Nearly 300 contractors replaced with temporary foreign workers

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was unlike any Labour Day Ryan Louis had experienced.
As hundreds of pipefitters and welders arrived at Husky Energy’s Sunrise project for their weeks-long shifts, a company spokesperson told the crew of approximately 270 this would be their last.
Their replacements?
An equal number of temporary foreign workers brought in by Saipem, a non-union Italian company specializing in oil and gas construction projects.
Over the next 30 days, dozens of temporary foreign workers from Mexico, Ireland, Portugal and Italy were arriving at the site 60 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, waiting for turnover
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/20...oyees-replaced-with-temporary-foreign-workers

http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/2013/10/07/canadian-employees-replaced-with-temporary-foreign-workers

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
RBC & Tim Hortons have done it in the past and until the loopholes are closed and political decision makers can't be bought it will continue to happen.

It is one thing to use foreign workers to do a job when no other workers can be found But to replace existing Alberta workers with foreign workers is absolutely WRONG.....

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This will only get worse as corporations and goverments keep getting away with this. This is the second time I've heard of huge numbers of Canadians being phucked out of high paying jobs by this BS program. It happened over here in northeast BC with 200 miners. They weren't actually working for the company though, but they had hundreds of Canadian applicants that they ignored to bring in Chinese miners instead. It seems that the corporations are getting even bolder using /abusing this TFW program. We all have our present federal government to thank for taking food out of the mouths of it's own citizens and handing it to someone from a foriegn country.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I personally don't get it.... If there is a cost savings for the company I don't see it. One of my previous employers was looking into the possibility of TFW however the cost was prohibative. the empolyer is responsible for transportation, lodging and similar pay scale compared to local. then there are the hidden costs of increased insurance, translators, re-formatting operations & safety manuals into other languages etc. Even with my current company we are unable to find Carpenters, Skilled Laborers & especially ticketed Iron workers. Our HR department is looking into TWF but are quickly realizing it is actually cheaper to sponsor someone for citizenship and re-locate them. May not be a possibility with some countries but we are looking to the US & Europe.

Maybe we are missing something but fiscal savings is not one of the benefits of TFW's.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what frock is referring to Controversy over Chinese miners in B.C. prompts flood of angry letters | CTV News

A Chinese owned mine in BC hiring only Chinese workers from China...WTF ? Our resources making the Chinese wealthy.

The trucking industry is hiring highway haulers from all over the world, most of them have never seen snow let alone drive in it.

Nearly all this money just goes away out of the country into other nations economy and it just artificially lowers our wages...where is the upside?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in one of the greatest countries in the world,but are heading downhill FAST(IMHO)
We as a country are filthy stinking rich in renewable and non renewable's. Alot of people
figure we are dead in the water without immigrant workers.I dissagree.
Company profit's go up ,up and up,while wages are realistically level or going down.
Example-almost 10 years ago starting wage at Tim's in town here was $14 an hour.(They had to pay
that to get workers.) Now we are being flooded with immigrant workers(keep in mind it's 10 year's later)
they are paying between $11 and $12.
Housing has gone way way up,the general cost of living has gone way up and wages have dropped.WTF.....

I know this is just an entry level job and it's not in oil and gas like most of us are,but it's still a real example of
where we as a country are headed.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal guys. More than 70% of our natural resources are foreign owned. This particular thing that's happening is with Husky. Owned by a rich billionaire Chinese man. These corporations want their profits and they will get them even if they have to starve the locals out. If this continues it will drag our economy down the tube. For example. The people who do work buy homes, cars, trucks, quads, RV's, buy insurance, pay local taxes, pay provincial taxes, pay federal taxes. Now you take hundreds of money spending people out of the equation, bring in TFW (they aren't spending money here) and see how long it take for the economy to go in the toilet. Everyone in Canada should raise this concern with their MP and MLA including the opposition parties. This TFW program is no laughing matter.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't get it.... If there is a cost savings for the company I don't see it. One of my previous employers was looking into the possibility of TFW however the cost was prohibative. the empolyer is responsible for transportation, lodging and similar pay scale compared to local. then there are the hidden costs of increased insurance, translators, re-formatting operations & safety manuals into other languages etc. Even with my current company we are unable to find Carpenters, Skilled Laborers & especially ticketed Iron workers. Our HR department is looking into TWF but are quickly realizing it is actually cheaper to sponsor someone for citizenship and re-locate them. May not be a possibility with some countries but we are looking to the US & Europe.

Maybe we are missing something but fiscal savings is not one of the benefits of TFW's.

The objective is to drive down labour costs across the board!! Plain and simple.

summitguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look what happened in the uk . All the French and Polish people come over to work Monday/Friday they get paid and take it back to there country .. No money spent in the uk but all of it taken out .. I call bs ,,,, you work here you live here then u dam will can spend it here and support this awesome province / country ...

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing allowing this to happen is the fact Canadians are spineless and allow it to happen. People need to rise up and put a stop to this FN BS!

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowdin is right ,this is no laughing matter. Riverjet is also right IMO.We as a people are spineless.
Quebec is a place I hate,but at least they have the ball's to bitch and protest.
Many big companies have moved their call centre's off shore that is very very wrong as well.
If the revenue is being generated here,then as many dollar's as possible should stay here.
Bell for example made a cool 2.6 B B B B Billion dollars last year in net profits,but when I phone
customer service to complain about mistakes on my bill,I talk to some one half way around the globe.
I ALWAYS ask to talk to someone in CANADA.When they ask why, I say because that's where I am.

I think alot of guy's on here that are in the patch think they are safe and a foreigner couldn't do their
job.If anyone think's that I would say Wake up,your dreaming.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing allowing this to happen is the fact Canadians are spineless and allow it to happen. People need to rise up and put a stop to this FN BS!

No truer words have been spoken!!! I for one am sick of this as well. I recently had a change in ownership at my plant and while going through the paperwork there was a identity form to fill out. Caucasian was only one small line but the visible minority line had about twenty extra lines to it! Born and raised Canadians are loosing there rights and beliefs to a foreign idea, when my kid is my age I wonder what flag will actually be flying in the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it all of these workers are from other continents. What's wrong with putting the offer out there for US residents to hop on a plane for a 14/7 shift in ft. Mac? I'm sure there are lots of talented tradesman who would suffer out the cold and moose!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Things could change very quickly in this country. I've been a well site super for 16 years and I really do fear losing my job. China bought another oil company recently (Can't remember name off hand). If they continue to buy out the patch they could easily send thousands of supervisor type replacements over here in November (we stay in camps all winter so they could too) then fly them back to China in April. We go broke and they spend no money here to keep the economy going.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a born and raised Alberta worker, and not as a Mod for the site.

Get off of your lazy ass Union ways of thinking, and get **** done!!!!!

Unfortunately with the huge influx of workers from other places, this get ****done mentality doesn't exist like it used to.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Like I always said the oil boom did F-all for me sure my wage went up but so did everything housing, gas, groceries and customer service went in the toilet

Top Bottom