New XM at home sitting in the Garage

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Man there must have been a lot of these ordered.

Driving by Martin's west today, and saw 2 pickups drive out with all black rides on the back. I was drooling, not the best thing to be gawking at a sweet XM with these road conditions.. :cool:

I'm hoping I can gawk at mine this week..............

yammyman

Reaction score
If you want really good paint you can also go to Wholesale Hobby in Edmonton, or most hobby shops and buy it there! I prefer Tamiya. I use it on all my lexan and relative plastic RC car bodies and it holds up amazing considering I roll my cars, jump my cars and crash my cars on a regular basis. (Lots of times 15 or 20 somersaults in a row).

It's designed for large plastic surfaces... Ie: lexan or plastic wind shields (same material as the car bodies), in a huge variety of colors.

Some tips for using it (at normal room temp. In a very well ventilated area)

1- boil/ heat up some water, put can of paint in a small container and top up with water to heat up the paint (not hot, but lukewarm to warm)

2- slightly heat up the windshield with a blow dryer

3- remove paint can, shake thoroughly and exhaust the first bit of the can to ensure proper spray pattern

4- spray light coat and let dry for at least 10 minutes or longer

(Tamiya is very fast bonding paint, but only one coat at a time- the more coats the darker the colour.
You can even spray a very light coat of a lighter colour followed by the darker colour to give it a pearly look, especially in the sun. I don't recommend this if your going for the jet black, or limo tint black look but it works with lighter black ie: smoke)

5- for even better color results, but non- translucent colour finish with a couple coats of white to seal the colour in and you will have a very bold windshield.

Sounds like a lot of work but its actually really easy and looks amazing. Like a real paint job with the clear coat and all.

The trick is not to lay it on to thick, to let each coat dry for at least 10 minutes or so and to practise on another piece. I'd say 5 coats total, at most!

When your done with the can flip up side down and hold the button down until it won't spray anymore and the nozzle will be clean for your next use!

yammyman

Reaction score
If you want really good paint you can also go to Wholesale Hobby in Edmonton, or most hobby shops and buy it there! I prefer Tamiya. I use it on all my lexan and relative plastic RC car bodies and it holds up amazing considering I roll my cars, jump my cars and crash my cars on a regular basis. (Lots of times 15 or 20 somersaults in a row).

It's designed for large plastic surfaces... Ie: lexan or plastic wind shields (same material as the car bodies), in a huge variety of colors.

Some tips for using it (at normal room temp. In a very well ventilated area)

1- boil/ heat up some water, put can of paint in a small container and top up with water to heat up the paint (not hot, but lukewarm to warm)

2- slightly heat up the windshield with a blow dryer

3- remove paint can, shake thoroughly and exhaust the first bit of the can to ensure proper spray pattern

4- spray light coat and let dry for at least 10 minutes or longer

(Tamiya is very fast bonding paint, but only one coat at a time- the more coats the darker the colour.
You can even spray a very light coat of a lighter colour followed by the darker colour to give it a pearly look, especially in the sun. I don't recommend this if your going for the jet black, or limo tint black look but it works with lighter black ie: smoke)

5- for even better color results, but non- translucent colour finish with a couple coats of white to seal the colour in and you will have a very bold windshield.

Sounds like a lot of work but its actually really easy and looks amazing. Like a real paint job with the clear coat and all.

The trick is not to lay it on to thick, to let each coat dry for at least 10 minutes or so and to practise on another piece. I'd say 5 coats total, at most!

When your done with the can flip up side down and hold the button down until it won't spray anymore and the nozzle will be clean for your next use!

I Finally got my sled in! I'll post some pics when I do my wind shield!

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ride that pink XM in a heartbeat! Looks unreal. Don't let my wife see that. Where did that wrap kit come from??

YFZ 450

Reaction score
I would ride that pink XM in a heartbeat! Looks unreal. Don't let my wife see that. Where did that wrap kit come from??

The sled is my wife's and yep it looks pretty sweet.... but it's a XP ...still a great sled. The wrap came from SCS with a few changes.

yammyman

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357428644.397092.jpg

Finally a pic of the black winshield. Tamiya paint works awesome and it looks factory! 6 coats of smoke!

Top Bottom