New Short block install questions

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, well after some time, i've decided to finally throw down the money and install a new short block in the 2003 summit 800HO that Teth-air sold me. After figuring out how to pull the magneto, and inspecting the stator, i found a broken wire on it, and decided to replace that too. After installing it this morning, i looked at the trigger coils next and realized there is no threaded holes to install the trigger coils to. I called Martin, only to be told to call back on Monday, because there was no techs in today.

any ideas????

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well after a call to the southside, it seems they are self tapping screws. More questions to follow i'm sure.

Well here's one. Whats the best way to break this engine in? I've heard to just pin it from the get go, and ride it like your going to ride it. Then the operators manual says to take it easy for the first 10 hours or 500kms.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thought are to add a bit of mineral oil to fuel for the first couple tanks - helps break in the rings - then drive her like you stole her ! lol

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would recomend once together and running before a ride you should let idle up to temp shut off till cool and redo again and after this should be good to go for a good rip and the extra oil in the gas is a good thing also try not to hold the throtle in one position to long keep burping it for the first half tank or so good luck

jlieske1

Reaction score
would recomend once together and running before a ride you should let idle up to temp shut off till cool and redo again and after this should be good to go for a good rip and the extra oil in the gas is a good thing also try not to hold the throtle in one position to long keep burping it for the first half tank or so good luck

What he said except I was told to bring it up to temp three times then ride it like a rental! Lol. Just did a short block in my 04 and it's running good.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait till you try to install the reeds. No threads either. Need to tap those ones they are to soft to be self tapping.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's another question... called name that hose.

I have 4 barbs on the backside of the engine, on my old engine 2 are capped. There is a straight one and bent one left. After looking on the parts diagram and in the manual, it seems the oil breather goes on the straight one, and the fuel pump impulse goes on the bent one. After looking at the engine and where the lines are, the fuel pump impulse line will not reach the bent one. so i have to only think that it defaults to the straight one. Am i correct?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's another question... called name that hose.

I have 4 barbs on the backside of the engine, on my old engine 2 are capped. There is a straight one and bent one left. After looking on the parts diagram and in the manual, it seems the oil breather goes on the straight one, and the fuel pump impulse goes on the bent one. After looking at the engine and where the lines are, the fuel pump impulse line will not reach the bent one. so i have to only think that it defaults to the straight one. Am i correct?

fuel pump is always on the straight one. the other hose your refering too isnt actually a breather. its an overflow that when you fill up your oil tank and leanthe sled side to side it sends oil down that line to lube the waterpump gears. and it should be located directly in the center of the motor. is that how it looks?

Last edited:

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed. Right in the center of the motor. I ended up googling the same question and got the same answer. Put the fuel line on and messed around with the exhaust manifold without any luck. All the bolts went in no problems, but the exhaust manifold doesn't seem to want to line up with a couple bolts in. Wings were tempting, so the sled sits for another night.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed. Right in the center of the motor. I ended up googling the same question and got the same answer. Put the fuel line on and messed around with the exhaust manifold without any luck. All the bolts went in no problems, but the exhaust manifold doesn't seem to want to line up with a couple bolts in. Wings were tempting, so the sled sits for another night.

easiest way is to thread 2 on to hold it in place then thread the rest in a bit so they are all holding. then tighten them all down. or you can drill the holes out a tiny bit aswell. typically when i build these motors from scratch i use the exhaust manifold to line up the cylinders because otherwise they will be stressing the cyls anyways. but since its already built you will have to make it work. just like anything it wont be exactly perfect so adjust as necessary

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, well got the engine all back together, a little bit of messing around with the exhaust manifold, but got it on. A few pulls later and she started up. Didn't want to idle too well at first, and kept beeping at me. Changed Dess cords back and forth a few times, and it seemed to warm up. Couldn't get a coat hanger on the oil pump leaver, so just pulled on the cable and it seemed to work. But kept beeping at me, until a revved it up a little bit.

Since i replaced the stator, does the computer need to be reflashed?

After a few more minutes of idling, the engine seemed to shut its self down, but would fire back up straight away. Usually would shut down when i didn't hold the oil pump open. Any chance that since i forgot to bleed the oil pump that its lacking oil? I did pre-mix the tank 50:1

Where is the oil pressure sensor? Gonna pull the airbox and carbs tomorrow and double check the main oil line to make sure its bled.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have 50:1 pre mix, you can safely ride. Fill the oil bottle and check it after an hour or two. If it isn't going down, you have a problem.

no point in fixing something until you know it is broken.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, well got the engine all back together, a little bit of messing around with the exhaust manifold, but got it on. A few pulls later and she started up. Didn't want to idle too well at first, and kept beeping at me. Changed Dess cords back and forth a few times, and it seemed to warm up. Couldn't get a coat hanger on the oil pump leaver, so just pulled on the cable and it seemed to work. But kept beeping at me, until a revved it up a little bit.

Since i replaced the stator, does the computer need to be reflashed?

After a few more minutes of idling, the engine seemed to shut its self down, but would fire back up straight away. Usually would shut down when i didn't hold the oil pump open. Any chance that since i forgot to bleed the oil pump that its lacking oil? I did pre-mix the tank 50:1

Where is the oil pressure sensor? Gonna pull the airbox and carbs tomorrow and double check the main oil line to make sure its bled.

there is no oil pressure sensor. and with 50-1 your good to ride even if the injection system wasnt working.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, so went outside this morning and bled the oil pump, came dripping out there slowly, but not a steady stream. Didn't see any air in the main line, so figured good to go.

Pulled out the spark plugs and checked them, slightly oily and wet. cleaned them off and put them back in.

Readjusted the throttle cable and idle, seemed to be ok.

Started the sled up, it ran good for about 5 minutes. Turned down the idle to run it at about 1500rpm with the choke off.

Then the sled shut its self down and would still turn over and fire up for a second then beep once at me and turn off. Pulled it over a few more times, same thing.

Pulled out the spark plugs again and cleaned and checked them. Still the same thing.

Is there something that will shut the sled down if it doesn't like something going on inside? Any ideas at all? Gonna go out later and start checking the basics.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
water temp sensor maybe? make sure your cooling system is purged of air....is there any kind of indicator on the dash when it starts beeping?

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't run it up with the rad cap off when i started it up. I went out there this evening and changed the spark plugs to the new ones i had. Also did a compression test and came up with 80 and 100 on the pto and mag side.

The sled did the same thing, turned over and would fire up for a second. As far as i can see, the oil light, water temp light and the dess light came on.

I'm starting to think something is clogged in the carbs, or something to do with the DPM. But why would it run for 5-10 minutes yesterday and today, then randomly shut down.

Top Bottom