if that is how you choose to live.Grab a bag of granola and your walking stick and mosey back into your hole until the next time your pogey chq fails to show up and you need ten bucks for your shi$%Y excuse of an opinion

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on average, 89 Canadians lose their lives while fishing every year. Avalanches kill 11 sledders per year.

Maybe Bob would like to reconsider his opinions and focus on the real threat to Canadians - fishing.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is a sledder?

Someone who has ridden snow machines in the mountains since 1965 & survived the hazards or someone who rides everywhere, "Balls to the wall", endangering themselves & companions by disregarding both official and other obvious warnings of avalanche hazards?

Both I guess, take your pick. There is room for everybody.

The odd thing that I see with some of the infighting we get in these threads is the response we get if anyone suggests that we, as a group, might be doing some of the things that our critics point out. Kinda like getting mad at the person that tells you that you've got a booger on your face instead of just wiping it off.
ya know what im not into fightin internet style but was just truly lettin u know what im sure alotta people were thinkin wen readin ur posts....annoying, just sayin :d

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tryed to fax a copy to bob of the forum but his # isn't in service...

Scammell's writing has frequently been recognized in the annual awards competition of The Outdoor Writers of Canada. In 1983, his first book, The Outside Story, won the O.W.C. award as the outstanding outdoors book published that year in Canada. The book is now out of print, but Scammell says he still has a few copies that he sells, autographed, all mailing, postage and tax included, for $20.00 U.S. or $25.00 Canadian. Phone (403) 346-6264 or fax (403) 343-0609 or write to 68 Aikman Close, Red Deer, Alberta, T4R 1G2.
Attached Images

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tryed to fax a copy to bob of the forum but his # isn't in service...

Scammell's writing has frequently been recognized in the annual awards competition of The Outdoor Writers of Canada. In 1983, his first book, The Outside Story, won the O.W.C. award as the outstanding outdoors book published that year in Canada. The book is now out of print, but Scammell says he still has a few copies that he sells, autographed, all mailing, postage and tax included, for $20.00 U.S. or $25.00 Canadian. Phone (403) 346-6264 or fax (403) 343-0609 or write to 68 Aikman Close, Red Deer, Alberta, T4R 1G2.
Attached Images

Flaming bag of dog poo?

Top Bottom