Need some opinions on a 02 3/4 7.3 xlt

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking a 7.3, its got 450k, the fellow says it is his old work truck. And being ex fleet (he's a driller) he always made sure maintenance was done. He just did new front hubs, and new sway bar links.

Here's what it needs according to him:

"-Needs a windshield

-Needs an exhaust gasket on the drivers side
-Glow plugs need to be done, starts fine if it's above 0 but if it's freezing it needs to be plugged in
- I notice some times it unprimes if it's been sitting for a month. Takes a few tries before it starts. If it's driven regularly it has no issues.

Other than that everything works on the truck. The bed has a bit of rust around the wheel wells and the rear bumper is bent a bit... interior is in great shape no rips in the seats. "

From my understanding the ol 7.3 psd is the bees knees, but with 450k I am more concerned about the rest of the truck.

What are your guys' thoughts? As far as price wise I believe he values it at 4500.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never buy an old patch truck, especially one like that.

And after owning an older diesel myself I will never buy one again, when I picture needing new glow plugs and a new exhaust manifold gasket all I see is busted knuckles.

The old 7.3 were good motors but the whole truck is getting up there in age, coolant hoses will start cracking and leaking, almost every bolt in the truck will be seized by now if you go to replace something, who knows what shape the fuel system is in, the 7.3 was designed for low sulphur diesel which had a lot more lubrication than the new ultra low sulphur diesel.

Personally if it were me I'd buy something different than a unit this old.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could easily end up putting 10-15k into the truck and have a $5000 truck still. I wouldn't buy it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$4500, a bit overpriced with all the issues, you still have the theft issue to deal with. likely has hit the end of it's life, unless ultra cheap, less than $1500, i'd pass. oilfield trucks are never looked after, that well at all.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he's in Logan Lake. It does look clean from the pictures. But the thought of it being a patch truck never really occurred to me, and now I think I'll steer clear

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he's in Logan Lake. It does look clean from the pictures. But the thought of it being a patch truck never really occurred to me, and now I think I'll steer clear

Not sure why, I always maintain my trucks. Always replace parts new, regular oil changes and run the best tires. We rely on our trucks to make money and getting to work is top priority. Got to protect your investment. Not all patch guys are idiots

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody has a different standard of maintenance.
Point is it is cheaper to buy a better unit than to repair an old one ...
Long gone are the days when you could buy something cheap and fix it up to save a buck or two....

Especially, with a diesel ....
One major repair and you are into the price range where you could of bought a 200k truck , not worth the risk .....

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True, unless you really know the truck it is a gamble. That being said 400k in the habit the right person is better then 200k in the hands of the wrong person. Definitely could be a gamble

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some patch trucks have excellent maintenance. Where down time costs money and tattle tales are plugged into the OBD2 port you get vehicles driven like granny but maintained by Goodwrench himself.
Too bad all the decent trucks with lower K and a normal price have been shipped south.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure why, I always maintain my trucks. Always replace parts new, regular oil changes and run the best tires. We rely on our trucks to make money and getting to work is top priority. Got to protect your investment. Not all patch guys are idiots

Ya I hear ya there. It could be a really good truck but like the other guys were saying, I over looked the fact that at 450k the truck itself could be due for pricey repairs/maintenance

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear ya there. It could be a really good truck but like the other guys were saying, I over looked the fact that at 450k the truck itself could be due for pricey repairs/maintenance

If your worried take it for a drive and make a appointment at the local dealer to have it inspected, might cost you $100 but can take some of the worry out of and could save you in the long run. The 7.3 was a very reliable and strong motor. Given the fact it's in Logan lake majority of those km are most likely hwy miles. I think the price is a little high but if the truck is sound might be worth it.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your worried take it for a drive and make a appointment at the local dealer to have it inspected, might cost you $100 but can take some of the worry out of and could save you in the long run. The 7.3 was a very reliable and strong motor. Given the fact it's in Logan lake majority of those km are most likely hwy miles. I think the price is a little high but if the truck is sound might be worth it.

450k on a truck I'm thinking the body won't be in good shape.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008.5 6.4L Diesel..... owned since day 1 Got hailed ou couple ears in a row so I bedlinered the entire truck, just under 120K on it. Was looking at a new Dodge it i's time for a new truck.
Not sure if anyone is looking for to a decent old ford.

Top Bottom