New SPOT information

Crazed

Reaction score
Just picked up Spot 2 in Calgary through GPSCity.ca I picked it up for $149.99. They matched Basspro.ca. If you do not tell that you found it cheaper the cost is 169.99. They are also offering free shipping. Here are the promo codes to use.

Get free Fedex Ground shipping on orders over $200, to a maximum of $15.
Use coupon code FREEGROUND83H
Get free Fedex 2 Day shipping on orders over $300, to a maximum of $20.
Use coupon code FREE2DAY29T
Get free Fedex Next Day shipping on orders over $400, to a maximum of $25.
Use coupon code FREENEXTDAY37A

Lot cheaper to buy local then US

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I received a call from SPOT customer service tonight, I hadn't renewed my account info with my new CC number after the old one expired. they tried to charge the renewal fee and it wouldn't go through, I wanted to wait for the SPOT 2 before I re-upped.

the agent offered me $50 off to renew immediately, for the full meal deal. I told him I was going to wait for the new one, he said they were going to offer a $60 trade in program for your old SPOT at Best Buy and Cabela's off the SPOT 2 price.

he also mentioned the SPOT 2 would not be available for use until January, and that they were launching a 6th satellite required to work with the SPOT 2. can anyone that has got theirs confirm if this is true?

I checked my SPOT account after I renewed, they tried to charge my card the $157.95 that didn't go thru. new charge was $107.95

Last edited:

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I received a call from SPOT customer service tonight, I hadn't renewed my account info with my new CC number after the old one expired. they tried to charge the renewal fee and it wouldn't go through, I wanted to wait for the SPOT 2 before I re-upped.

the agent offered me $50 off to renew immediately, for the full meal deal. I told him I was going to wait for the new one, he said they were going to offer a $60 trade in program for your old SPOT at Best Buy and Cabela's off the SPOT 2 price.

he also mentioned the SPOT 2 would not be available for use until January, and that they were launching a 6th satellite required to work with the SPOT 2. can anyone that has got theirs confirm if this is true?

I checked my SPOT account after I renewed, they tried to charge my card the $157.95 that didn't go thru. new charge was $107.95

Had my new Spot2 on all day today and got home and it tracked me all day so it works now. Very accurate had me right on the leases i was working at.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spot comes with lithium ion batteries, which are unaffected by cold. in the manual it clearly states to only use lithium batteries for this very reason. alkaline batteries decrease output as they get colder and even though they may be brand new, they may not have enough power for spot's critical functions. lithium output stays linear until they die.

Not so sure about the lithium ion batteries not being sensitive to cold. Used my Spot 2 today for the first time. Brand new batteries. Temperature was about -15 c. Had it in my jacket pocket initially for first 10 minutes. When I took it out the on/off light was flashing red. Turned off then back on. Stayed flashing red. Mounted it on my handlebar pad for remainder of the day. Flashed red all day. Tried to send out 3 check in messages. None of them worked to any of my 10 designated recipients. Tracked okay. Sent coordinates to my account with lat/long. Not sure what's wrong? :confused: ANYONE?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not so sure about the lithium ion batteries not being sensitive to cold. Used my Spot 2 today for the first time. Brand new batteries. Temperature was about -15 c. Had it in my jacket pocket initially for first 10 minutes. When I took it out the on/off light was flashing red. Turned off then back on. Stayed flashing red. Mounted it on my handlebar pad for remainder of the day. Flashed red all day. Tried to send out 3 check in messages. None of them worked to any of my 10 designated recipients. Tracked okay. Sent coordinates to my account with lat/long. Not sure what's wrong? :confused: ANYONE?

There are two conditions here: first of all, if the Okay indicator blinks red every second immedialtely after On/off button is pushed the unit self-test failed (contact manufacturer); the second senario, if other than the first, the On/off blinks red every second there are low batteries and it starts to blink with approximately 30% remaining in the battery life.

I assume from your description above that you have low batteries. Now was that from the cold or just a fluke that new batteries were low from the get-go?

Just for information, my SPOT 1 is at the end of the first year and it was -15C yesterday. I carry it on the outside of my pack. 6 hours of being on and 3 Okay messages sent, I had no Red light. Hope I get some info on upgrading soon....:xmas2004_15:

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are two conditions here: first of all, if the Okay indicator blinks red every second immedialtely after On/off button is pushed the unit self-test failed (contact manufacturer); the second senario, if other than the first, the On/off blinks red every second there are low batteries and it starts to blink with approximately 30% remaining in the battery life.

I assume from your description above that you have low batteries. Now was that from the cold or just a fluke that new batteries were low from the get-go?

Just for information, my SPOT 1 is at the end of the first year and it was -15C yesterday. I carry it on the outside of my pack. 6 hours of being on and 3 Okay messages sent, I had no Red light. Hope I get some info on upgrading soon....:xmas2004_15:

Thanks FernieSnow.
It was blinking red every 3 seconds. Hopefully it's just the batteries. I'm going to put some new batts in today and test again.:beer:

Top Bottom