New option instead of SPOT

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am no expert for sure, but I can't help but wonder, exactly what happens when you hit the 911 button. Ok, the call goes to GEOS wherever that is, and tracking is enabled,.....then what?? Big differences between what maybe could happen in Yellowstone park, and say Valemount back country. I hate to start rumors but I have heard that the 911 button on the SPOT doesn't send the troops in either. Both systems likely require some detailed pre-use set-up, and I suspect that your 911 had better go from GEOS to a friend or relative who would initiate S&R, or you could be waiting for something that is advertised, but is never gonna happen.

Atleast with this unit it appears that you could text out and recieve an answer back, so you know what is if anything is coming....

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Atleast with this unit it appears that you could text out and recieve an answer back, so you know what is if anything is coming....

True, so long as you have a smartphone paired with it, charged and with you, cause there isn't any keys or screen on the unit itself. Don't get me wrong, I like the unit and the extra safety that comes with being able to communicate from anywhere!! I just have a feeling that many people will assume that once you buy this and throw it in your pak, that when you hit the distress button that the marines are coming and, I don't believe that to be the case, for this unit, or for the SPOT.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was googling InReach ....and up poped the name Briatek and a patent law suit.....reading some of the material, it apperars to be a patent infringment much like apple's recent problems, so they just need to belly up and pay Briatek for using thier platform, hopefully it dosent effect the product distruibtion and or cost...

Re the 911 button on the spot and the SOS button on InReach, I know someone that has used the 911 button on his spot, re a broken leg, the calvery was there within 2 hours of pressing the button, they were out of bounds skiing in the lake Lousie area....I was also told that SRS arnt real fans of the one way call for help because they have no idea of what there heading into or why.

For me I'm still in reasearch mode, would like to see a live demo or talk to someone that has one....

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can send text messages to land lines they are read out by a computer voice

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Further snooping around and I find that InReach uses thesame G.E.O.S. “ I.E.R.C.C” that spot uses...

GEOS – Global Emergency Monitoring & dispatch service
IERCC – International Emergency Response CoordinationCentre

Located in Houston, Texas

Seems Spot also has a similar device now, called SpotConnect.....

http://www.inreachcanada.com/inreach-vs-spot/

Some interesting differences:

Characters in free form messaging…………Inreach 140, Spot 41
Cost………. InReach 270.000 Spot Connect 170.00
Service Plans…..spot 99.99 annual, InReach (kind of lick aphone plan lots of choices, 14.95 to 50.00 per month but you can de-activate itdown to 3.95 per month.
Satellite network….Spot - Gobalstar (has 40 Satellites), In Reach – Iridum (has 66 satelites)

Still like that InReach will respond to your SOS via text to let you know it was recieved and updates to SAR info, clearly more money but more function and service....

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If SRS are not happy with one way calls... don't imagine they'll be real happy with trying to text back and forth. They may have to recruit some fairly young people to decipher the lingo.
SAT phone would be good but I'd bet most people with GPS units wouldnt know how to find their gps coordinates anyway.
Adding to the problem are people that are using these one-way units like a valet service. The Use And Misuse Of The SPOT Satellite Messenger

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up some info on this unit this afternoon. Looks good. It's on my Christmas wish list!

scottyd

Reaction score
I am no expert for sure, but I can't help but wonder, exactly what happens when you hit the 911 button. Ok, the call goes to GEOS wherever that is, and tracking is enabled,.....then what?? Big differences between what maybe could happen in Yellowstone park, and say Valemount back country. I hate to start rumors but I have heard that the 911 button on the SPOT doesn't send the troops in either. Both systems likely require some detailed pre-use set-up, and I suspect that your 911 had better go from GEOS to a friend or relative who would initiate S&R, or you could be waiting for something that is advertised, but is never gonna happen.

what experience do you have that that would suggest that GEOS wouldn't know how to contact local SRS in Canada? My understanding is that Canadian SRS always has to be iniciated by the RCMP. Friends or family have to call RCMP first anyways.
I really like the idea of two way comunication.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just received some cool rebate info through the ASA for the plans on the inreach, the more I look at this unit the more I like it.

and you are right scottyd, we hit the 911 button in clemina some years back, they used the coordinates received at the GEOS center in texas and called the closest RCMP detachment. they first called the family member listed as the contact on the account to ensure the spot owner was indeed in the area the "SOS" originated from. chopper was on the ground at the clemina cabin 2 hrs after the button was pressed. would have been sooner, but we felt the place we were at where buddy was injured was not safe to sit and we moved him to the cabin. when they saw the signal moving, they held off on sending SR crew. once the signal was static again they sent them.

with the inreach you would be able to communicate a lot more info that would make rescue a lot simpler, as well as receive confirmation that someone is coming.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell us more about the rebate info.......money in my pocket is always a good thing
I found a couple rebates, one is free activation ($30 value) and one free month service (up to $49.95) via mail in rebate. the other through the ASA is 15% off service contract for the life of the unit. I checked to see if the 2 rebates and be used together and was told they cannot, so I am going for the 15% off deal. both deals run until June 2013.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just used mine the other day, pretty neat and is nice to know im always going to be able to contact someone. Here's a screen shot of the first ride with 10 min auto intervals on tracking.

Screenshot (2).jpg

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the form for the "one is free activation ($30 value) and one free month service (up to $49.95) via mail in rebate" Satellite Communicator - 2-Way Messaging & SOS - inReach Canada So where can I fine the form or details for the 15% deal....????
I have it as a PDF, you must send proof of ASA membership. if you pm me your email addy I can forward it to you to print off the mail in rebate form. If you are a member of an ASA club, your executive should have received the same email.

Top Bottom