Need Help

Sir Rott

Reaction score
I am trying to locate the ECU on my 2006 Honda Rancher AT 400. I don't have much experience on ATV repair. I sort of rode my ATV into a creek last weekend and have done everything to it but check out the ECU. It runs great but it will not move. I have talked to the shop and they told me what to check but they will not go into detail.

Thanks,

Sir Rott:

( Up a creek3.jpg

Last edited:

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
I am not totally sure exactly where it is located,, most likely in front of your stearing shaft, or in the rear of the machine, if you follow this link and find your year and model of bike it shows what it looks like under wireing harness, I already looked at it. Control Unit.
Welcome to RIVA Motorsports on the World Wide Web!
hope it helps, I check out this site when working on my stuff.

Sir Rott

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I found it and it did have a little water in the connectors. I blew it all out and it seems to be fine until I start it and then it goes back to flashing ESP. So I think I will need a new ECU.

Sir Rott

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I found it and it did have a little water in the connectors. I blew it all out and it seems to be fine until I start it and then it goes back to flashing ESP. So I think I will need a new ECU.

Sir Rott
It could be a shift sensor if your quad has esp. I had that problem on mine, but it still moved, it just wouldn't shift properly.

Sir Rott

Reaction score
Posted pics of the event leading to this problem. In a album under my profile.

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before you buy ECM also check the relays behind / under the seat the can get water as well and will do what you are having, clean and grease accordingly

Sir Rott

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have cleaned and greased every connection. After that task was done when you turn on the key and reset the computer it reads fine until you start it and then it goes into coding. The code it flashes is five flashes.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it runs fine then you probably don't need an ECU. Pull the shift sensor and dry it out.

Sir Rott

Reaction score
Got machine back from shop and they had to install a new angle sensor. The cost was a mere $69.50 for labor and $100 for parts. Thanks to all who supplied support.

Top Bottom