need info on a teather

theslam19_98

Reaction score
ok i just bought a 1998 summit 670 x it has no teather with it and i want to get one now the guy here in town thinks i need to take my sled it to get it programed to my sled my sled has the post but does not have the cord he was not shure so i thought i would try to find out befor buying one

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the tethers are cheap, like 25 or 30 bucks and if it's DESS it will have to be programmed to your sled. on the plus side, they will also tell you if it has been stolen.....

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the tethers are cheap, like 25 or 30 bucks and if it's dess it will have to be programmed to your sled. On the plus side, they will also tell you if it has been stolen.....

yup, could be stolen, and it shouldn't run without the DESS.......... Martin farm equipment charges about $70.00 if you buy the dess they program it too..... All for about $70.00 total(remember to show your asa card for the 10% discount)

theslam19_98

Reaction score
the tethers are cheap, like 25 or 30 bucks and if it's DESS it will have to be programmed to your sled. on the plus side, they will also tell you if it has been stolen.....

what is a DESS sorry i am new and i have a the old reg for this sled it is not stolen i looked in to it

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is a DESS sorry i am new and i have a the old reg for this sled it is not stolen i looked in to it
ski doo went to DESS instead of a key, the tether has a microchip inside, it is programmed for each sled specifically and the tethers are not interchangeable. your buddy's tether will let your sled start, but not rev up to engagement. a stolen sled will pretty much have to be parted out unless the bad guys have a computer to program the cords. saw one on ebay for $2500....so I guess it's possible. lose your tether and you're pooched until you get a new one programmed for your sled. they need your sled to to program the new tether as well.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now here is the weird this sled starts and drives no problem he said he has disconted it but i want it
must not be DESS tether maybe? does the post have one contact or two on it? if it has 2 it's not DESS...but it should have a key. that is odd....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i just bought a 1998 summit 670 x it has no teather with it and i want to get one now the guy here in town thinks i need to take my sled it to get it programed to my sled my sled has the post but does not have the cord he was not shure so i thought i would try to find out befor buying one
I don't think DESS was available on the '98 sleds. It should be just a safety tether. Any one that fits the post should work. Is there a button on the end of the post that you can push in?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think DESS was available on the '98 sleds. It should be just a safety tether. Any one that fits the post should work. Is there a button on the end of the post that you can push in?
the HO models (SummitX in '98, MXZ and Summit in '99) had DESS. he should have a key if it is a non DESS model. wonder if someone slapped a non HO 670 in the X model...hmm.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the ho models (summitx in '98, mxz and summit in '99) had dess. He should have a key if it is a non dess model. Wonder if someone slapped a non ho 670 in the x model...hmm.

yup, '98 summitx 670 had dess for sure....someone rewired the dess??? Hmmmmmmmm, did you check the serial # of the chassis and the engine?? Did you check with registries???

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

my two cents...DESS sucks!! i mean its nice knowing that you have the security of it but halfway up the side of a mtn and the sled dies :rant: because the cord got nudged...can a person remove the dess and how hard would it be?

theslam19_98

Reaction score
ok the post has a little metal nipple on top and a metal ring around it on the side the tunnel is the same as the paper work i am going to the regerster it on monday

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ok the post has a little metal nipple on top and a metal ring around it on the side the tunnel is the same as the paper work i am going to the regerster it on monday

let us know how it turns out... It is almost impossible to bypass the dess using the stock mpem(computer), as it needs a specific chip in the dess key to allow the sled to run. Is the DPM still hooked up, or is it all removed on your sled>?.... Interesting.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I have been told, it's impossible to bypass the DESS. is there an MPEM brain box visible in the engine compartment theslam? if it's an HO 670, it should have two sensors coming out the back of the head.
670ho.jpg

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
here is some pics of the sled might help thanks every one

[media]http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd230/theslam19_98/sled/?action=view&current=sled5.jpg[/media]

i see it has pipes, and the factory oil injection is removed(i suspect is has shorty plates), and don't see all the wiring for the mpem or the dpm, so i suspect you have to premix the oil? And jet for altitudes? Mine is similar('99 670x summit w/ 151" track), but we need another pic of the back of the engine and the carb area....like teeroy says, back of the head is a sure sign of the 670x engine

Top Bottom