"newer" half ton choices

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Look up auction prices, Dodge's will pull more money all day long, and are far more desirable then the other two, doesn't matter if it's a 93, or a 2017 they will get more money. Look at how well the Dodge 5500's are selling. Everyone is moving their fleets away from the ford 550's because they are garbage, and you can't give a used one away. I'm not being bias being a Dodge guy, it's simply the facts. Even if they require more repairs then the others (they don't), the Cummins by far makes up for that in it's reliability.

since when is a 5500 a half ton?....apple/oranges....

Resale prices of 3500 & 5500's likely don't reflect on the 1500 market

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
since when is a 5500 a half ton?....apple/oranges....

Resale prices of 3500 & 5500's likely don't reflect on the 1500 market

Well im driving a f150 now and have 350,000 and still trust it to go across Canada as I did 4 times this summer, but hands are under the hood 24/7 to keep it running. I would not go Ford again and had f350 and that was piece ****, I went f150 because way cheaper then dodge when I was shopping, dodge half of acc and still more, had a 99 5.9 desiel 600,000 km reg maintenance only then had 6.7 2012 210,000 in 2 and a bit yrs and perfect truck but a water pump, I'd go dodge as the Chevys are nice but holly ffffff to much $$$$$$$ good luck.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Look up auction prices, Dodge's will pull more money all day long, and are far more desirable then the other two, doesn't matter if it's a 93, or a 2017 they will get more money. Look at how well the Dodge 5500's are selling. Everyone is moving their fleets away from the ford 550's because they are garbage, and you can't give a used one away. I'm not being bias being a Dodge guy, it's simply the facts. Even if they require more repairs then the others (they don't), the Cummins by far makes up for that in it's reliability.
Boy I dunno about that, buddy of mine has a valve service truck, had a 08 f550 6.4 that was a pos

Got a new Dodge 550 service truck and said it's a gutless p.o.s, uses fuel like a mad man, has been in the shop more for engine ( def, trans, wiring issues) in 20000 km than the hole time with the Ford

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Newer f150's with the 5.0 liter are solid trucks. The 5.4 and ecoboost are what gives them a bad reputation.

Have heard good things about the 5.0 My bro in law, dad, and me all had 5.4's and they were all junk. Although you still here some ticking along with a ton of miles

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford - meh but has two good engine choices and have the most payload by a longshot if you need to haul anything in the box (like a deck and two sleds) holds used value better than same optioned Ram

Ram - cheap to buy hauls ok and gets good mileage with 5.7 and the 8 speed, depreciate hard, electrical gremlins

Chev - most expensive, 5.3 is a turd need to get 6.2 which means full load, holds value well, not a lot of payload capacity.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford - meh but has two good engine choices and have the most payload by a longshot if you need to haul anything in the box (like a deck and two sleds) holds used value better than same optioned Ram

Ram - cheap to buy hauls ok and gets good mileage with 5.7 and the 8 speed, depreciate hard, electrical gremlins

Chev - most expensive, 5.3 is a turd need to get 6.2 which means full load, holds value well, not a lot of payload capacity.

I'm screwed, maybe I should fix up a real truck from the '70's!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and a couple buddies were just talking about this. Trucks have gotten so expensive, who wants to spend that kind of cash on something that's a heavily depreciating asset? Personally I wish Dodge had built a crewcab in the 94-02 years I would just drive a car and keep one running forever.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My wife and I, were at the show and shine in Chestermere. And I was commenting on the mid 80's pick ups, how I loved that body style and they made a crew cab.
Me and a couple buddies were just talking about this. Trucks have gotten so expensive, who wants to spend that kind of cash on something that's a heavily depreciating asset? Personally I wish Dodge had built a crewcab in the 94-02 years I would just drive a car and keep one running forever.
Again....... lol. Jacky and I were looking at the brand new ones. She asked me what mine would take to get up to snuff? I figure about 20 grand and I have a bulletproof 05 F350 HD 6.0 That I still own since 07

So maybe there is something to be said, about 20-??? grand in your wheels and keep them for another 10+ or so years

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Again, read my post. I'll type this slowly so you can get it. Particularly the part in brackets. That's the part that says " other than certain years of the diesels". Since this is about half tons, diesel and 5500 comments are irrelevant. If you're a dodge guy, go for it. IMHO, the build quality in Fiat products just isn't there for me to think about buying one.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
"newer" half ton choices

tundra's are very thirsty trucks, even with every day driving. And even worse when you pull 2 sleds on a open trailer.
Had 2 of them for my work vehicle. Can't say anything bad about my 17 duramax

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: "newer" half ton choices

I'd be looking at a Studebaker 1/2 ton trucks.

It was the first of many options.

Good on gas, most come with cab heaters and electric window whispers.
Rubber floor mats and roll up and down side windows.

Most came in 2 wdr, but they were the first ever factory made truck to come with 4 wdr.

They came in God awful blue or left over green paint after the war,,, at least you can spot it amidst the mini vans and those sewing machine cars.

I'm sure you could get one fully restored for under $70G.

They hold their value if you select the right year and shops and gradges can't work or fix them.

All win win as it won't wear out so long as it becomes a flower bed in the front lawn.

It will put a smile on your face every time you look out the window of your house.

No one will steal it, your nabours will hate you, and it will take all other tasks your old lady had planned right out of the picture.

Studibaker all the way my friend.

A lot less grass to cut when all the oil leaks out onto the lawn.

Don

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly... Thats why i drive older trucks. Cheap to repair, and im not stuck making $500 a month payments and not scared to use it as a truck

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another good Truck option is a mini van with the roof cut off.

That way the Kows can stand up side by side in stead of trying too push them in laying down,,, less chances of not getting kicked in the lookers. Ha.

So many options and not enough time,,, I'm still using the Ox and Cart as my truck.

All hoof drive on a tank and a half, pretty slow up hill, but Hennery makes up for that on down hill runs.

Old school Ox and Cart brakes are the craps.

Old tool Don

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

tundra's are very thirsty trucks, even with every day driving. And even worse when you pull 2 sleds on a open trailer.

except that is your second duramax within a year... Can you say problematic first one? Lol

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

except that is your second duramax within a year... Can you say problematic first one? Lol

.........ouch!

Remember when that guy, Summitric was a mod?.........whatever happened to him?.............hmmmmmm............lol

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read my post. Particularly the part inside the brackets. Ram trucks are like everything Fiat builds. Tolerable for a few years and then the poor build quality starts catching up in the form of electrical problems squeaks, rattles etc. There's a reason Fiat products consistently get the poorest ratings for reliability,safety etc. You get what you pay for.
Totally disagree with you. I sold dodge for years and yes they have there issues just like the other brands do. To give you a example I currently drive a 1500 2011 with 118,000kms as of this post and have done nothing but basic maintance. I have seen every year and make come into the dealership with a wide variance of kms and all have cost money. Long story short man if you treat it right and be proactive with your maintance not reactive then you should have a vehicle regardless of make that will last you.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
118,000 km....well, that's hardly broke in! I would hope you've had no issues with those miles......
Come back and report when your more double that in kms.....then lets see what you've spent
I had to replace front brake pads on mine at 280,000 ish......absolutely nothing other than filters and fluids before that....GM, 1500, 6.2L
Currently at 383,000

Top Bottom