New option instead of SPOT

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently found this newer communicator that seems like it might give SPOT a challenge for market share.

So far its compatible with Delormes PN60 series GPS and Andriod phones. Doesn't mentioned iphone or BB.

The biggest pro to it is the 2-way communication, being able to not only send custom messages but recieve as well. I see them listed in Calgary at the GPS shops for pre-order.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks pretty cool. plans look a little pricey, but still cheaper than a sat phone.

Service Plans - inReach Canada

Yeah I also figured the plans were a little pricey. One thing I consider though, if I had a fully loaded SPOT plan with messaging and tracking, I would be paying a simular amount to these plans.

The annual plan fee that is under $13 a month on this Delorme unit is all I would really need as the few messages I would send and a few tracks here and there still wouldn't equal the higher priced plan, or equal the Spot plan with the same features. With the higher priced plans you can drop down to the low plan for summer months for example for a $30 change fee.

I still am going to check out the Delorme Earthmate GPS with SPOT though as I need a new GPS as well.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like teeroy said, uses bluetooth to connect, then can change your "android" phone into a satelite messaging system.

Spots system works with iphone in a simular fasion.

So Delorme for Android phones and SPOT for iphones if people have a certain smart phone.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if I understand this right, I would have to pack my phone, this new device and a beacon plus whatever else i bring?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if I understand this right, I would have to pack my phone, this new device and a beacon plus whatever else i bring?

You don't have to do anything.

In the mountains, cell phone coverage is hit and miss, also depends on your carrier. Most places we ride there is zero coverage.

Many people started carrying the SPOT. Its functionality is limited though and they introduced a Spot reciever for iphones. This now allowed your cell phone to send text messages from anywhere. Beats having a Sat Phone as the initial cost of the Sat phone is usually high and they are bulky.

Delorme had a Spot reciever for thier GPS unit that also allowed texting.

The Delorme unit does this now for android phones. Many people have GPS maps on their Smart phones. I have a great backcountry GPS map pack for mine but don't carry my phone with me. Just a standalone GPS. Now I could have my phone with me, that takes amazing pics and vids for a phone, use it as a gps and have Sat coverage for sending text messages.

If you look at the size of the device, its very small. Its not for everyone obviously, but as I orginally stated, an option for Spot users, or people looking at the Spot.

For people who already carry a few gizmo's they now have a new way of communicating.

A beacon in the mountains shouldn't even be optional, but glad you mentioned it. Always take percausions with the proximity of electronics around becons. They could possibly interfear with the signal.

dycker

Reaction score
I will definately look into one of these. The idea of 1 way communication doesn't sit well with me. We had an emergency a few years ago and due to weather and time of day S&R didn't come until the following day. If you made the call with a SPOT, you would be left wondering whether or not your distress call was received. Our crew doesn't go out without a Sat phone for this very reason. I will look into one of these though, I like the idea of being able to receive messages.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything.

In the mountains, cell phone coverage is hit and miss, also depends on your carrier. Most places we ride there is zero coverage.

Many people started carrying the SPOT. Its functionality is limited though and they introduced a Spot reciever for iphones. This now allowed your cell phone to send text messages from anywhere. Beats having a Sat Phone as the initial cost of the Sat phone is usually high and they are bulky.

Delorme had a Spot reciever for thier GPS unit that also allowed texting.

The Delorme unit does this now for android phones. Many people have GPS maps on their Smart phones. I have a great backcountry GPS map pack for mine but don't carry my phone with me. Just a standalone GPS. Now I could have my phone with me, that takes amazing pics and vids for a phone, use it as a gps and have Sat coverage for sending text messages.

If you look at the size of the device, its very small. Its not for everyone obviously, but as I orginally stated, an option for Spot users, or people looking at the Spot.

For people who already carry a few gizmo's they now have a new way of communicating.

A beacon in the mountains shouldn't even be optional, but glad you mentioned it. Always take percausions with the proximity of electronics around becons. They could possibly interfear with the signal.

Im not very tech savy thats why I had asked and thanks for the info. Where did you find the app? It definatly sounds like its worth the look see.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Tried out our Inreach today, we were in location that is typically hit or miss for SPOT tracking. Texted out and the person on the receiving end had our message in about 2 minutes. Nice part was getting a text back from them that they had received the message. Should also add, we where on the North side of a mountain range and there was heavy cloud cover and snowfall.

alberta73

Reaction score
be aware of the significant differences betwen texting and calling. As far as I know you cant text 911 and unless you have the chopper pilots cell their numbers are phone numbers usually not cells. You would need to text someone on their cell who would then need to call and relay info etc. Not saying it's bad, like the idea, but with a sat phone IF you took the time to have a bunch of direct emerg numbers with you it would be fast. For a cheap easy way of staying in touch with family and other group members I like it. Im looking at a sat phone presently

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be aware of the significant differences betwen texting and calling. As far as I know you cant text 911 and unless you have the chopper pilots cell their numbers are phone numbers usually not cells. You would need to text someone on their cell who would then need to call and relay info etc. Not saying it's bad, like the idea, but with a sat phone IF you took the time to have a bunch of direct emerg numbers with you it would be fast. For a cheap easy way of staying in touch with family and other group members I like it. Im looking at a sat phone presently

The emergency system is changing to accept texts in the futre. Many countries have already changed.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Inreach has a 911 button with the signal going to a call center the same as SPOT from my understanding. Hopefully we never need to use this function.
It is not a sat. phone, but it is a big step over the SPOT
As a side note; If you send a text to someone it also supplies the coord's where the message was sent from.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have a sat phone and had it with me in vale and there were a few places that I did not have connection, so beware.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bringing this up as Campers Village/Inreach have a promo....

Anyone else using these .... how easy are they to use?
I see they now work with iphones.

Attachments

• InReach.JPG
    InReach.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 261

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am no expert for sure, but I can't help but wonder, exactly what happens when you hit the 911 button. Ok, the call goes to GEOS wherever that is, and tracking is enabled,.....then what?? Big differences between what maybe could happen in Yellowstone park, and say Valemount back country. I hate to start rumors but I have heard that the 911 button on the SPOT doesn't send the troops in either. Both systems likely require some detailed pre-use set-up, and I suspect that your 911 had better go from GEOS to a friend or relative who would initiate S&R, or you could be waiting for something that is advertised, but is never gonna happen.

Top Bottom