new sled weights are a joke..

• Thread starter motorsportaddiction
  • Start date
M

motorsportaddiction

There needs to be a rule that when they give the new sled weights al you should have to do is add fuel and you can ride. Ski-doo's new dry weight is given with even the shocks drained of all there oil. I have also heard of some other manufactures doing this before. I know it has been suggested before that they do something about this but when will it be made right. Its like false advertising I think.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree totally, also What I don't like is they shave off so much weight then after you buy it you have then buy tunnel stiffeners,rail stiffeners which to me is a form of false advertising. It's like saying here's a brand new GMC truck full load for the low price of $25000, but then the box is extra and the moto r is extra and the bumpers are extra. I was kind of disapointed in my 2006 summit X 159 that I had to put on belly pan ,A arm protectors, plus all the stiffeners. All said and done about $400 beans and I'm guessing 10-15 LBS. Plus the labour to put on. I'd rather buy a sled that advertized 25 Lbs heavier and be strong enough to take what we all are dishing out. At this rate these sleds wont come with hoods or side covers just to save a few advertised LBS. What's next???????

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You forgot bulkhead stiffners for their P.O.S. front ends, light is nice but PLEASE how about some durability!!! I will NOT buy another rev until unless time proves the new one stronger at 30# lighter???? Like I said before NOBODY in our group that is aggressive has not twisted their front end!!:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

M

motorsportaddiction

I agree, I love the rev chassis but I have seen to many with damage that should not have happened. All they are a pepsi can with a few riveits.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I missed bulkhead stiffners because I have not heard of them. Sounds like I need one, I have one of everything else. Are they a Skidoo issue or aftermarket part. Where do you get them Thanks in advance.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Specialty Sleds in Edmonton for the left hand side....sorry but there is nothing to save the right hand side and they buckle just as easy but at least your clutchs stay alligned. There is a racer only kit if you know the right people or you can fab your own plates from 1/8 plate aluminum. Making my own plates this summer. A great climber and handles second to none but it crumples like a beer can.:(

ski-doo

Reaction score
i was told at the sportsman show when talking to the guy about the 2008 800 154" that he had 2/3 oil in it full coolant half a tank of gas and he weighed it in at 441lbs. iam finding that a little hard to believe

M

motorsportaddiction

Wow thats really amazing. He must have a really special one. I have figuring and the weight gas is roughly 1.58lbs per liter he has 20 liters in his tank, giving him 31lbs of gas. Also he has 2/3 oil at aproxx 4lbs of oil and coolant is heavier than gas so on the light side of the coolant figure he has 13lbs of coolant and that is on the light side. This gives him 85lbs of the fluids and by taking his 441lbs less the 85lbs .....:eek: Bam :eek: he has a dry weight of 356lbs that is frikin amazing because brp's dry weight with no oil in the shocks was 429 lbs for that sled. Either this guy is really trying to sell something or he has a real special one. If this is the case though I will take 4 please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Double D

Reaction score
wow i want that amazing one does that one come with a motor and track or is that a option?

ski-doo

Reaction score
lol yeah guy from martin is telling me this at the sportsman show. its a load of crap if you ask me

doo800

Reaction score
I have seen the weight of this sled (08 rev) with my own eyes, full of fuel ready to ride. 514LBS I was out at Revy and rode the sled IT ROCKS!!!!! It will consistantly out run the xrs800 not knocking the xrs down. They are all great sleds. I have a buddy that had a RX1 turboed sled and hit a rock softly and exploded the bulkhead. You want A LIGHT SLED thats wat happens.

turborx123

Reaction score
ya doo800 do you know what consists of a bulkhead on an RX 1 well if you don't know it'a 2 peice and you can replace it with little work and not like your pespi can that you own when you bend yours you got a lot of time with a rubber hammer fixing so before running you mouth you should compair apples to apples

doo800

Reaction score
I wasn't knocking down the turboed rx1's or apexes. They are great sleds only when you spend $25000 to $40000, thats the only way they work good. I don't have $40000 to spend on them other wise. But you're right they are 2 piece bulkhead and tunnel. They are awsome sleds point and shoot sleds. I have been in the hills many times and only seen 1 stock apex on the hill otherwise they are heavy with no more hp than my 800 which I only paid 13400 for

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Putting Your Sled On A Diet

:confused: I know the new sleds are very tempting to go out and purchase, with reduced weight and more power but fear and common sense are holding me back. Fear (the wife) and commmon sense (lack of funds at the moment, something about spending money on house renos instead of fun things!!!) Anyways looking for ideas on reducing weight on my sled (03 summit 600 zx chassis 144" track) that are not that expensive, hopefully this will give me a lighter sled to ride for a couple of years untill those damn house renos are completed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Happy Sledden:cool:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Tell Us About The Sled First

Is the sled stock, or canned, or what??? a "quiet" exhaust can will save at least 20 lbs and most cases add a few hp. Submit a pic if you can........ I'm sure everyone will give you an opinion(but only mine is right -- oops, thought that out loud):)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I found a great way to reduce the weight on my 01 RMK.
With the motor sitting on the floor of the garage it is super light now. All I need to do is find a way to convince Catmando to tow me around in the mountains. With the reduced weight I'll be able to carry a nice selection of Bunjie's.
Seriously now...look at a light weight seat. They are often sold used for a reasonable price.

Is the sled stock, or canned, or what??? a "quiet" exhaust can will save at least 20 lbs and most cases add a few hp. Submit a pic if you can........ I'm sure everyone will give you an opinion(but only mine is right -- oops, thought that out loud):)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Wouldn't you spend more time getting the catman unstuck that riding around.... I mean if your wanting to do that, I've still got my GT sno-racer, its even lighter, seats not very comfortable though

I found a great way to reduce the weight on my 01 RMK.
With the motor sitting on the floor of the garage it is super light now. All I need to do is find a way to convince Catmando to tow me around in the mountains. With the reduced weight I'll be able to carry a nice selection of Bunjie's.
Seriously now...look at a light weight seat. They are often sold used for a reasonable price.

M

motorsportaddiction

We have light weight hoods that will save you 25lbs. That amount of weight loss is a noticeable differece. We carry other things to shed some weight as well and I can set you up with some stuff that will improve your ride.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled History

:thumbsup2: Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry but I forgot to mention the sled has a MBRP can which was a reduction of about 9 LBs but still looking to reduce a few more pounds. Also put on the pilot skis a year ago and a 3" riser last fall. I am having trouble uploading a picture, seems to be to big of a file I will try and find a picture that is not a kb hog and post it. Again thanks!!

Happy Sledden:cool:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, Our Guys Are Right Again

Since you've already done the exhaust can, a lightweight hood and then a seat would be the best ways to go...... They would make it look good too and paint/decal if you wish. Probably up to 50 lbs between those two changes(save the old stuff for resale purposes(put back to stock). Get those pics on here. You could always contact rknight111 on this site for guidance/help on downloading. :)

Top Bottom