Need S&M Members Imput

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been tossing around the idea of throwing a 2" lug track on my sled. I'ts an F6 ext 144" 1.25" lug. Tunnel clearence is a non issue. I ride Trails and Mountains... most of the time the trails & cutlines I ride are deep and loose. I mostly boondock when I go to the mountains.

If any of you have gone to a 2" from a 1.5" or less on a similar sled (power / track length) please give me your imput / advice from your experience. I don't want to loose too much traction on hard packed trails with a 2" especially accelerating out of corners.

I know that the extra weight of the track and the additional effort to spin it will slow me down a bit but I will sacrifice that for better performance in the deep stuff. Clutching will solve this problem anyhow.

FYI, the Firecats have a 13.5" wide flipper, easier to spin due to less weight, but less floatation. Any input is welcome :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2008_0118F6trackshot0010.jpg
    2008_0118F6trackshot0010.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 102

rsw

Reaction score
One of my riding buddies did this to his F7 and went to a 151" .I'll see if he will post pics

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been tossing around the idea of throwing a 2" lug track on my sled. I'ts an F6 ext 144" 1.25" lug. Tunnel clearence is a non issue. I ride Trails and Mountains... most of the time the trails & cutlines I ride are deep and loose. I mostly boondock when I go to the mountains.

If any of you have gone to a 2" from a 1.5" or less on a similar sled (power / track length) please give me your imput / advice from your experience. I don't want to loose too much traction on hard packed trails with a 2" especially accelerating out of corners.

I know that the extra weight of the track and the additional effort to spin it will slow me down a bit but I will sacrifice that for better performance in the deep stuff. Clutching will solve this problem anyhow.

FYI, the Firecats have a 13.5" wide flipper, easier to spin due to less weight, but less floatation. Any imput is welcome :)

Thanks.
Scotty I'm not sure I feel comfortable talking seriously with you but my last sled was a 2000 600 summit. It came with a 1 3/4" 136. I swapped it out for a 2" 144 (15" wide) I also put smaller extrovert drivers on to gear it down a bit. The lower gearing and ability to run the track looser made up for the longer track. My little 600 had no trouble spinning it in deep snow here. Never made it to the mountains after I put the new track on. Your sled has more HP and the narrower track would be easier to spin. Can't say what'd happen to the traction, that was my first sled.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty I'm not sure I feel comfortable talking seriously with you ...

LOL :D Jokes asside... (You can feel comfortable talking seriously with me) :D Thanks for the input... maybe lower gearing combined with properly calibrated clutching can bring about the right combination with a 2" lug? Can't wait to experiment. I like the idea of extrovert drivers... I already run my track just a hair tighter than "ratcheting". A loose track, like you mentioned, puts more power to the ground. An F6 makes 120Hp and has plenty of twist for a six, so I think a 2" lug might be fun. :rolleyes: We'll see?

Top Bottom