New half ton

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting rid of the 2018 f-150 and getting something new. Hear the good and the bad of all the brands out there. Not brand loyal at all but would like to stay away from turbos and must have a 6.5' box. Anyone on here driving a newer truck that can comment on how they like them? My 5.0 has been ok but uses oil from brand new so not sure if I could do another one unless the new ones don't have that issue anymore.

Levithan

Reaction score
There is a tsb out there for the 5.0l for a reprogram and a different dipstick, just did one yesterday.
Keep your 18, good truck, not a huge fan of the 5.0l more of an ecoboost kinda guy but still a decent engine.
Not sure why you would want to shy away from turbo's, they are dead reliable and have a way better powerband than the 5.0l.
My 2019 f150 3.5l 6.5ft box lariat tows anything i want and hauls ass.
Have had no engine issues in 44k, don't see to many with any engine issues at all really, phasers in the 11-20 models are possible but nothing that is detrimental to the engine.
We don't ever replace turbos really unless they have not been maintained.
Anyhow back to your question.
I'm a diehard ford guy and would not recommend you buy anything new in these covid times.
Vehicles are being made with inferior parts due to shortages and electrical gremlins are happening across the board no matter the manufacture.
Chev has not come out with anything impressive in years and there interiors are dated.
Dodge is made with cheap parts and is what a guy who wants a loaded ford buys because he can't afford the ford.(worked for dodge as a tech for over 10yrs,they really are junk).

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a tsb out there for the 5.0l for a reprogram and a different dipstick, just did one yesterday.
Keep your 18, good truck, not a huge fan of the 5.0l more of an ecoboost kinda guy but still a decent engine.
Not sure why you would want to shy away from turbo's, they are dead reliable and have a way better powerband than the 5.0l.
My 2019 f150 3.5l 6.5ft box lariat tows anything i want and hauls ass.
Have had no engine issues in 44k, don't see to many with any engine issues at all really, phasers in the 11-20 models are possible but nothing that is detrimental to the engine.
We don't ever replace turbos really unless they have not been maintained.
Anyhow back to your question.
I'm a diehard ford guy and would not recommend you buy anything new in these covid times.
Vehicles are being made with inferior parts due to shortages and electrical gremlins are happening across the board no matter the manufacture.
Chev has not come out with anything impressive in years and there interiors are dated.
Dodge is made with cheap parts and is what a guy who wants a loaded ford buys because he can't afford the ford.(worked for dodge as a tech for over 10yrs,they really are junk).
Good to see you’re not bias on brands there…..

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a peek at the Tundra's. MY 08 was rock solid as well as my 18. I bought a used tailgate for the winter sledding season and spring firewood season. That way the tailgate that came with the truck stays new and doesn't get beat up. As you can tell I am a Toyota guy

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you said you don’t want turbos but I would recommend new f-150 or new tundra. I have a 21 powerboost and am very happy so far. I wanted the 7.2KW generator that’s built in. Drove a 2012 eco boost for 8 years and it was very reliable. My 2020 duramax can’t say the same lol. I prefer the feel of the ford over the gm half tons and I drove one for work that being said I test drove the 3.0 duramax and was tempted but couldn’t buy another gmc and have it spend half its life at the dealer. Go test driving and buy what you like, it’s possible to get a lemon from anyone. As mentioned above the old 5.7 tundra is pretty bullet proof if u can find a new 21 around.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My EcoBoost has almost 190k km on it and it's been dead reliable. If I was buying a 1/2T right now it would be a Ford or the new Toyota.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chevy or gmc are good, dodge is good.

Id stay away from fords

Last edited:

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been a tech for 40 years I have found the tundra to be the best overall for quality if you want to keep it after the warranty is up. Not sure about the new ones with the turbos time will tell.

WinchBreaker

Reaction score
I would suggest a Toyota Tundra as well. I have a 2007 Tundra. It is by far and away the best truck I have ever owned. (I have owned all brands in all sizes and gas and diesels.) It has 245000 kms on it and the engine and powertrain are still as good as the day I bought it. It has towed my quads and enclosed trailer up and down the forestry trunk to all the awesome quadding locations and has never let me down. It is likely a little harder on fuel than the other brands but you can buy a lot of fuel with what you will spend on repairs of the other brands. Nothing has ever gone wrong with my truck.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I drove a Duramax for 17yrs (and loved that truck)
When I decided to change I did a lot of research. All brands are good. It came down to wanting fuel savings and the power to tow the odd time I need to.
My research landed me in a brand new 2020 3.5 Turbo F-150 Lariat. I’ve had the truck for just over a year and have close to 30,000km on it. It’s a great truck and I’m really happy with it.
I also drive Summitric’s Dodge 1/2 ton and it’s really nice as well.
Personal preference, brand loyalty, features etc are all important.
For me I’m happy with my first ford truck.

Levithan

Reaction score
LOL, no there the only ones that buy dodge's, guess you don't know what inbred means!
Ah, i struck a nerve with the dodge guy, don't get the fallopian tubes on your hood in a knot

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems strange to me what I see when I drive past the car lots. Every Ford, chevy and Toyota lots are almost empty( if not empty) of new trucks. But every Dodge lot that I drive by has lots of new trucks sitting waiting to be sold. Not sure why and in no way trying to piss in anyone corn flakes. The fernie and Cranbrook dealers are loaded with them. Just what I notice

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems strange to me what I see when I drive past the car lots. Every Ford, chevy and Toyota lots are almost empty( if not empty) of new trucks. But every Dodge lot that I drive by has lots of new trucks sitting waiting to be sold. Not sure why and in no way trying to piss in anyone corn flakes. The fernie and Cranbrook dealers are loaded with them. Just what I notice
From what I was told here in Whitecourt most Dodge trucks sitting on lot are unsellable till chips are installed.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya dodge has lots of inventory. They also sell lots of trucks.

Toyota Hardly have any truck on the road.

Top Bottom